Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Shape (for us old timers)....

Default Sheep Shape (for us old timers)....

Just wondering how many here over 50 keep on a routine workout schedule? What do you do? How often?

Personally I've just been getting back into working out....(drew a goat tag). Been working out with the wife to her Julian Michaels CD..."Ripped in 30". Lets face it, her CD may be for overweight people, but I doubt it takes into consideration older folks.

Today it felt like I put on the 2.5 pounds that I did last week........you know...birthday cake, ice cream, pizza.....Phewwww.....IT KICKED MY ASS...!!! and it's actually pretty easy stuff. Well at least up to the second week that I've been on now for over a month!!!....lol

You old timers around here try and stay in shape...???

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

jeeez....thanks man...over 50 and WE are the OLD TIMERS...I think I'll go fix a glass of geritol and then maybe start some high fiber oatmeal...or maybe just do a 30 minute on elliptical, (yup knees are gone) and then the life cycle...or a nice long walk...still works to get out no matter what you are doing...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    jeeez....thanks man...over 50 and WE are the OLD TIMERS...
    Ha...!!! I only say that because that's what the young'uns think. No, I don't "feel" old until I do some of these workouts and my body tells me so.

Oh and don't forget the Metamucil.....!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Just wondering how many here over 50 keep on a routine workout schedule? What do you do? How often?

Personally I've just been getting back into working out....(drew a goat tag). Been working out with the wife to her Julian Michaels CD..."Ripped in 30". Lets face it, her CD may be for overweight people, but I doubt it takes into consideration older folks.

Today it felt like I put on the 2.5 pounds that I did last week........you know...birthday cake, ice cream, pizza.....Phewwww.....IT KICKED MY ASS...!!! and it's actually pretty easy stuff. Well at least up to the second week that I've been on now for over a month!!!....lol

CURIOUS....What goat tag did u get? I was in terrible shape 8 yrs ago when I drew a goat tag. I spent that summer scouting the area and come time for the hunt I was in the best shape I;d been in the previous ten yrs. In fact, I had a guy at work at the time criticizing me for even putting in for one. And I honestly didn't know if I could do it. By fall, I had drastically reduced my blood pressure and felt great. Result? Ten yr old 10" goat.mounted goat.jpg
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Wait until you get to 63 and see what it takes to get in sheep,goat, or bear shape!!! I walked through the snow with Jake last Spring in the Talkeetnas` and getting ready for that hunt was no bargain. I weighed 247 when I started my diet and workout and left for Alaska at 212--- still overweight but it was the best I could do at my age. My legs were in good shape and I push myself to the max. My heart is still heathy and I`m going back after that grizzly this Fall, again with Jake. Each year it gets harder but if you are as driven as I you can do it. I killed a nice sheep(37")in 2005 in the Alaska range when I was 54 and killed a 50" goat in Misty when I was 58. I diet "drastically", cut back substantially on the booze, and hike the woods and hills daily. I`ve got to get that bear soon as I`m not sure my body is up for this routine much longer. A good friend of mine once said sarcastically," Youth is a wonderful thing. Too bad it`s wasted on young people"!!! Good luck to everyone--young and old!!

[QUOTE=4merguide;1115396]Just wondering how many here over 50 keep on a routine workout schedule? What do you do? How often?

You old timers around here try and stay in shape...???[/QUOTE

30 minutes on the bike
    5 warmup 20 minutes at level 12 with 160BPM cooldown
    3 sets of 12 squats on the half ball with 30 pounds
    3 sets of 12 leg lifts Knee to chest
    3 sets of 12 leg lifts legs straight
    3 sets of 12 mixed straight and knee lifts
    3 sets of 24 walking lunges with 40lbs
    3 sets of leg extentions 120lbs on the machine
    3 sets of 12 hamstring pulls? on the machine 100lbs
    3 sets of squats in a lay down machine 120lbs
    3sets of planks for 30 seconds each
    3 sets of crunches
    Various leg stretches after
    Some bench press and arm work
    i'll mix in burpees later
    I've lost 15 pounds since January and i can run for miles .I am sore every other day but i am ripping the muscles good and my strength is really improved.I am 53 6' 185 lbs.I feel great and if this is not enough i will do crossfit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    CURIOUS....What goat tag did u get? I was in terrible shape 8 yrs ago when I drew a goat tag. I spent that summer scouting the area and come time for the hunt I was in the best shape I;d been in the previous ten yrs. In fact, I had a guy at work at the time criticizing me for even putting in for one. And I honestly didn't know if I could do it. By fall, I had drastically reduced my blood pressure and felt great. Result? Ten yr old 10" goat.mounted goat.jpg
    Excellent...!!! I drew DG334. Years ago I helped a buddy kill a goat in there. So I know the area a little and am looking forward to getting back in there again.

Don't get me wrong, to look at me you probably wouldn't think I am outta shape. And I'm really not that bad. I'm about 5'8" and 174 lbs. The first year out of high school I was 160, so I'm really not that overweight. I'd like to get down to 160 again, but if I can stay at 165-170, with some of that being rebuilt muscle, I think I'll be alright. It's just all these little aches and pains I get when I try to workout. Today was the first time that I didn't feel like I was going to pull my calf muscle again. The trick, and I've known it for a long time, is to do some pretty good stretching for awhile before workout. I think I'm finally not in denial anymore about getting your stretches in. I feel now, that even if I don't workout, I need to at least do some form of stretching everyday. When I was guiding, all I had to do was workout for a month before the opener and would be in tip top shape. It's amazing now to see how long it's going to take for me personally to feel even close to sheep shape again. But at least I'm trying.

