Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing in August- where should I go

Default Fly fishing in August- where should I go

A friend and I will be flying into Anchorage in early August. We plan on getting an RV and heading up the parks highway then down to Soldotna to hit the Kenai/Russin river. Any thoughts on best places to check out?

Get the book Roadside Angler. It's in any store and fishing department. There is no going wrong with the book.

Thanks. I've got good info from that book so far from what excerpts I could find on the net. I live in Colorado so finding that in a store is tough. If I have a week, would you spend more time north o Anchorage or south on the Kenai if you were fly fishing?

I'd say you could go either way and have a good time. Better chance of bigger fish south I think.Some very nice fish that haven't been hooked a hundred times more to the north. Also are you walk in fishing or floating Some good raft rentals you might want to do then I'd say the Kenai. Alaska is big and if you only have a week you would be smart to pick one and not try both in such a short time. For both I think 3 weeks about right.

Agreed^^^^

Given one week, consider going in one direction.

If renting a raft and floating the Upper Kenai, get a raft or drift boat from Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground. Great guy and he will hook you up. He is conveniently located as well and has top shelf gear. If you go this route, keep in mind nearly no rental trucks and such have a hitch on the back for pulling a trailer. The exception is renting a truck from ABC RV rentals in Anchorage.

The Kenai has much to offer and you could spend several weeks exploring it and only skim the surface. There are numerous walk in and hike in trips, lakes, etc.. on the Kenai as well. Lots of campgrounds. The RV has it's place, but I would personally rent a truck from Enterprise at the airport and tent camp my way around. Much cheaper and you are not going to Alaska to use a miniature coffee pot, right? You are going to fish.

Immerse yourself in it, hike 2-3 miles to some remote lakes and get into some grayling. Drink a few cold ones, then head back to the truck. Or reserve one of the many USFS cabins that are on many of these lakes. Have Scenic Mountain Air fly you to one of the lakes and stay in the cabin that night. Cook some steaks on the fire. Take a guided drift boat float on the Upper Kenai for rainbows and dollies with Troutfitter's of Cooper Landing (fly shop and guide service). Take a half day halibut trip out of Seward with Puffin Charters, then ship your fish home. Make the lovely drive down to Homer one day. The money you were spending on an RV could be used to take you to places you have only dreamed of.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/

http://scenicmountainair.com/fly-in-fishing/

http://aktroutfitters.com/

http://www.puffincharters.com/

Buy this book here on the forum store or on Amazon. It tells you where to fish. Has like 100+ maps with very specific directions. Especially valuable if you are on the road system and are very mobile as you seem to have planned.

A few images I got on the Kenai...

-Dan

Sounds great but the buddy I am coming up with gets sick on a boat so any type of float out not an option this time. The plan with the RV is to hop from campground to campground as a base and fish from there each day or even multiple days at the same site. Are there some good campsites that are better than others? Don't care about hook ups for electricity and such, even thinking about just parking off the side of the road if possible.

I would rather catch more fish than bigger fish at this point. For this trip, 30 5-10lb chums, pinks and reds would be better than 1 30lb king. Any thoughts on best spot to get into numbers rather than size?

I think if it were me, I would probably focus on Kenai river silvers. They are such incredible fish. AND I would tell your buddy to take a pill or drink a drink so he can handle a float, because if you want to do something that may spoil you for any other type of fishing, it would be a guided trip on the upper Kenai for rainbows. You won't have to be in the boat the whole time, you can fish from shore. It's pretty darn special that's for sure....

People typically don't get sea sick floating rivers. I guided whitewater for years and never had anyone get sick in my boat nor did i hear of it happening. I had a lot of people worry about it who said they get really seasick in boats on the ocean or big lakes, but it never happened on the river.

If you fish north of anc or on the kenai, you should have success and the time of your life.

