Thread: K&N air filters

Default K&N air filters

Just wanted to see who all runs K&N filters, and can you tell any difference in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy View Post
    Just wanted to see who all runs K&N filters, and can you tell any difference in performance?
    I've used K&N's on sports cars, and have seen performance improvements when coupled with a high flow exhaust system.

I wouldn't put one on my ATV though, for fear that dust would get into the EFI. I will tune into future posts on this thread that might show my fear to be less than valid.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I've used K&N's on sports cars, and have seen performance improvements when coupled with a high flow exhaust system.

I wouldn't put one on my ATV though, for fear that dust would get into the EFI. I will tune into future posts on this thread that might show my fear to be less than valid.
    Your spot on FM, K&N and similar filters accomplish their claims of increased performance by increasing airflow, and that means less filtration, plain and simple. I'll stick with OEM spec filters for every engine I run, thank you very much.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yup, I have run them on one of my quads in the past and wasn't impressed, had dirt getting through. I'd recommend a UNI, Twins or other foam air filter, I personally run UNI or OEM filters.

I run K and N on everything.
    Can't say it makes more horsepower on the wheelers, but I put 'em cause they are quality filters and I know I'll never buy another.
    I believe they are a step up on the OEM filter that comes on the wheeler.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I run K and N on everything.
    Can't say it makes more horsepower on the wheelers, but I put 'em cause they are quality filters and I know I'll never buy another.
    I believe they are a step up on the OEM filter that comes on the wheeler.
    BK
    Dito this statement!! Also oiled foam filters are great for dusty conditions but if you going to be running in sand stick with paper, sand goes right through foam filters.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks for all the input on this topic, I think i will stay with what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy View Post
    Thanks for all the input on this topic, I think i will stay with what works.
    Me too, but thanks for bringing this up anyway. I kicked things off here with my shot in the dark response (a race car is quite dissimilar to an ATV) saying my guess, and present unfounded preference (for ATVs). Now my choice, which still has not changed, is not so unfounded.

I run a UNI on my 550 and a K&N on my 700. Both machines run in similar conditions. As far as filtration go, they are both upgrades from the stock filters. Performance? Not really noticeable. I can notice better throttle response after I clean it, but that goes for all dirty air filters. I like the UNI. Cheap, and much tougher than stock.