Thread: planting bulbs in spring?

Default planting bulbs in spring?

I did a search but couldn't find any info on this. My apologies if there's already a thread going...I always thought that bulbs had to be planted in the fall so they could develop a root system before spring, but I just found some dutch iris bulbs at home depot and the package says they can be planted in spring to bloom in the summer. Has anyone had any luck planting bulbs in the spring? If it works I might have to go bulb crazy. I'm on the Kenai...Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Plant away the bulbs should do great. If it is in a area that the ground is not frozen go for it now. Good Luck

I also got those bulbs this weekend, in addition to lilies and hosta's (and went a little crazy ). After some research, most people are saying that I need to wait until the last frost to plant them. Is this true or will they grow if I plant them now. I live in Wasilla and our nights are typically 30 degrees and days are 50-60 degrees.

If you stop and think about the fact if these bulbs would have been planted last fall they would be in the ground at this time poking their little noses out . Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskagrl5 View Post
    I also got those bulbs this weekend, in addition to lilies and hosta's (and went a little crazy ). After some research, most people are saying that I need to wait until the last frost to plant them. Is this true or will they grow if I plant them now. I live in Wasilla and our nights are typically 30 degrees and days are 50-60 degrees.

You can put them in the ground now, the lillies and especially the hosta's will be not be pushing through the ground yet, both will just be coming out of dormancy if you had them in the ground already. They won't start with current growth until the soil temps approach 50 degree's. If they have already sprouted plant them up to the stem and cover them in the evening with row cloth or a section of bed sheet or T shirt. Lacking cloth a mound of lawn thatch or dry leaves will keep the frost off and help keep them from getting burnt from the sun.

Good luck with the hosta's I can only get them to multiply against a heated block wall, planted out away from protection they just don't flourish from year to year. With so many different cultivars of hosta we are bound to find one that will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Plant away the bulbs should do great. If it is in a area that the ground is not frozen go for it now. Good Luck

Just what I was hoping to hear..thanks!