I'll see if I can get him to man up but he has been pretty adamant about that in the past. Every summer we fly or drive to a different state or states to fly fish. We hit different ones each summer and Alaska is #25. how is the Kenai down by Soldotna for access by foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    I would rather catch more fish than bigger fish at this point. For this trip, 30 5-10lb chums, pinks and reds would be better than 1 30lb king. Any thoughts on best spot to get into numbers rather than size?
    Should be great fishing if you want to catch a bunch of fish on the parks streams. I would explore all of them. The book that Dan listed is a great resource. It will be able to answer many of the questions I'm sure you have about tackle and locations.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I'd skip the Kenai. I dunno what your fishing background is but I was really disappointed in it. I come from BC so I'm not used to fishing in a crowd and I hate bobber fishing. In general, the Kenai itself had poor fishing, too many people, too much water and it was all a bead/bobber fishery. I went down the KP for the first time last year, early september. Had fantastic coho fishing on the anchor and got to see a steelie. But again, too many people for so little space. I'd go up the parks highway. That was my other option and while I had fun on the KP (everyone should fish the Kenai at least once just to say they did) I should have gone up the parks hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    I'd skip the Kenai. I dunno what your fishing background is but I was really disappointed in it. I come from BC so I'm not used to fishing in a crowd and I hate bobber fishing. In general, the Kenai itself had poor fishing, too many people, too much water and it was all a bead/bobber fishery. I went down the KP for the first time last year, early september. Had fantastic coho fishing on the anchor and got to see a steelie. But again, too many people for so little space. I'd go up the parks highway. That was my other option and while I had fun on the KP (everyone should fish the Kenai at least once just to say they did) I should have gone up the parks hwy.
    If you don't have a boat or are unwilling to hike, you will find crowds on the Kenai. If you are a poor angler, you will not catch fish. If there is too much water, blame the weather or your inadequate fishing gear. If you fish the Kenai just to say you did, you are cool.

So, I'm poor, fat, lazy, stupid and have crappy equipment? Yeah. That's sure the case. Listen dude I'm from BC. A boat floating by every 3 to 5 minutes is not exactly a quality fishing experience to me, no matter how many fish I catch. The Kenai has history. But it's certainly not like it was. Just to stand in it and know that everyone who's anyone in the fishing world has stood in that water is a great experience. But it's not a quality fishery in my eyes.

If you have to know, and I know you do, I fished both the crazy stupid upper section and hiked into some of the middle river. Mostly swung flies on my z7110 and yeah, the river was apparently blown out while I was there.

I'm happy to know you won't be coming back to the poor quality fishing of the Kenai River.

Never said that did I?

Just like I never said you were poor, fat, lazy, stupid and have crappy equipment. Lets be friends .

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Should be great fishing if you want to catch a bunch of fish on the parks streams. I would explore all of them. The book that Dan listed is a great resource. It will be able to answer many of the questions I'm sure you have about tackle and locations.

Fish On!

I know my friend is interested in fishing the Kenai/Russian River just to say he did. That being said north sounds like the way to go. How high upstream would you need to hike in order to get away from the crowds even a little bit? I fished Sheep Creek about 10 years ago and had a blast at the mouth but that was will spin gear. Of the parks highway creeks, which provide the most diversity of fish? Anyone fish Byers Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    I know my friend is interested in fishing the Kenai/Russian River just to say he did. That being said north sounds like the way to go. How high upstream would you need to hike in order to get away from the crowds even a little bit? I fished Sheep Creek about 10 years ago and had a blast at the mouth but that was will spin gear. Of the parks highway creeks, which provide the most diversity of fish? Anyone fish Byers Creek?
    I'd say you won't find complete solitude in any one of those creeks, but the farther you walk the less crowded it will be. I would urge you to read the regs as most of the streams have restrictions on what you can fish with. That being said all of them have a good diversity of fish, but then not all of them are the same in stream flow, clarity, etc. Not a lot of people fish Goose Creek (I hate it BTW). You will still be able to find some good spots in August, and there is definitely not as many people fishing the streams in August. There are trails along each one, how far you want to walk is up to you. We make a yearly weekend trip up to the parks to fish all the streams, mainly just to fight the chums. They are definitely an underapreciated fish species.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Hum! Hate Goose creek you say!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast