Thread: Spring Time Flies for creeks/rivers

Default Spring Time Flies for creeks/rivers

So Im a brand new fly fisherman (started last fall) and was wondering what kind of flies work best for early spring fishing in the creeks and rivers around here? I was learning on dolly llamas (?) but for some reason I have a feeling thats not what I should use for early spring fishing. Any tips or ideas on what to use would be a great help. Also my knowledge of what alot of flies are called is pretty slim. Pictures or descriptions are highly recommended! lol Thanks guys!

Llama's, leeches, smolt, flesh and beads will get you through the whole year. Stick w/ the llamas this spring.

I agree with Big / Fat / Skinny those will get you through just about any Alaska fishing most of the year. I am a Free Stone stream guy most of the time and I like to fish Free Stone Stream flies most of the time. If I was dregging I would carry some heavy weighted Stones Nymphs as well as Caddis Nymphs and Woolley Buggers. Food for thought most creek in the Spring on the Parks and the Kenai all have a reasonable stone fly population hence the nymphs as well as the buggers. I use a little yellow and med Black stone bead head soft hackle in the Spring and tend to do fairly well.

Best wishes.

BMR

Definitely have some dolly llamas in your arsenal. I would also include some white ESL bunnies is a sz. 6 and never, I mean never, leave home without cotton candies.

Fish what you did in the fall. Also have a supply of salmon smolt imitations. Talk to the local fly shop, too; the guys there have all spent many years fishing the Parks Hwy and have a good supply of the flies that work; if its slow when you walk in they may show you how to tie a pattern, too. If you see fish hitting the top a bunch, usually a little later in spring, toward mid to late May, before you put on a dry, put on a smolt pattern (small minnow-juvenile salmon) and fish it with no weight. Some good general patterns for this are white zonkers, white woolly buggers, and Mickey Finn, to name a few.

steak and eggs, ginger bunny leaches, beads, flesh, flesh, flesh and more flesh