Thread: Good 3 season powder for 7mm Remingnton Magnum?

Default Good 3 season powder for 7mm Remingnton Magnum?

Working up a load for a friend of mine. He is getting 6-8" groups at 200 yards with factory loaded Remington Corelocks. No worries there, his technique is good and the rifle doesn't seem to be real finicky.

I have used a comparator to measure Head to Ogive lengths on all the facotry loads and have a real good idea where to seat bullets for him. We have a few factory loads left to shoot over my chronograph.

I was hoping to just start him with Varget, but published loads for Varget in 7mm rem Mag only go up to 130 grains, we are looking at 170 grain bullets.

The Hodgdon powders in the extreme line that are listed for 7mm Rem Mag at 170 grains are Retumbo, H1000 and H4831.

Anyone have better or worse results with any of those three in 7mm Rem Mag? Other brands products we shoudl consider? He is willing to hunt down to zero degrees F, so I'd rather set him up with a powder good from the get go.

Thanks

Been using versions of H4831 since the 60's when the 7 first came out, and I'm not ready to change. Hot, cold, wet, dry, high, low..... It always works well for me. Dunno about other powders that might be "better," because I'm not ready to try them. Others with experience using the newer powders can certainly fill in there. Frankly if I was going out to develop loads today I'd take a very hard look at the Reloader line.

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    Anyone have better or worse results with any of those three in 7mm Rem Mag? Other brands products we shoudl consider? He is willing to hunt down to zero degrees F, so I'd rather set him up with a powder good from the get go.

Thanks
    Give RL-22 a try--you'll almost certainly be impressed.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

IMR 4350.
    I use 150 gr bullets, and same powder in 243, 7mm, and 375

H4831SC in 7mm Mag. is hard to beat. I used the regular H4831 for several years then tried the SC version. It works better through the powder measure. I weigh all my loads but throw them with powder measure then trickle to get it right.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

H 1000.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use 68-71 gr. H4831SC with mag primers and 160 gr Accubonds for everything in a 7 mag. I would not be happy with the accuracy level you are achieving. Try cleaning the bore with a good copper solvent, follow the instructions and be patient. I have gotten 1" groups for 5 rds at 300 years although 2.5-3" is more normal and that is with a factory M70 stainless. I did hone the trigger and bed the action but it is factory beyond that. Remingtons should shoot every bit as good. Best wishes. J.

Lots of choices! Personally I use IMR 4831 and have since the mid 70s when the guy I bought the rifle from gave me his "pet" load for it. I've tried to improve it over the years and have failed miserably. So I keep going back to the same powder.

If you are shooting heavy bullets (170-180 grains), Retumbo is a fantastic powder for reaching max velocity and safe pressure. I run mine with a 28" Pac nor tube and 180 grains Bergers with a less than max load of retumbo for 3025 fps. H1000 is a close second place. The same pressures with H1000 get me 2940 fps. Both powders are extremely resistance to conditional changes. To get maximum performance from a 7mm Rem you need to throw out the manual, and let the gun tell you when enough is enough. My bet is that you'll be absolutely surprised with what the old 7 mag will do.

I have been shooting remington in my Belgium Mauser 7mm rem mag and they are teh best..last three I shot were touching at 100 yds..put in Federal's and they were all over the place, not even near touching...so, I've stuck wtih remington...

Did have some 100 gr FMJ's loaded for smaller game...dropped a moose with it in the neck!...they were pinpoint accurate!

If you know of any FMJ, let me know...or ideas about loading the remington cheaper than the store...don't load myself, but live in the bush and need cheaper ammo...
    Scotty in the AK bush

You want a slow powder for sure, so I would start with a burning rate similar to RL 22 and go slower from there if needed. I would also be very careful if I was going to go above a manuals max load or even a known source I trusted. I always heard the Rem. 7 Mag. can spike pressures in a hurry, ya got me. I know lots of folks are using long barrels on the 7 mag., which is probably a good idea since it is "free velocity". There have been some above factory manuals max loads listed for RL 19 and 225 grain bullets out of a .338 Win. Mag. These were listed in Handloader magazine. Does that make them safe, ya got me. I know few of us have access to reliable pressure testing equipment. Most of the time our chosen target would not know if a few extra grains of powder were stuck in the case, but our rifle would. I have never been a speed demon with my hunting loads, but lots of folks are. As I have gotten older I have come to want to shoot a cartridge to it's potential, but I also want a safety margin.

In many instances, with a cartridge that's been around a few years, the load data gets a bit more conservative as time goes on to maintain pressure safety in older weapons that may not be able to handle stout loads. The 7mm RM and 300 WM are a couple examples of this. IMO, let the gun tell you when enough is enough. Use reloading data as a guideline, work up carefully, and learn to read pressure signs. Back off the when things get uncomfortable. The 7mm RM is a good old cartridge, easy to reload, and capable of doing far more than many give it credit for.

To the topic of powder. Along with what you've listed, IMR 7828 in the regular or ssc version is another good powder that performs excellently in 7mm RM. I'd go with one of these three and pick the one that performs the best for your 170 grain bullets and temp stability. 1) H1000 for all around temp stability, velocity and consistency 2) IMR 7828 also a very temp stable powder that performs well 3) Retumbo if you want a some extra velocity, but the ES is usually higher than with H1000 in the 7mm RM.

I have been told IMR 7828 was the original powder used in the 7 mag - before it was available as a canister powder and is always a good starting powder for that caliber. I load for several 7 RUM and have found it to be finicky as advertised. Tho I prefer 160 bullets in 7mm I was finally able to get a Rem AWR to shoot 5 shot groups with 150g Scirocco II to less than MOA on a regular basis with H1000 to velocities appropriate to its powder capacity and still within loading manual recommendations. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by jssbastiat View Post
    If you know of any FMJ, let me know...or ideas about loading the remington cheaper than the store...don't load myself, but live in the bush and need cheaper ammo...
    IIRC, The Grafs catalog lists FMJs make by Privi-Partizan. 160 grain.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

RL 22 and 160gr Nosler Part
    Alaska

I load 150 barnes tipped tsx over RL 22. PURE MAGIC.