Thread: Coyote or Wolf at my site?

Default Coyote or Wolf at my site?

I set up my bait site about 10 days ago, checked on it today and it was cleaned out! the barrel was not knocked around or beatup at all. I saw small animal prints in some near by snow but with all the snow melting it was hard to tell if it was a coyote or wolf. Anyone else have this? I guess its time for me to buy a trailcam. There was a trashbag of dog food and a trash bag of bread and dognuts in the barrell.

Squirrels and birds......

Got any more clues than that. Not to sound critical but your description seems pretty vague. How do you know it wasn't a dog? Are there houses within a reasonable distance? Obviously you have to be at least a mile away from any residences, but what makes you think it was a wolf or coyote? Did you take any pictures? Any particular patterns made by the tracks? Did you measure the size of the prints? Was there multiple prints or just one set? Any scat or hair left behind?

Bushwhack, the area im in is popular because its road accessable so it could be someones dog. The nearest house is 2 miles away. its hard to pattern the tracks because of the spotted patches of snow. one set of tracks were 2-3 inches wide and the other were 3-4 inches wide. My 55gallon steel drum is chained to a tree with pleanty of slack covered with spruce branches, i just figured if it was a bear the barrel would be tossed around a little but it was the same as what i left it.

Stuff some logs into the hole, make it hard to remove them, bears will have no trouble. Having used cameras on mine for many years, you would be amazed at how fast birds, squirrels, moose and everything else can empty a barrel.

Good luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks stid i will try that when i go back tommaro and set up my trailcam. if anything i'll get some good pics.

yeah moose love popcorn. they cleaned mine out in a day last year...popcorn and syrup
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by jcav.444 View Post
    Thanks stid i will try that when i go back tommaro and set up my trailcam. if anything i'll get some good pics.

Make sure to use gloves to set up your camera, don't let anything from the bait get near it, if you transfer any scent to the camera you will have a chew toy. Heck they like to try to eat them anyway.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Make sure to use gloves to set up your camera, don't let anything from the bait get near it, if you transfer any scent to the camera you will have a chew toy. Heck they like to try to eat them anyway.

Good luck

Steve
    read the thread right under this about setting up cameras and keeping bears form eating them
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

i'll wear the gloves, but im not gonna take the advice of pissing on my camara!

Quote Originally Posted by jcav.444 View Post
    Bushwhack, the area im in is popular because its road accessable so it could be someones dog. The nearest house is 2 miles away. its hard to pattern the tracks because of the spotted patches of snow. one set of tracks were 2-3 inches wide and the other were 3-4 inches wide. My 55gallon steel drum is chained to a tree with pleanty of slack covered with spruce branches, i just figured if it was a bear the barrel would be tossed around a little but it was the same as what i left it.
    Coyote tracks are about 2 1/4" wide and wolf are about 4" wide. Obviously you got some overlap there. Did you see any claw marks? Sometimes only the front two claw marks will register on a coyote, but not the two side claw marks. The leading edges of the hind plantar pads are more convex then the other canines as well. Got any pictures of the tracks?

i did take pictures but there really bad with the snow mwlt it just looks like a blob in the snow. I did some adjusting to my site hopefully it will keep the unwanted out. Thanks for the Help.

And to throw more possibilities in... how about a small sow with cubs????

I had one onct that never went to the bait, just brought her babies in for free food. Then they would leave for two or three days. Then they would come back..... was fun watching, but agevating feeding the cubs, with no boars coming in.

I first thoufght that their senct would bring in some big bears, didn't happen that year.

Chris

Jcav:

What does your barrel look like? How is it tied off? How was it positioned? What are the size of the opening(s) and their respective locations?

Wet eNuf:

My 55 gal drum used to be a fuel drum so the lid dosnt come off. I cut a football sized hole on the lid, two small holes toward the bottom for my chain. The barrell is chained to a tree on it's side hole toward the ground and now stuffed with dead tree limbs.