Thread: Hunting w/ horses

Default Hunting w/ horses

I was wondering if any of you could help me...If me & a buddy flew into fairbanks and wanted to rent a horse trailer & 5-6 horses for 14 days to drive into Tok and then take horses north into unit 20 or south into unit 12 , what kind of cost would I be looking at?
    Thanks

Hunting for what? Remember, mountain game and grizzly bears require a guide for non-residents. I don't know of any outfit around Fairbanks that will rent what you are looking for, but there may be one or two......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Hawken,

Thanks for the reply
    What we are going to hunt is still up for debate, my buddy wants to hunt black bear & I want to hunt moose.

I find it hard to believe anyone would just hand over their string and gear and say "Have at."

Is there a website for Alaskan residents/non residents to go to that has a list of transports?
    It's the journey, not the destination.

What you are asking for is quite common in Colorado and other states but not Alaska. Most horse people in Alaska that have horses that are worth a hoot for hunting are using them hunting. One other thing to consider Alaska for as big as it is most of it is not sutiable for hunting with horses. If you have any more questions give me a holler.

Wrangell Outfitters1680 Wolverine Lane, Fairbanks, Ak 99709 (907) 479-5343

I do not know if they rent horses. I know he does guiding from horses. If he doesn't rent may he will know someone who does.

Default Good Luck

I hunt up here with my horses and have for over 15 years. Good luck trying to find a place to rent a string. Guides have a hard time finding good stock for them to use. And they would make way more money taking there own. I hope it works out for ya ~

I have small string in Montana. most of Montana is well suited for horse/mule travel, grass, hay, feed, etc. is relatively cheap and abundant. It is relatively easy to justify the expense to have horses.
    In Alaska:
    - How much of the terrain is suitable for horses/mules?
    - How parts of Alaska will horses/mules work the best?
    - How bad are feed costs?
    - What kind of pack saddles do you use? I use Decker and most folks in these parts also use Deckerís.

Thanks!

Bitterroot, where are you from?
    I spent 5 yrs in Hamilton, then moved back here 5 yrs ago.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Bitterroot, where are you from?
    6 miles south of Stevensville and then 6 miles east.

In Alaska:
    - How much of the terrain is suitable for horses/mules?
    - How parts of Alaska will horses/mules work the best?
    - How bad are feed costs?
    - What kind of pack saddles do you use? I use Decker and most folks in these parts also use Deckerís.

Thanks![/quote]

The terrain is suitable for horses depending on what you are hunting and where you are hunting. In higher altitudes your better off because of all the marsh you may encounter in lower altitudes, the cost of feed, well let me just say it costs alot to feed horses here. We have 6 horses and it costs thousands of dollars to feed them through the winter. In the summer it is not so bad because we have pasture that they graze on so we dont have that extra expense for hay. We just have to grain em. In the winter I am sure it is the same as Montana, horses eat twice as much because they need it to keep em warm. We have to get grain flown out and dropped off with a plane when we hunt with our horses. I don't expect anyone in Alaska to "Rent" horses. There are few around and people are pretty particular here. You are better off to call a transporter.

So you must be down off N. Birch or Bailey? Do you know the Strange family (Willoughby Lane) or the Jolley family (Victor Crossing)?
    Man I miss bow hunting elk down there, mostly up Skalkaho way.

Back to your questions, as everyone has said the mountains around our area are great for horses, but the lower elevations run toward swampy ground. A fair # of folks in our area have them, but last I knew hay was running well over double what it was down there, & I imagine supplements are the same.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."