Thread: Downrigger Speed Sensors

Default Downrigger Speed Sensors

Anybody use a down-rigger (IntelliTroll) speed sensor for saltwater trolling? Depth Raider?
    Sub-Troll 900?

The last time I went trolling on somebody else's boat, we were fishing in heavy current off a point and even with large cannon balls we were running into trouble. It's amazing how far out the ball will swing in a heavy current considering the weight. The current on the surface of course was mild and the guy I was with was driving based on the surface currents while our bait was likely doing mach 9 down yonder as evidenced by the wire swung clear out. He wondered why we weren't having any luck. I did not wonder at all. Actually the only success we had was while turning around for obvious reasons (the bait finally slowed enough for the fish to do something about it).

I didn't know if there were "speed at depth" sensors for down-riggers then, but went home straightaway and looked them up. They're pricey, but I would wager worth the money.

Anyone on here use them and if so how has it changed your fishing, if at all?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

fluff.

angle of your wire will tell you all.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    fluff.

angle of your wire will tell you all.

Agreed... Just watch your wire angle.

And try trolling with the current, rather than against it when it's really ripping. Be faster speed over the ground, but keeps your bait/lure from flying through at mach 9

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    And try trolling with the current, rather than against it when it's really ripping. Be faster speed over the ground, but keeps your bait/lure from flying through at mach 9
    Total agreement with that statement. Troll with the current and you won't have the swing back problem. If you are trying to fish a particular area just troll through it, pull your downriggers and blast back to where you started and just keep doing that.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default zig zag

Zig zag, circle, the sensors would be nice, havent tried on yet.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I switched from wire to braid , doesnt have near the drag of wire (and no wine at all ) but there are some drawbacks with elec. riggers
    my cannons are now manual stop !!

Quote Originally Posted by nor cal steelie View Post
    I switched from wire to braid , doesnt have near the drag of wire (and no wine at all ) but there are some drawbacks with elec. riggers
    my cannons are now manual stop !!
    The whine, angle of the cable and watching the bubble trail run down it is how I guage my trolling speed.
    I would lost without that ability.