Thread: Can Am Outlander 500

Sandpoint, ID

Default Can Am Outlander 500

Anyone have one? Looking for fuel consumption, general power to pull a trailer with 500 lbs in it and how do you like it in general? Is the 400 that much less powerful that it wouldn't work where the 500 would?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Delta Junction AK

I bought a Can Am Max XT 400 last year. I rode a 400, 500, and an 800. The 400 has 35hp and is more power than I can put to the ground unless trail conditions are awfully good. The fuel economy is actually pretty good- not as good as my Ranchers were- but the CVT tranny runs the engine at higher RPM than I normally ran the Ranchers with solid tranny. A friend runs the 800 and its a total fuel pig- easily burning twice the fuel or more than mine on a trip.

As a caveat- I'm using the machine for hunting transportation- I rarely go very fast and I'm not trying to stick it into every mudhole to throw a rooster tail of muck...for that use an 800 may hold a big advantage.

The 400 has a good useful low range and I've pulled trailers full of wood (well over 500lbs) around my property easily. I've hunted with it 2-up with the wife and noticed no lack of useful power. My advice would be the additional 100cc get you nothing but a heavier/more complex engine in a more expensive machine that burns more gas and gives very litle in return.

I would recommend the "XT" package with a factory winch, better tires and wheels and few other bells and was well worth the additional cost when I comparison shopped around.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm not sure how it is with the newer models, but with the older ones, the 400 had a different frame and suspension from the larger versions (500/700/800). This can come into play if you want to accessorize it with aftermarket stuff.

FWIW, I run a max (2-up) 400, 2005 vintage, and have not felt that it is underpowered.