Thread: Need advice for a freight boat

Default Need advice for a freight boat

I'm building a small cabin and I want a boat I can use to transport building material and an ATV a short distance over a medium sized lake. I would guess to largest load would have the ATV plus two passengers. I will have to ATV/snowmachine the boat to the lake. I'm wondering if a medium sized jon boat or other flat bottom type boat would be safe to use. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Truth? The guys I know who do a lot of it try, if at all possible, to wait till the lake freezes good and hard, then take it across the ice. Barring that, there are certainly formulas for computing the carrying capacity based on length, depth and width of the boat along with some hull shape considerations. A naval architect would probably be needed to do the figuring with a safe margin of error. You might try posting the dimensions/model of your boat/boats, so maybe guys with similar boats and experience can post their own results.

Default Boat

Quote Originally Posted by daveybug View Post
    I'm building a small cabin and I want a boat I can use to transport building material and an ATV a short distance over a medium sized lake. I would guess to largest load would have the ATV plus two passengers. I will have to ATV/snowmachine the boat to the lake. I'm wondering if a medium sized jon boat or other flat bottom type boat would be safe to use. Any advise would be great.

Thanks
    Wettruck is the boat for that, It can carry huge loads yet breaks down so can be carried in a pickup truce or float plane.
    Swatdot

a Hudson bay freighter can easily carry 2000 pounds of people and cargo combined

Maybe a smaller version of this>>>>> http://www.leeshoreboats.com/swiftloader30.html