Thread: wild sheep foundation

Default wild sheep foundation

I am a national Member but have never participated locally. I was on the Alaska web page and it looks like everything is from 2008 is there a local group here?

Thanks

There was. People have tried to rekindle it but to my knowledge to no avail. There were some financial problems and personal problems in the past that led to the current state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    I am a national Member but have never participated locally. I was on the Alaska web page and it looks like everything is from 2008 is there a local group here?

Thanks
    AkTroutBum

Thanks for your interest in the Wild Sheep Foundation chapter. As of now, the org is run by a very questionable individual, with a checkered past, and is a convicted felon (I am not against all people convicted of a felony, I know people can change their lives and turn them around, but this particular crime he was convicted of, I feel is absolutely disgusting, I am not going to go into it, but it is information that is easy to look up on line, and I have, I would not be discrediting anybody on rumors). As far as I am concerned and many other interested parties in a WSF chapter in Alaska, we need new leadership, and definitely a different direction then what is going on in this states chapter. Like you said, the web site is not even updated since 2008, and the "chapter president" went against most of the AK chapter members who were very vocal (he sided with the national WSF organization opinions) on many of this past years BOG sheep proposals concerning limiting non-resident opportunities.

I am a current life member of the national organization myself, and have written to Gray Thornton (the current president of the national chapter) and voiced my concerns, and basically said our AK chapter should be a state chapter that all other state chapters look up to, but as it is right now, we are at the bottom of the barrel. A few years back (before I knew about the presidents past legal issues, I left numerous messages, and emails about becoming a life member of the AK chapter, but I NEVER got a phone call or message back, what kind of leader does that, I was willing to give $1000 to this organization, and I could not even get a call back.....unbelieved). We have more "active sheep hunters" in our state, then all state chapters combined, and if we had leadership and direction that was worth a crap I believe we could have a great state chapter here with many in-state members (and a few out-of-state members who are very concerned with our states sheep resource). I also let him know that I personally feel it is a major embarrassment that our AK chapter president is a convicted felon, and this clown should be ousted from his position. When I was living in AK, I always wondered why our president was not a sheep hunter, but after being transferred out of AK to the L48 in 2008, I found out why this guy was not a hunter, because he is a convicted felon.

Gray Thornton wrote me back, said he would look into it, etc, etc, but I never heard back from him, and that has been 8+ months. After my brown bear hunt next month, I am going to call him personally on the phone to find out what he has come up with. I told him there are lots of folks that I personally know that would gladly become active in an AK chapter if leadership and direction was changed. In addition to the chapter presidents situation, I was very disappointed in two other things:

1- How the national chapter took its position on the BOG proposals against our state members
    2- When the national chapter changed their name from the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep to the current name..... Wild Sheep Foundation, I believe most members would rather resources and direction go towards ensuring the future of NORTH AMERICAN WILD SHEEP, and the national chapter has gone the way of a world wide sheep programs.

I am also a member of the Utah chapter, and the Utah chapter has not changed their name due to the feelings I expressed above. I know it is a minor thing, but an orgs name says a lot about their core mission. I would be for reverting back to the Alaska Chapter, Foundation for North American Wild Sheep for our state organization.

I have never been one to complain about a situation, without putting a new solution forward and I feel we need to either change the entire board at the AK chapter level, or start a new organization completely. At this time, I am still living out of state, but will be retiring in Sept and moving back to Alaska permanently. I fully attend on getting this organization up and running, with help from a few others that are serious sheep hunters, and numerous folks on this forum who have expressed an interest. This will be sometime about the first of November after I have settled back into the Fairbanks area.

I know I have went on and on, but bottom line, I am glad you are expressing interest in an Alaskan Chapter, let me know your thoughts

SHA

A fool and his money is soon parted and I am a fool. Last three years at the sports show I have paid membership dues and filled out paper work and have never heard from anyone after I left the booth.

I too, have sent emails regarding this fact...no response, I will probably never join due to this fact.

