Thread: Barnes LRX ?

Question Barnes LRX ?

Anybody loading the Barnes LRX bullets?the 338 265gr in particular. Looking for range reports and appx optimal velocity for hunting.

I'm currently loading a 250gr AB @ 2920fps and figure I can get at least 2800 out of the 265gr LRX in my 338 EDGE.

I've worked up a load using the Barnes M/LE TAC-X in 285gr for my 338 Lapua. This load is actually my most accurate load inside of 800 yards. I haven't taken game with it yet but that is the intent of that load. The TSX .035 off the lands over Retumbo in a Lapua case fired by a CCI-250 does the trick. I'm away from my notes, the velocity is escaping me at the moment but your edge will be right in the neighborhood.

I load 300gr Berger Hybrids for long range target work, (beyond 1000 yards) as they are a better choice for those contests. The same powder, case and primer as mentioned above nets 2777fps.

You should easily get 2800 out of the 265s. I just put some 300gr bergers through the chrony and got 2834 with and ES of 12 for a 10 shot string using 94.6 gr of Retumbo and CCI-250s (compressed load and very close to max pressure according to Quick Load). What length of barrel do you have?
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Just got home and dug up my notes. The 285gr Barnes is running 2805fps out of my 27" 338 Lapua. This is not a max load but it's near it and very accurate.

Your Edge is arguably equal in velocity and with a longer barrel even faster. You shouldn't have any problems getting 2800+ fps with the lighter 265gr Barnes.