Thread: Crabbing 2012

Default Crabbing 2012

Hey,
    I'm taking a trip to Alaska in June and I was wondering if, and where we can do some crabbing. Regulations would be nice as well. Thanks!

What part of Alaska will you be in? You specific locale will dictate whether it's a possibility or not.

I'd like to add a crabbing question to this thread. What are the basics of setting in the right place ? Sometimes it seems idiot proof and other times we get skunked with a similar setup. A shallow bay with a creek or river flowing in ? How do you pick one spot over another ? Any preference to salmon scraps versus herring ? Thanks

It would help to know where? Nome or Ketchikan makes a big difference!

check here for most of the needed info on regs:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    I'd like to add a crabbing question to this thread. What are the basics of setting in the right place ? Sometimes it seems idiot proof and other times we get skunked with a similar setup. A shallow bay with a creek or river flowing in ? How do you pick one spot over another ? Any preference to salmon scraps versus herring ? Thanks
    Map, I'm assuming dungies. We do the best at the outlets of creeks or rivers. We typically put our pots out in 25 feet at high or less. Water doesn't have to be pretty. Our best spot is always muddy (at least on the surface) and is near a pretty big river outflow. The bottom there has a lot of sandbars and we drop in the guts. Smaller creeks can be good as well but if helps if the salmon are running or have run and you have some dead washout...that helps the crabbing.

For bait we use salmon and halibut heads and the riper the better. We keep our salmon heads in a bucket after we clean them and after a couple of days they are prime bait. When we get desperate though, a whole or half chicken works pretty dang well. I've not had much luck with herring.

TY superdave that's just the kind of help I was looking for. Should be helpful for alaskantrip too.

In California when I was growing up we used to hit the local processer up for "rockcod" carcasses (quoted cause there are many different types) We used to catch the dogsnot outta dungies with ring traps.

I wish we had a dungie fishery near South-Central (as in PWS or CI)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

A location would help a lot. Homer has had a tanner crab fishery that reopened in 08 but that may change this year. last year they closed K-Bay early in the season. The season for tanners normally opens July 15th.
    Dungies are typically a shallow water species say 75' or less whereas when we fish Tanners we like to fish 300'+.
    I make a ground up bait(salmon carcasses leftover herring etc.) in an old hand crank meat grinder and add a salmon or cod carcass or two to the pot. The longer the soak the more hanging bait I like to add.
    Tanner fishing requires a boat and normally some kind of pot puller. There are a few guides who drop crab pots if you are fishing with a guide you could inquire about it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"