Thread: Polaris Hawkeye Charging System

Default Polaris Hawkeye Charging System

My wife's Polaris Hawkeye has been having some problems while running. The battery is fairly new but is pretty much dead after running. I checked the charging system tonight and it is only running around 8.5-9 volts. I can jump start the machine and it will run, although the electronic speedometer doesn't always operate very well, flashing on/off. And if I turn the headlights on, it immediately dies. This makes sense since the charging system can't run everything.

My question is, how do these machines charge? I know there isn't an alternator. I've seen stuff online regarding a "stator," and perhaps a voltage regulator, although I haven't narrowed down whether this Hawkeye has one/both/either. Figured I would come here first for thoughts and opinions and ideas on what to look for and where to go.

Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

The hawkeyes are notourious for frying stators. The ones they came with were already under power to if you add anything like a winch or heated grips or pretty much any 12v Accessory it really puts a strain on things. If it is bad you should replace it with one from a sportsman 500 or the like.

Also the hawkeyes were notorious for cracked welds on the rear a arms where it
    meets the frame it's not something you would normally check so be sure look it over once in a while .. I had one for a year and it was nothing but problems so I got rid of it.

How do you test the stators? Do they also have a regulator? This has been a great bike for my wife. She doesn't ride it hard, mostly beach stuff and up easy trails with the kids. My 7 year old daughter is learning to ride on it as well. Great size for her, auto trans is smooth. Will the stator from the 500 bolt right up?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

It would be difficult for you to test the stator and the regulator. What I suggest is to disconnect the regulator and if the voltage go up the regulator is bad. If the voltage does not increase with out the regulator you may have a short. Do not run the bike with out a regulator or you will burn out all the lights.

The yes it also has a voltage regulator. That keeps everything at or around 12 V a tad higher at higher RPM's but never more than 18V. When a voltage regulator goes bad you will know it. The headlights and other bulbs will blow constantly because they are receiving too much power. You can check the Stator by unplugging the voltage regulator and using a multi-meter at the plug coming from the stator to the voltage regulator. What is should read I dont know you will have to refer to the service manual since they are all different depending on accessories and the factory stator size. Best bet would be drop it by the dealer and have them check it out if you arent comfortable with electronics. Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes depending where the VR is located.