Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trolling/fishing w/out a down rigger.

Default trolling/fishing w/out a down rigger.

I am planning on saltwater fishing more this year but I do not own a down rigger. What type of setup should I use to compensate for this? I would like to catch some halibut and salmon. Its a smaller boat so Im limited by weather and I dont plan on getting crazy out there. Just need a little help with salt water setups.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

.get some deep six or dipsy divers. Troll flashers with what ever kind of setup you like behind them. Herring,hootchies,spoons etc
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

You can always tape a couple three pound leads together and use your halibut rod as your down rigger, put a clip on and send down your rig on your salmon rod!!! Hillbilly all the way!!!! caught a lot of salmon that way in the day!! what ever work's

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    You can always tape a couple three pound leads together and use your halibut rod as your down rigger, put a clip on and send down your rig on your salmon rod!!! Hillbilly all the way!!!! caught a lot of salmon that way in the day!! what ever work's
    Lol, that is a pretty good idea
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

Ya, the old man never had much in the skiff when we were kids. we got creative... some stuff we came up with worked better then others..

Either troll with a banana weight or deep six diver with a regular setup - a herring or spoon - or simply troll a kwikfish or similar diving plug. I know that kwikfish are designed for freshwater fishing, but I've done well with them trolling in the salt with no weight or downrigger.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    .get some deep six or dipsy divers. Troll flashers with what ever kind of setup you like behind them. Herring,hootchies,spoons etc
    Try to limit your flashers behined a Deep Six to the smaller 8" version or something in-line like a fish flash. The bigger 11" flashers will cause problems with the release on a Deep Six. The smaller flasher works just fine.

I use the biggest deep six I can find, 8" flasher and a green or blue variation hoochie. Put a strip of herring on one or both hooks. Try to run a super braid of some kind to reduce your main line drag, that will help get the deep six down. I typically will run two setups like that out the side and a 6 oz. bannana weight with a cut plug or helmet herring (no flasher) out the back. When you get a fish on one rod, don't real the others in, just let them drift down, we catch lots of fish on those rigs as they dead drift.

+2 on the dipsy divers. they work great and you can set them to run further away from the boat.

We're set on using Luhr Jensen sinker releases, but we cast our own weights using free lead. Nothing tops them in our experience because on hookup they leave you with no weight, dipsy diver, pink lady or deep six on your line while fighting the fish. You can fish large flashers easily using the large size. We've used them with weights ranging from 4 oz to 24 oz without hassle. Only way to fly. I have downriggers, but almost never use them these days because we like these so much better. It's sure easier to troll four rods when you're not stacking. We just use weights about 4 oz heavier on the center rods than on the outside rods, then let the outside lines fall back a little further so they go to the same depth.

I'm a huge fan of Dipsy Divers. If you run braid the charts Luhr Jensen puts out are way off. I have charts that we built 10lb dia braid that are good. No problem getting to 100ft with a dipsy on a 0 setting and braid. Also, teh big flashers don't roll them over anywhere near as much as the deep sixes unless you crank them over to a 3 or 4 setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    I gotta say, that is one of the more creative ideas I've heard in a long time. Truly old time Alaskan in the realm of "necessity is the mother of invention". Rep to you.
    As Brian said, diving plugs or banana sinkers work pretty well. Plus, with banana sinkers you can mooch too if you decide to drift.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We're set on using Luhr Jensen sinker releases, but we cast our own weights using free lead. Nothing tops them in our experience because on hookup they leave you with no weight, dipsy diver, pink lady or deep six on your line while fighting the fish. You can fish large flashers easily using the large size. We've used them with weights ranging from 4 oz to 24 oz without hassle. Only way to fly. I have downriggers, but almost never use them these days because we like these so much better. It's sure easier to troll four rods when you're not stacking. We just use weights about 4 oz heavier on the center rods than on the outside rods, then let the outside lines fall back a little further so they go to the same depth.
    What happens to the lead??? Does it just fall off and is sacrificial???
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

that's a lot of lead to leave behind..

To the OP.. Mooch or motor mooch.

Most of the Salmon Charter fleet in Calif use the sinker releases, I like them better than the deep sixs or dips divers but prefer the down riggers.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    that's a lot of lead to leave behind..

To the OP.. Mooch or motor mooch.
    Yup. But in truth about 10% of what we leave behind in rocks when using jigs. Lotta folks out there would love to see nontox regs for saltwater fishing just like in freshwater in many areas. Pick out one source of lead loss and take a shot at it, and they'll be happy to spread it to all lead loss.

Some awesome information here. Ive got some tackle to buy.

What test braid do you normally run on your halibut rod or is it better to use mono on those?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You can buy a couple used, cheap hand crankers, cannon balls and releases for less than $100 if you shop around. They mount on your gunn'ls. If you make it down to Soldotna I'll sell you two for cheap because I don't troll anymore. http://www.bottompaintstore.com/cann...r-p-20196.html

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I gotta say, that is one of the more creative ideas I've heard in a long time. Truly old time Alaskan in the realm of "necessity is the mother of invention". Rep to you.
    As Brian said, diving plugs or banana sinkers work pretty well. Plus, with banana sinkers you can mooch too if you decide to drift.
    So if you don't troll anymore I take it then you just mooch now...???

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I am planning on saltwater fishing more this year but I do not own a down rigger.
    I'm just curious why you don't want to just buy a downrigger. It is a great investment that should last you for years. If you use sacrificial weights you're probably going to spend as much on them over a few years as a downrigger will cost you. And the various planers you can buy are not cheap either. And when you break one off you can kiss that $15 planer goodbye.

But if you just don't want to use a downrigger I personally would use banana sinkers of various weights. I absolutely hate fighting a fish with one of those Deep Six things attached to my line. It's bad enough when you have a big flasher back there, but throw a Deep Six into the equation and when a salmon runs laterally to you it creates a whole lot of drag on your set-up.

The Cannon Mini-trolls are OK, but because you just clamp them on instead of having a downrigger in a mounted base they are very prone to breaking off your boat if your cannonball gets hung up which does happen.

The big advantage to having a downrigger is you know your bait/lure is at a particular depth. With the various planers and even with banana sinkers it's hard to judge exactly how deep you're trolling.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

My first downrigger was 100ft of dacron 150lb a broken halibut rod I cut off at 3ft put a small pully on the end and a 10lb lead ball. had a small cleat to tie off the line at the depth I wanted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast