Thread: Looking for Kenai Peninsula Lakes Ice Report

Default Looking for Kenai Peninsula Lakes Ice Report

Kenai Lake?
    Skilak Lake?
    Tustamena Lake?

anybody have ice reports?

Kenai and Skilak still froze but real close. Watson lake is open and another small lake close to it is open, which is early.

Barring rain (which would make it even sooner) or a week of cold temps, most lakes will probably be ice-off by next weekend.
    The fish will be hungry!

Went up to Tusty last night. Still lots of ice and not all rotten. I took the paddle and could chip off about 3-4" from the edge, but not in any further. We were thinking a guy still could stand on it.....though we didn't try.....lol. It was however a BIG difference from a week ago. Where it looked like it would be another month before it was gone. With this wind now and decent weather it "may" be off by next WE, but I still have my doubts. High winds tho will make a huge difference.

So much for global warming, i have never been to Watson. Do they have a boat launch? My boat will float somewhere this week even if I have to take it to homer! :-p

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Went up to Tusty last night. Still lots of ice and not all rotten. I took the paddle and could chip off about 3-4" from the edge, but not in any further. We were thinking a guy still could stand on it.....though we didn't try.....lol. It was however a BIG difference from a week ago. Where it looked like it would be another month before it was gone. With this wind now and decent weather it "may" be off by next WE, but I still have my doubts. High winds tho will make a huge difference.
    I went up the Kasilof this morning to give the boat a preseason check ride and Tustumena Lake is still iced up except for some open water at the outlet. I climbed the hill there just to the north of the river outlet and took a photo. It still looks white past the island so I'm thinking about another week until its a go.

001.jpg

Kelly-Peterson are both open as of this morning, and, yes, Watson Lake has a boat launch.

Good luck . .

took the boat out in skilak this afternoon! wide open, boat launch is a tad low! it will however be closed from may 29th - june 9th for renovation just for anyones future reference!

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    I went up the Kasilof this morning to give the boat a preseason check ride and Tustumena Lake is still iced up except for some open water at the outlet. I climbed the hill there just to the north of the river outlet and took a photo. It still looks white past the island so I'm thinking about another week until its a go.

001.jpg
    Ha.....just missed you Jim. I've been up there the last two nights looking for a brownie. With this cold we're having It may be 2 weeks before you get over to the cabin.....hope not.

Yeah me too I'm taking a vacation starting the 16th of May so I'm hoping its a go by then. I did see one set of bear tracks on the beach about a quarter mile from the river in the sand. But I bet there are a few more brownies on the beach up in the NE corner at the far end. Good luck, its still early.

Yeah me too I'm taking a vacation starting the 16th of May so I'm hoping its a go by then. I did see one set of bear tracks on the beach about a quarter mile from the river in the sand. But I bet there are a few more brownies on the beach up in the NE corner at the far end. Good luck, its still early.
    I saw your tracks on the beach from when you were up there awhile back, as well as some bear tracks then. Friday night we went in and saw some fresh bear tracks. You probably saw our tracks, and my dogs' this morn. Yes, about the no/e corner, I even put in for that permit. But my buddy's permit only goes down the beach maybe a mile or so and then heads south along the refuge border. So that beach area and along the so side of the Kasilof is as close to Tusty he can get.

4merguide, you still going up to Tustumena ? What does it look like ? I am away at work now and for a few more days and haven't seen the ice conditions for the last 6 days. I'm thinking it may be getting close to opening up. I would love to see open water on the 17th when I head up there.

campfire.JPG

4merguide, you still going up to Tustumena ? What does it look like ? I am away at work now and for a few more days and haven't seen the ice conditions for the last 6 days. I'm thinking it may be getting close to opening up. I would love to see open water on the 17th when I head up there.

campfire.JPG
    I will probably be going up again tonight or tomorrow. But judging from the way it's been, and the ice being completely out on Johnson, I'd be willing to bet it's open now. The wind has been blowing pretty hard for a few days, and we got a little rain. I'll let you know...

Lake is open Jim....

Tried to go around the island this afternoon. Wind came out of the east so I knew that once I got around the island it would be kickin'. So we turned back. It seems that with all the snow still up high, that wind from the glacier is really cooling the air down below. We tried to fish below the launch and froze our butts off again. Wind still has a hell of a bite to it.....

Tried to go around the island this afternoon. Wind came out of the east so I knew that once I got around the island it would be kickin'. So we turned back. It seems that with all the snow still up high, that wind from the glacier is really cooling the air down below. We tried to fish below the launch and froze our butts off again. Wind still has a hell of a bite to it.....
    I went up river from the launch to get firewood yesterday. Boy is that river low! My prop found a bar where I never knew one existed. I saw some folks come down river via the bank with a stringer of fish... looked like dollies.

What time were you there? Did you see me, my son, and yellow lab in an 18' Valco bayrunner? There were 4 people or so that made a fire up close to the mouth. I saw some poles out. May have been them that caught the fish. Also saw 2 drift boats paddling upriver. Don't know if they were fishing or not.

Thanks the report 4merguide. Yep it will be cold out there I usually look more like a snowmachiner than a boater shivering across that lake in mid-May ! Weather looks pretty good for thursday if the forecast holds, sunshine and light winds. It sounds like you were probably the first one on the lake this spring so congratulations !
    tustumenamoose.jpg

What time were you there? Did you see me, my son, and yellow lab in an 18' Valco bayrunner? There were 4 people or so that made a fire up close to the mouth. I saw some poles out. May have been them that caught the fish. Also saw 2 drift boats paddling upriver. Don't know if they were fishing or not.
    I was there 4ish-6ish. Lots of people camping (and squatting). Saw a jon boat with a jet, but no other boats.