Thread: Thoughts on a Diesel

Default Thoughts on a Diesel

anyone got any thoughts on a Diesel ATV. I do not know much about them but the concept seems good if you not a speed freak.

What i know and by the way this is only through research not first hand. They have tons of torque, not much speed, get good MPG, and are fairly reliable.

I guess the whole diesel thing scares me a little on maint, and just generally because I know nothing about it. Thoughts on buying one as I am looking at one right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    ...a Diesel ATV. ....the concept seems good...
    In what way?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Couple thoughts,

Pros: Great if you already have other diesel's in your fleet and you want something unique and fuel efficient.

Cons: Harder to start in cold weather and the machine population is very low, so the cost of parts and service will be higher than the gas engine model. The dealers don't see many of them so even the most common parts will always be "special order", "back ordered" or not available for 6 months. Especially Yanmar parts (Polaris). The dealers don't tend to train or tool-up their service departments to support the diesel products. I have some Yanmar parts I'm waiting for that have been on backorder for almost 6-months. One more thing, if you are after a machine you plan on keeping for a long time, parts for small displacement, limited production, asian diesel engines are notoriously hard to source after they go out of production.

Had a bunch of them on a job I worked in 2010. I really like them. Better mileage, and I think you'll double the lifetime miles of the machine. They were not too loud either. My next one will be the diesel polaris crew. Of course, they are heavier then the others, but not enough to scare me from them.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Happy with mine,, 60hp Turbo Diesel...

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

They are fine and dandy until you sink one. At least I can pull a spark plug on my 4 stroke and get it cleaned out and running. Not referring you your floating unit, stid, but other ATV's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They are fine and dandy until you sink one. At least I can pull a spark plug on my 4 stroke and get it cleaned out and running. Not referring you your floating unit, stid, but other ATV's.

Swamped diesels are really not that different. A guy swamped his diesel Ox and it was in salt water for 3 hours drained flushed, pulled the injectors and she is back in the game.
    Founding Member

Stid2677: If I understand correctly ... you currently own the muddox and had owned an Argo previously. Are you seeing much of a difference in fuel consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Stid2677: If I understand correctly ... you currently own the muddox and had owned an Argo previously. Are you seeing much of a difference in fuel consumption?
    Have the Diesel Mudd OX, never owned an Argo. My turbo diesel burns about 2 gallon an hour under a heavy load.
    Founding Member

Those are some nice machines!!!!! i totally understand a diesel in these type of machines. BUT anybody got a 4 wheeler type ATV that is diesel? You do not see them much. Arctic Cat has one on their TRV frame. Just wondering about those. I assume the motor is smaller than that of an Argo or Mudd OX. thoughts or better yet experiences. Thinking about getting one the more research that I do but it is hard to find actual experience as the gas machines just naturally outnumber them.

My actual experience on an Arctic Cat diesel is only a couple miles on a demo machine and witnessing how much work it takes to get one running again after too deep of a water crossing.

Can they pull more? Probably. However, the limitations on pulling weight for an ATV is simply the amount of traction you can put to the ground. The diesel weighs a bit more so that simple fact will allow it to pull more.

While I'm not a speed freak either, the diesel is so mundane to ride that it's not even enjoyable. When it comes to mud you really can't even get the wheels to spin. As any experienced rider will tell you, you can't just tractor through every mudhole, there are times you need wheel spin. The longevity of the engine isn't really an issue either. The four strokes are more than capable of going tens of thousands of miles. Most riders will never wear out a 4 stroke even half way.The diesels are heavy too.

I personally wouldn't buy one. This is coming from a guy that owns over a dozen different diesels from my personal truck all the way up to big semis. I cannot pinpoint one single advantage of a diesel other than fuel mileage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem