Thread: Best Moon Phase for Halibut

Default Best Moon Phase for Halibut

Is there a best Moon phase for Halibut fishing? My wife and I will be tourists fishing Halibut out of Saldovia during the third week of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Snope View Post
    Is there a best Moon phase for Halibut fishing? My wife and I will be tourists fishing Halibut out of Saldovia during the third week of July.
    Not as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people have a preference for fishing slack tide, or when the tide is running, but I have caught plenty of halibut at both times, times in between, when the moon is full and/or any time in between.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Real small tides suck, and big monster tides suck! The med tides are the best, but I will take monster tides over small tides any time!

Charterboat Operator

I love fishing monster tide's!!!! it gives me current in spots that most of the time will not have any!! Any body who targets big fish in shallow water knows the bites better when the tide is moving your lines at about a 45 angel, rather your using 8 ounces or 2lbs. when the tide runs hard I get closer to the beach and shallow up and when there small I get to anchor on all those cool rock piles I other wise have to drift over! that's what we do!!!

Best phase is any time you are on the water. Can't catch anything from the couch

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Real small tides suck, and big monster tides suck! The med tides are the best, but I will take monster tides over small tides any time!
    That's been my experience too. I'm not on the the Peninsula, but I still pick my fishing days and my boat work days by the tide book.

Default Very interesting Capt Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    I love fishing monster tide's!!!! it gives me current in spots that most of the time will not have any!! Any body who targets big fish in shallow water knows the bites better when the tide is moving your lines at about a 45 angel, rather your using 8 ounces or 2lbs. when the tide runs hard I get closer to the beach and shallow up and when there small I get to anchor on all those cool rock piles I other wise have to drift over! that's what we do!!!
    I've had the same experience fishing grouper in Florida. Thanks for the reply.