A short Bio of the current president of the Alaska Chapter, Steven Flory:

I. INTRODUCTION
    Steven Flory sexually abused Mary Cook, [Fn. 1] a
    fifteen-year-old girl who worked under his supervision. Mary and
    her mother sued Flory for damages; Flory confessed judgment and
    assigned them his right to pursue a claim against his employer's
    insurer, Northern Insurance Company of New York, which had denied
    coverage and had declined to defend Flory. The superior court
    granted summary judgment in favor of Northern, finding that Flory
    was not covered by the policy and that Northern had no duty to
    provide him a defense. The Cooks claim error. But the policy in
    question expressly excludes coverage for an employee's conduct that
    causes bodily injury to a co-employee. Because the record
    establishes that Mary was Flory's co-employee and that her claim
    against him involved a bodily injury, we affirm the superior
    court's judgment.
    II. FACTS AND PROCEEDINGS
    In June 1994, while employed by the Anchorage Daily News
    as a district manager responsible for newspaper home delivery,
    thirty-four-year-old Steven Flory engaged in sexual relations with
    a fifteen-year-old girl, Mary, a home delivery solicitor whom he
    supervised. The state charged Flory with sexual abuse of a minor
    in the first degree, an unclassified felony. [Fn. 2] Flory
    eventually pleaded no contest to the lesser charge of sexual abuse
    of a minor in the third degree, a class C felony.

Mods: I am not slandering this individual...simply posting a factual article about an individual, anyone that google's steven flory will come up with the same court documents.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    A fool and his money is soon parted and I am a fool. Last three years at the sports show I have paid membership dues and filled out paper work and have never heard from anyone after I left the booth.
    Took the words out of my mouth...."fool and his money...."
    Thanks for the insights. Might save others time and $.
    Proud to be an American!

Thanks for the info I guess until things are changed I wont become a member here. Its a shame I was born here and raised and never hunted sheep nor goats until my father passed and he has several nice rams from his 35+ years here. This has become as much of a passion these days for me as well as Fly Fishing which has always been my top draw.

If things change with in the local organization I hope it is posted here!!

Thanks for the info I guess until things are changed I wont become a member here. Its a shame I was born here and raised and never hunted sheep nor goats until my father passed and he has several nice rams from his 35+ years here. This has become as much of a passion these days for me as well as Fly Fishing which has always been my top draw.

AkTroutBum

I feel the same way about the org as it is right now, but hopefully this time next year we will be well on our way to a brighter future. WHEN leadership and direction HAS BEEN CHANGED, I will keep all forum members updated. Thanks again for interest. I am actually writing another Email to Gray Thornton at the national level this week (I planned on doing it after returning in mid May, but this can't wait till then) and will ask what he has found out about our issues at our state level that I brought up, and I will be posting a link to this particular thread so he can see the embarresment our state chapter really is.

AkTroutBum

I feel the same way about the org as it is right now, but hopefully this time next year we will be well on our way to a brighter future. WHEN leadership and direction HAS BEEN CHANGED, I will keep all forum members updated. Thanks again for interest. I am actually writing another Email to Gray Thornton at the national level this week (I planned on doing it after returning in mid May, but this can't wait till then) and will ask what he has found out about our issues at our state level that I brought up, and I will be posting a link to this particular thread so he can see the embarresment our state chapter really is.

What I can't figure out is that Flory was running against Bruce Privett who lives in Eagle River. Bruce is a class guy who has hunted sheep for more than 30 years and is a diehard real sheephunter. I know that I voted for Bruce and everybody who I talked to voted for Bruce but Bruce lost by a landslide. Thats what led me to jump off sheep(sic).
    The ensemble of hunters, bios and sheep nuts is better for Alaska than any other state and yet we languish. The richest guy in the state is a sheep nut and his charitable contributions through his Rasmusson Foundation tends to fund nearly every nonprofit up here.
    No real organization and a bitter cast of characters that are steering a rudderless ship.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I always used to be a member and would really like to have an active sheep organization going again so I could rejoin. It doesn't make any sense to live in AK and not have a sheep organization. The old one used to help with funding for surveys, and many other things having to do with sheep improvement in AK.

I would love to join, but I won't support an org where I have no idea what my money is being used for.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Well let's get it going again we can all sit back and complain like we have for the last few years or do somthing about it. The thing is I have no idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Well let's get it going again we can all sit back and complain like we have for the last few years or do somthing about it. The thing is I have no idea what to do.
    I sent emails to all of the leadership members listed on the WSF website...don't expect much to happen.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I'd get copy of the charter/bylaws. It most organizations it is at times possible to remove a person(s) from the position they hold if there actions and conduct go against th foundation.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm a lifetime member and active in my local Alberta chapter.

The most effective way to invoke change is to become a member, attend the meetings, and vote.

It's hard to score while sitting on the sidelines. Get in the game.

Default Missunderstanding

Well I have joined and the only thing I have gotten is a thinner wallet. No info about meetings no news letter no contac how am I going to vote?