Thread: 45 ACP 200 gr SWC Bullseye loads

Default 45 ACP 200 gr SWC Bullseye loads

Any advice or experience loading these bullets with Bullseye powder? My first batch I will be loading to 4.2 gr Bullseye with an OAL of 1.245

I am just wanting to punch some paper with my 5'' Kimber 1911.

New to reloading, my father in law has got me set up and started but he doesn't have a 45 much less a 1911.

Thanks guys, schmidty

That load should do you just fine as a paper poker. I do 230g cast mostly with ether 4.5g or 5g Bulseye, thatís about the only 45acp loads I use any more.

Now as you note you are new a word of warning here. Bulseye must be watched closely in reloading because a double charge will fit nicely into a 45 case. Letting one of those double charges slip through will destroy your gun and maybe you so be very diligent about not double charging and check closely before bullet seating.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

This is about what I use. Only caution with Bullseye is a double charge. Create a pattern/habit in reloading that keeps everything moving smoothly and keeps you safe (no double charges of bullseye). It is a very fun and satisfying hobby and it sure keeps the cost of ammo down. Best wishes. J.

That charge is good but ditto on the double charge precaution. I once shot my wad-cutter gun three times with 8.5 grains of Bullseye and 200 SWC loads (long story) it did stay together and with some repairs (me and the gun) we remained in service.
    Load with a block and visually check every case with good light after they are charged.

Crimp is a big deal. Seat the bullets to leave some of the front driving band sticking out (about half in half out of the case) and use seperate step for taper crimp and crimp just enough to remove flare and drop cartridge freely into your barrel. Make sure your seating die keeps the bullet straight. It's easy to tip those stubby little bullets. You'll need to clean the lead out of mouth of the chamber often.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

If you are shooting 50' NRA indoor I like 3.5gr Bullseye or the same of Win 231 with a little lighter recoil spring. Yeah, the crimp is also very important as pressures can get ugly if a bullet is pushed back in the case when it slams into the feed ramp. Follow Murphy's suggestion carefully on crimp.

In my ruger P90 I've been loading 4.5 gr bullseye under a 200 gr swc I cast from a lee mold. Definately a heads up on seating depth and crimp. The majority of handgun reloading experience has been for revolvers, so I was a bit shagrined the first time I went to the range and my handloads wouldn't chamber Once I figured that one out I had a load that groups very well and moderate recoil. The only problem is I have two teenage boys that can unload the rounds much, much faster than I can reload them. On the upside they do a pretty decent job of chasing empties.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks guys for the input. I am very aware of the risk of double charge and am adamant in my detail to avoid that. I have actually been charging and then seating a bullet directly afterwards as to avoid that risk. I have a separate Lee factory crimp die for the crimping. I am shooting a stock Kimber Custom II, so I'm not sure what the recoil spring poundage is, but that is what I want this load to work with. Do lighter loads and a lighter spring make it really FEEL lighter? I don't mind my Kimber at all now, but I guess if I was shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds it might make a difference. I'm not there yet, just fun plinking for me.

Using a lighter load (3.5gr) with a lighter recoil spring definately lightens up recoil. The 4.2gr load should easily work with the stock spring. The 3.5gr load might work with a stock spring or it may not. You can drop your powder charge a couple tenths at a time and find out where your stock spring quits working but I wouldn't go below about 3gr if it should go that far. The next step in this addiction er hobby is casting your own.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Using a lighter load (3.5gr) with a lighter recoil spring definately lightens up recoil. The 4.2gr load should easily work with the stock spring. The 3.5gr load might work with a stock spring or it may not. You can drop your powder charge a couple tenths at a time and find out where your stock spring quits working but I wouldn't go below about 3gr if it should go that far. The next step in this addiction er hobby is casting your own.
    We worked up this exact load 3.5 for my sons 45 ACP and it is the most accurate load we have to-date. He had to drop to a lower spring rate.. Not sure what it was but I think it was a 12? The stock spring was marginal at best.. meaning, it worked but the cases landed on his shoes..