Thread: savage model 111 fcns clip falls out

Default savage model 111 fcns clip falls out

Gentlemen...I purchased a new savage as noted, in 338 win mag. Everytime I send a bullet downrange the clip wants to fall out...anyone else with this problem? This is NOT what I need as I am going north (moose and maybe bear) this fall and don't need a problem looking for a place to happen. Secondly, I am going to try a load with 225 gr. nosler part. bullets...is the 225 a good go to bullet? Got lots of imr 4831, any suggested loads...thanks Desertdog

Having the detachable box magazine fall out on every shot would be a big turn off for me. How about a return for some warranty work?

The 225 grain Nosler Partitions are great bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Falling out

Sounds like the rifle needs a trip to the gun smith or the factory. My son-in-law is still looking for the detachable magazine for his 30-06 Savage. Lost it about 7 years a go. I guese they work in some guns and other hunters must like that feature. I have heard of them being lost on hunting trips. Everyone has their own idea on what a gun should be like but I would not want a detachable magazine on my Alaskan big game rifle.

Not to be too much of a wise ass but you did buy a savage. What did you expect. There is no free luch and there is no Cheap/Dependable rifles.

Every client I have that has a clip fed gun has some trouble with in a weeks time we spend together. Everyone. They are a solution to a non exisitant problem.

As for the 338, I have used the 225 Nosler and 230 FS with a caseful of RL22. Alliant has data that stops alittle short, work from there measuring your cases as you go.

Default TIP

This is a common problem with large bore and magnum rifles. A Professional Hunter friend of mine in S. Africa said every time a client showed up with a detachable box magazine or a rifle with a floorplate release, regardless of brand. He would get out the duct tape and tape the magazine well so it wouldn't open accidently. It's not desireable on any rifle to have your second round fall on your shoes after the first round is fired. It's probably the spring which holds the mag release is too light. Call Savage and they should give you a return authorization for warranty repair. Barring that if you need your rifle tommorow get out the duct tape. Good luck...!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    This is a common problem with large bore and magnum rifles. A Professional Hunter friend of mine in S. Africa said every time a client showed up with a detachable box magazine or a rifle with a floorplate release, regardless of brand. He would get out the duct tape and tape the magazine well so it wouldn't open accidently. It's not desireable on any rifle to have your second round fall on your shoes after the first round is fired. It's probably the spring which holds the mag release is too light. Call Savage and they should give you a return authorization for warranty repair. Barring that if you need your rifle tommorow get out the duct tape. Good luck...!
    Let's don't classify a Savage with a detachable magazine with ALL rifles with hinged floorplates. I have fired MANY rifles, well designed rifles, with correctly designed floorplate latches without the rifle spilling it's guts at the first shot. There are many cheaply made and poorly designed rifles that dump the bottom at the shot and they can only be fixed by spending more than they are worth. Best bet is buy a good one in the first place.

All of Africa is biased toward the Mauser and they are good and reliable but there are others than are as good and better. Savage just isn't on the list.

The simple latch on the Savage doesn't need a trip to the smith or the factory just bend the latch until it holds, it's not like your going to hurt a good rifle. My gosh! What do you expect for 400 bucks? If it was worth a flip it would have cost some money. That's like buying a Remington 788 and griping about the magazine latch.

I agree with BigHorn on this one, what did you expect? Nothing wrong with buying a beater rifle but you should expect to beat on it once in a while. Also, I would MUCH prefer a blind magazine than any lousy detachable mag any day! What on earth were gun makers thinking....Oh, I know, they are cheaper to make. I knew there was an answer.

If you cut corners sooner or later it will bite you in the butt! Someone said I said that, maybe I'll make it my quote.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

So you have a bolt gun that has a "clip" in it, I would think it would be the manufacturer's intention for the "clip" to eject away from the rifle after being fired... like an M1 Garand.....

Oh, I guess we meant the "magazine" falls out.... yeah well that would tick me off too!

DUCT TAPE time.........

- Clint

Thanks for the repys guys..yep cheap rifle..shoots 3/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 250 gr rem. core locks..for a couple thou more I could bring the group size down. Clip problem solved..first clip came with rifle can't be right..bought extra clip and it is staying put...a little difrence in rear tang on clip. Now I realize maybe you haven't used a savage, I challange you to try one and give an honest opion. This one has accutrigger, one of the reasons I went that way. I do have a budget, looked at tikka and vanguard and chose the savage. Heavier in the barrel, clip (which I thought was good idea for quick load changes) and trigger pull. I do not need a pretty wall hanger. If it is just a bad clip..then you guys feel free to laugh at my "cheap savage"..not saying anymore then that till I get another 4 or 5 boxes threw just to check that it does not recure. Glad to hear its just not a savage problem. Thanks for the imput! Desertdog

Default detachable clips, etc.

