Thread: dry flies in August

Default dry flies in August

Thanks to all the help on here I have my salmon fly box pretty full and learned about the bead selections , now I'm thinking I should have at least a few dry fly patterns with me on the trip just in case .It will be the third week in August after the sockeye and king seasons close and we will be starting on the willow and headed down to the russian / kenai area . I was up 3 years ago and didn't see any hatches but I guess its possible , what drys should I have with me .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Plenty of EHCs is varying colors and sizes, parachute adams, griffiths gnats, stoneflies, BWOs, most of your standard dries will be fine although this time of year the trout will be keyed in on eggs so beads or glo bugs will be your best bet.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks , sounds like its a long shot , I won't worry about to much then . I need to work on my the bead fishing .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Last year I was seeing hatches well into Oct and some kind of dry fly in white color was working well. Pretty much for the room they take in ones box you should always have a few drys handy just in case . When a hatch is happening that's what they want.