Thread: Kuiu and Kupreanof island black bear hunting

Default Kuiu and Kupreanof island black bear hunting

Planning a black bear hunt on Kuiu and Kupreanof islands on May 11th. Really excited about the trip!! I had read that snow was heavier this tear. Would this be too early for a coastal black bear hunt. Will be spotting off a boat along the coast. Any bear sightings / hunts yet?

Thanks!

Bears are comming out just fine. The green up is starting at the salt water. You'll be just fine. I'm also heading over there on the 11th. Look for a Blue 41' boat called the Catdaddy. Chances are you won't see us since we'll be on West Kuiu. Good luck and hold out for a beauty.

The snow never really accumulated much along the coast in this part of SE. Go up a few hundred feet in elevation and begins piling up quick. I know Haines had a ton of snow and we had very little down here. However, up in the mountains where we snowmobile there was more than I'ver seen the last 5 years or so.

I am headed down to point baker the first week of June do think this would be to late

Thanks guys! Good to hear.
    Will look out for you big horse. We are actually getting there on the 12th. Will you be in Petersburg at all? would be great to have a beer.

9, all brownie, big groups of sow with cubs. Size, there is just something to the shape and additude of a big male bear. Watch videos, spend time out there, search this forum for more details. I'm no expert.
    I won't be anywhere near Petersburg, sorry. If you happen to see us motor on over and say hi. You cant miss a bright blue catamaran.

Will definitely look out for you bighorse. I hope you have a great trip...I am so looking forward to mine. Envy you living in Alaska!

another question on the ammo...I am planning to use a 30-06. Use Barnes tipped TSX. Have it in 150 and 168 grains...which one (or another) would you recommend?
    Also my friend was thinking of getting a 308- is that enough with a 150 grain?

It's great. Go get em!

Quote Originally Posted by diver View Post
    another question on the ammo...I am planning to use a 30-06. Use Barnes tipped TSX. Have it in 150 and 168 grains...which one (or another) would you recommend?
    Also my friend was thinking of getting a 308- is that enough with a 150 grain?
    I would use the heavier bullet on bears.

Thanks guys!