Thread: Herring Brine

Default Herring Brine

What do you guys use for your brine on herring for fishing kings. I have only used a salt water brine but I'm going to try some pro cure for the heck of it and see if it's any better.

I use this one and then vacuum seal them in batch sizes that prevent waste.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I use the Salmon U version too, but skip the bluing. Good stuff. For me it works better than plain brine.

+1 for the Salmon U. brine. Never had luck with the "keeps for weeks if refrigerated" part though......
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

A good brine is nice but in my opinion keeping your herring COLD is the most overlooked secret to successful herring fishing.

No brine or salt for me. I use about 500 dozen green label herring (mooching) over an average 45 day charter season. I'll use up to 15 dozen a day when the cohos are around. I hate gloves when baiting, and brined/salted herring trashes my hands over the course of the season. Good herring management is the key. Pull your herring out of the cooler (frozen) and get them at least partially thawed before you hook them. I've had to use frozen herring before, when I've ran out of thawed in a hot bite.. it thaws out in a few minutes of being mooched up and down. Never keep your herring out in the sun.

Salmon U but I do use the blueing stuff, took forever to find it though
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    +1 for the Salmon U. brine. Never had luck with the "keeps for weeks if refrigerated" part though......
    Same here. I like it though, because I can freeze the leftovers if necessary and have them in good shape on thawing, or leave them in the refer for several days and still have them in great shape. Just paid $7.95 for blue tray and purple tray herring, so I'm going to be even happier to use it this year.

As for keeping it cold, you got that right. I have a little ice chest and keep it in there with cold packs from the freezer.

Best for me, the brine easily doubles and maybe triples the "life" of both plug cut and whole on the hook. I'd be brining even if I wasn't trying to make it last longer between trips.

I will have to give the salmon u brine a try.