Likewise, not trying to be a wise*&! here either but... that is exactly why I don't like clip mags in such rifles. They either get dinged then won't seat right, they get lost or they fall out at the wrong time. Never saw a fixed box mag whether in blind or hinged floor plate config. do anything. On hinged floorplates.... for hard use hunting rifles or for dangerous game most floorplates can be easily and temporarily pinned so they won't open. Have done it on a couple of rifles. Duct tape works also if you don't like the idea of adding a 1/16" hole to a floorplate latch. Just a thought

Some of the newer Savages that I have seen are a LOT better than the older guns that are causing the rude remarks. Plus they are pretty accurate. I can't see how anyone could get excited about a Tikka with plastic parts and then rag on the newer Savages.
    Note that I own neither, but have worked on both.

That said,
    I am not a fan of detachable magazines for bolt action rifles. They tend to either fall out at bad times or they let dirt and junk into the action form another area. Even expensive FNUSA Sniper rifles with detachable magazines have problems.

BTW. A "clip" is a metal devise that holds ammunition for insertion into the weapon's magazine. The Mausers, Enfields and Springfields used a 5 round metal clips that looked like a rail. The M-1 Garand used an 8 round en-block clip that held the ammo together as it was inserted into the weapons magazine. The empty M-1 Garand clip was ejected when all the ammo was expended.
    Military 5.56mm ammo also comes on 10 round clips for fast loading of the M-16 magazines. The ammo is stripped into the magazine using an adapter called a stripper clip guide or in military slang, (a spoon).

A clip does not have a spring or follower to move the ammunition into a loading position.
    A Magazine does. Your rifle has a detachable box magazine.

Default A Savage World...

Now that we have beat you up over your Savage and choice of phraseology, I'd like to clearify some things.

Your Savage has some weak points but many users of them claim good accuracy. I think what more money would buy you is reliability more so than accuracy, and perhaps good looks. Even in ugly rifles high reliability is the most important thing. Doesn't it make sense that if 50% of your magazines have failed that you should be learry of them and not rely on them too heavily?

My point is just that in a less expensive tool there is and should be a higher chance of failure with one than with one of better quality and design.

I have seen many Savage rifles of the M110 series including the accutrigger. I have no desire to own one but if I did I would not trust the rifle to deliver flawlessly, when the chips are down.

And as for your "clip", as FP pointed out it is a magazine, but I might take this opportunity to ask a question of the "clipsters" out there. What holds the ammo for the 6.5x52mm Carcano carbine? How does it work and how many were found at the 6th floor hideout of the book depository building in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963. Study the questions carefully. Please post your answers at the "Clip" post at the top.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Junk

Yup, Savage Arms are dangerous and worthless clubs....and ugly....to save yourselves all the embarassment and danger of owning them....you should send them all to .....me. But only the lefthanded, stainless ones.....and not the 338's, already got one. Thanks guys.

Default Murph CARANO CLIPS

The Carcano M38 (or M91/38 ) rifle is a Mannlicher-type clip fed internal magazine. A clip 6 rounds clip, ( they had brass and steel) is inserted into the magazine (top of the action) until an internal latch grips it. Operating the bolt causes the follower pushes the next round up for the bolt.
    The empty clip falls out of the magazine when the last round is chambered. it is not generally recommended that you attempt shoot the Carcano rifles with single rounds loaded manually. The reason is that the extractor on the bolt is designed to pick up the round from the magazine. The bolt will often not close on singly loaded rounds.

Carcano Short rifle M 91/38 bearing serial number C2766, produced in 1940 in the Terni Arsenal, and chambered for the 6.5x52mm Carcano, is supposedly the rifle used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate President John F. Kennedy. A Japanese made side-mounted 4x18 scope (imported by Ordnance Optics Inc., Hollywood, California, was installed installed by the mail-order distributor of the rifle, Klein's Sporting Goods of Chicago.
    The scope is monted on the left side of the receiver so the clips could still be fed into the action.

There is a debate about the Carcano clip. The national archieves claims to have one brass clip from the rifle itself. If one round was chambered and three expended brass casings were found, that means that the clip would still be inside the rifle whe it was discovered. Having read the reports, it looks like a bunch of non-gun folks made a bunch of observations before they ever had their facts straight.

I want some "stripper clips" for my new .375 RUM....

- Clint

Savage will replace the "detachable magazine" no problem..new one still holding no sign of moving..other was just a dud I guess. Thanks to you all for the advice....desertdog