Thread: Halibut on PWS

Default Halibut on PWS

Its probably pretty early yet but has anyone tried for halibut on PWS? I jigged a couple places down Unakwik last Wed. just to see if I could hook into anything, but I didn't get a bite.

I never herd of anyone really fishing Unakwik Inlet for Butts before. You had luck in there before?

They are in PWS already...have had some of my best days in early to mid May. I will say it will always be slow inside of Knight Island though. Get out where the current really moves and you`ll have better luck. Ever wonder why Homer has good halibut fishing??? Think about the tides and current there...IMO halibut feed better during the rush. Fishing the slack tide is certainly easier but not necessarily more productive.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Jace couldn't catch a butt if it sat in his lap.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I never herd of anyone really fishing Unakwik Inlet for Butts before. You had luck in there before?
    The only reason I fished down Unakwik is because I work at the hatchery there and don't really have a choice, otherwise I'd go somewhere else for sure.

Henry, shouldn't you be on a new york fishing forum instead of AK? Hows the butt fishing going for you there?

NY is a target rich environment as far as butts are concerned. Catch and release only though. Have Jay show you where that trench is over in nightmare. I think it might be marked on one of the gps units also. Dragging bait through there is probably your best bet.