Thread: Raspberry Plot - How to Thin

Default Raspberry Plot - How to Thin

Attached is a picture of our raspberry plot which I would like to thin to increase the quality and quantity of the berries.
    My current idea is to run a clearing 12-18 inches through the middle and clear 4 inches or so from the sides..
    Would this be good, or ???? Looking for ideas - time to git busy..

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
    Attached is a picture of our raspberry plot which I would like to thin to increase the quality and quantity of the berries.
    My current idea is to run a clearing 12-18 inches through the middle and clear 4 inches or so from the sides..

Thank you!!
    I don't know as thinning your raspberry patch would increase quantity and quality.. But I do know if you fed them some compost/steer manure mix it would. Removing last years dead stalks seems to keep mine somewhat in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I don't know as thinning your raspberry patch would increase quantity and quality.. But I do know if you fed them some compost/steer manure mix it would. Removing last years dead stalks seems to keep mine somewhat in check.
    I thought that by thinning them, I would get more berries on the sides of the plants where the sun could reach. Currently, through the center, the berries are mainly near the top. May be we have nothing to do but fertilize (thanks for reminding me) and clean the plot..

Two types of raspberry bushes. One youcut down every year and one every other year. I don't know how totell the difference. I trim mine to one every 6 inches. I have thekind that produce on the second year. Every fall I cut all thebushes that look like birch bark (its the second year). My batch is2 feet wide and 30 feet long and produces 1 gallon every 3 days forabout 3-4 weeks. It took me 3 years to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by danger View Post
    Two types of raspberry bushes. One youcut down every year and one every other year. I don't know how totell the difference. I trim mine to one every 6 inches. I have thekind that produce on the second year. Every fall I cut all thebushes that look like birch bark (its the second year). My batch is2 feet wide and 30 feet long and produces 1 gallon every 3 days forabout 3-4 weeks. It took me 3 years to get it right.
    Thanks - May be we'll just take out the dead stalks for now and when these start growing, we can pull one and head to a nursery for a little guidance..
    It would be great to see these produce a little more.. I have heard about the 2nd year and production..
    Thanks again..

Default Raspberry Patch

Quote Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post

Thank you!!
    Keeping Raspberries contained is just about as important. A good trellis with sturdy end posts is what I recommend and building a raised bed to reduce root spreading. You will still have new shoots coming up - but they are easily kept down when you cut the grass around your beds. My plants produce on 1 year old canes - so prune the canes that produced last season and keep the new canes for this season's crop. http://chateau-listeur.blogspot.com/...teur-name.html

Quote Originally Posted by danger View Post
    Went out and thinned the plants and fertilized.. It was very easy to see exactly what you were referring to..
    Thanks once again..

Quote Originally Posted by WasillaPlanter View Post
    Keeping Raspberries contained is just about as important. A good trellis with sturdy end posts is what I recommend and building a raised bed to reduce root spreading. You will still have new shoots coming up - but they are easily kept down when you cut the grass around your beds. My plants produce on 1 year old canes - so prune the canes that produced last season and keep the new canes for this season's crop. http://chateau-listeur.blogspot.com/...teur-name.html

WasillaPlanter, Thanks, I will have to look into the trellis thought, looks great to. As for containment, we nipped that one several years ago with 2x8 cedar boxes, with only an inch or so of the box above ground - no more spreading roots into the lawn..
    Once again, Thanks and awesome garden there..