Thread: ATV "meat wagon"/trailer

Default ATV "meat wagon"/trailer

Looking for input on a "meat wagon" type trailer. I've used one very little and with the whole family going this year, we'll just have too much stuff to strap on racks (particularly if we score) and I don't want to purchase a second machine for the little time we'd actually use it.

Thinking something we can pull behind my Cam Am 2 seater and I can just hitch a ride on top of the wagon-I'm perfectly happy to walk around bad or steep sections of trail and on certain trails I'm thinking I'll just ride my mt. bike. I know this may not be the best idea and it sounds hideously dangerous just typing it but wondering if anyone's tried such a stunt and what particular wagon they used...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Pac Rats are freaking awesome trailers and would be perfect for what you have in mind.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I just put two up for sale on the Swap n Sell - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...89#post1114889

Pac Rat are top of the line, but you will have to pay top dollar.... I'm just having a hard time parting with $1,500+ for an ATV trailer.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you can find a cheap trailer frame/axle and mount a fish tote on it, you've got the perfect meat hauler, that's what we use. Waterproof, easy to clean, near bulletproof, and light.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I have an aluminumn tandem axle trailer with a 25 gallon fuel cell mounted on it so no more hauling gas cans. also has a fold down chuck wagon table for your camp stove. trailer alone is worth 2600 without the extra fuel tank and table. only used once. Make a fair offer.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Attachment 59391folding chuck wagon stove table

Attachment 59392 aluminumn fuel tank

Have a look at this one! Watch the whole video and notice how smooth it rides. I have a single axle meat wagon and it bounces quite a bit. Wouldn't wanna ride on top of mine thats for sure...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for input everyone...

Argonut- that sounds like quite a trailer but probably more than I'm looking for, AKMud- probably wanting something covered with a solid lid.

Has anyone tried the trailer made by Greer- I saw one at the outdoor show last weekend and the price wasn't too unreasonable.
    A welder friend of mine built himself a walking beam trailer from aluminum and it's just awesome, but he's got a small fortune in just materials and refuses to build another...said he'd have to charge $3k to make a nickel on it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

At the risk of sounding like a shameless plug for money (which it really isn't; we don't make much from these), you might check out our ATV Meat Wagon Trailer Plans in the store. They're from Mike Reywalt, formerly a trailer builder from Delta Junction. His plans seem to sell well, so perhaps they're worth a look.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Greer makes a great trailer! Very sizeable/durable. The load rides nice and low and is stable even with totes on top. But, like I said, with the single axle it bounces a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74