Thread: Cataraft Advice

Default Cataraft Advice

I'm looking to get a full size cataraft and wanted to get some advice on what brand, model, and size are best suited for my needs. I plan on doing day trips and/or short overnight trips on the Kenai, Kasilof, Little Su, and Gulkana. Also, I want to do some extended float hunts for moose and caribou. For the day trips, I would probably have two to four people (included myself) and for the float hunts, I would probably have myself and one other person.

So far, I have been looking at the AIRE cougar, lion, and leopard. I have talked to several people regarding draft on the single tube cats in comparison to the double tube (quad tube) design as seen on the cougar. Does the cougar draft a lot less water than the lion or similar models?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a thread I started a while back, might help?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...es-!?highlight=

Use the search function, this is a popular topic.

Again Welcome, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by TDAK View Post
    I'm looking to get a full size cataraft and wanted to get some advice on what brand, model, and size are best suited for my needs. I plan on doing day trips and/or short overnight trips on the Kenai, Kasilof, Little Su, and Gulkana. Also, I want to do some extended float hunts for moose and caribou. For the day trips, I would probably have two to four people (included myself) and for the float hunts, I would probably have myself and one other person.

So far, I have been looking at the AIRE cougar, lion, and leopard. I have talked to several people regarding draft on the single tube cats in comparison to the double tube (quad tube) design as seen on the cougar. Does the cougar draft a lot less water than the lion or similar models?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
    tdak,
    i hunted out of a couger for quite a few years and i believe it would draw less than a single tube. in my opinion the true beauty of the double tube is it is easier for hauling meat,with a tarp and some spruce bows on class 1 or 2 river i just set it on the tubes and often never even lashed it. i know shame on me. it seemed like the meat got good air circulation even on the boat and was easier at the end of the day to hang it again.

Quad tube cats do draft less, but not by that much unless heavily loaded. The tubes on a Cougar are only 18" diameter so they don't displace all that much water compared to a 26" tube. But the single tube cats are usually faster and easier to row. In any case, if less draft is your goal a conventional raft is the better choice.