Last summer my daughter beat me at a running race. I felt a muscle pulling so I stopped. Fact is she had a pretty good jump on me from the get go. I told her when she called me on my birthday last week that I would be wanting a rematch.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    A good friend of mine once said sarcastically," Youth is a wonderful thing. Too bad it`s wasted on young people"!!!
    Now ain't that the truth....!!! A buddy of mine just turned 60 and after he got a personal trainer last year, he told me he is in the best shape of his life. You're as young as you feel.....I just wish my mind would tell my body that when I'm working out.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

I'll remember that when I'm making my way up the mountain on my walker.The walker does make a good shooting rest while sheep hunting. I can clamp my spotting scope to it as well and save having to carry a tripod.

59, had my right ACL replaced 5 months ago. Back to walking 5 miles a day now including lots of hills. Was pretty easy to get back to this point as I walked before the surgery. Walk 2-3 days in a row then skip a day. Son and I are headed to the Wrangels in August, moose in Sept, then onto Kodiak for a 10 day black tail hunt in November.

Sometimes I think sheep hunters take it to far to the extreme. You don't have to ripped and capable of running marathons. You just need to be in pretty good health and have the desire to get to where you are going. Slow and steady wins the race every time.

Yea, I weigh to much, but I don't eat fast food junk and don't use any tobacco and rarely drink. Hunting sheep is as much mental as it is physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Sometimes I think sheep hunters take it to far to the extreme. You don't have to ripped and capable of running marathons. You just need to be in pretty good health and have the desire to get to where you are going. Slow and steady wins the race every time.
    I like your response, I have a few beers or a few glasses of wine with dinner because I like livin life! In fact, I eat whatever sounds good at the time, usually don't have the extra $$ for fast food, suppose that saves me a little bit. I'm only 30 tho...I can only imagine what that 20 yrs is gonna do to me! To all of you that are over 50 and still doin it---->I am envious/proud/glad to see you are doin it, hopefully I'm in the same boat in 20!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

In all seriousness snowwolfe has a very good point good health and desire. I have not hit the 50 club yet but in sheep years I am well past.. guiding sheep takes its toll. everyone is quick to exercise the body but I have seen the most in shape hunters quit sheep hunts(even 17000$ sheep hunts) simply due to their minds getting to them. I am not promoting non exercise as the benefits are amazing but I never exercised prior to sheep season and for many years even smoked while climbing.. I am a firm believer in taking your time maintaing good health( i quit smoking) and also exercising the mind on a sheep hunt as it is the strongest mussle in your body...

I agree with ya Bear...90% of anything is mental determination...the other 10% is how much money you have to spend on high-end gear, which really only adds to the overall comfort of a hunting trip, not necessarily the end result.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Far from geezer status but i too follow the the word of being in some sort if shape for hunting season. Good lower back strength can mean the difference between a good and miserable hunt with all the lifting involved. A twice daily round of hyperextensions goes a long way.

Solid shoulder exercises for an up and coming float hunt helps as well. Presses, rows etc
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I am wasting all my youth working like crazy with the hopes that when I hit my 50's I will be set up so I have the TIME to get out and really hunt. I would rather be a little out of shape with 20 days to hunt than super fit with 3!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am wasting all my youth working like crazy with the hopes that when I hit my 50's I will be set up so I have the TIME to get out and really hunt. I would rather be a little out of shape with 20 days to hunt than super fit with 3!
    Thats kinda what I'm hoping for too, Lujon. I got a couple more yrs of wk, but after that I hope to get a couple hunts in where I'm on the mt a few days ahead of time and already have a sheep picked out. It would be nice to just take ones time. I had to chuckle when I read this comment....."I'm only 30 tho...I can only imagine what that 20 yrs is gonna do to me!"...from above. I'm sure the other 'oldies' also chuckled. Ahhh to be 30 again. Time sure flies. And now in our 50's, it don't seem too old. Now 75...or maybe
    90...thats OLD! It might seem a bit rough but hopefully a guy can still get some quality hunts in at 60+. Like others said, u just gotta pace yourself.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

When I wake up and don't taste dirt I know I'm on the right side of the grass so my program works.Take the dog for a mile walk at the park everyday
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I have not hit the 50 club yet
    Hey... wait.... There's a club???? I must not be able to afford the dues, 'cause I'm not in it....

I find it funny that merely viewing this thread brings in a google ad like this:

A 50+ "what did you do today" string is an excellent idea. While my body is 52, the muscle between my ears still thinks it's 16...when it comes to hunting anyway. January 1st I started training for a mountain hunt...while I wanted a Tok tag, the draw gave me a DC590 Talkeetna Mtn Caribou tag...close enough as this sub-group of Caribou seem to think they are sheep. I alternate training days to allow these tired muscles to heal...Gym days I do the stairmaster & weights, Outside walk days I put on the backpack. I'm up to 142 stories in 39 minutes on Mr. Stairmaster, and 5 miles with 53# on my back for the outside walk. My goal is 200 stories in under an hour, and 5 miles with 70# on my back. I've dropped a few pounds...I will be under 200 by August. This hunt will still kick my butt. I highly recommend you go to the vet and get an Rx for 200mg 2X/day of the anti-inflammary Celebrex...there's no need to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    When I wake up and don't taste dirt I know I'm on the right side of the grass so my program works.Take the dog for a mile walk at the park everyday
    With that said...........woke up this mornin' still breathin' but with such a tweak in my hip that I could hardly walk...!!! Oh well......time for work......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast