Thread: Mosquitos and clothing

Default Mosquitos and clothing

I need to settle an argument. I insist that white clothing (T shirts, sweatshirts) repels mosquitos. My fishing partner insists that white attracts them. He says dark colors are best. I know I'm right?? However, I have noticed that mosquitos don't seem to bother me nearly as much as most other people. I remember getting two bites last summer on the back of my hands, he got dozens.

The difference in # of bites between you and others likely has to do with your scent, not your clothing color. My wife always gets 2-4x as many bites as me, and we generally wear similar colors.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I need to settle an argument. I insist that white clothing (T shirts, sweatshirts) repels mosquitos. My fishing partner insists that white attracts them. He says dark colors are best. I know I'm right?? However, I have noticed that mosquitos don't seem to bother me nearly as much as most other people. I remember getting two bites last summer on the back of my hands, he got dozens.
    Your buddy needs to eat more curry, that'll do the trick
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It not the colors white or black that attract mosquitoes, the darker the colors the hotter it is that why you will find more mosquitoes on black than white.

Tell your friend he right and to ware blue clothing mosquitoes are attracted to blue more than any other color. That way you will not be bother by them as long as you do not stand next to your friend.

Emission of carbon dioxide.
    Lactic acid levels in the body.
    Heat and sweat.
    And some just have that sweet scent they love no matter what.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I can tell ya they sure like Yellow!!!!!! At times there were hundreds on this tent and not one on the green.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

they are attaracted to dark colors, Co2 and Lactic Acid...everyone gives off CO2 but an aerobically fit person uses less carbohydrates for energy and thus produces smaller amounts of Lactic Acid then a less-fit person. Lactic Acid is a by-product in the muscle use/energy phase involving ATP. Our just use some DEET.