Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching reds in PWS

Default Catching reds in PWS

Some of us are going to rendezvous for the 4th in that calm bay in Disk Island and were wondering about catching some reds in the salt...from what I read there should be runs peaking then over in Eshamy and Main Bays. I've heard that the commercial boats pretty much plug up Main Bay (true?) and I've also heard that it's hard to get reds to hit in the salt...

So...can we catch some reds at that time in those places, and how do we go about it with rod and reel? Are the commercial boats seiners like we see on the pinks over near Valdez, so they are easily visible and avoided, or are there other things we need to know to avoid any conflicts with the commercial fleet?

PS: please, don't hijack this thread into arguing about the good and evil of commercial fishing

Ron,
    Main Bay and Eshamy are gillnet only districts so all you'll see is the bowpickers and the set netters along the beaches. Just go slow when you see the boats and look for the corklines and remember that the corklines don't always run straight off the boats, the nets may be running in any direction away from the boats as they tow the nets to hold the "shape" to catch the fish better. Also be careful running near the beach between Nellie Juan light and Main Bay as there are some very large rocks just under the surface and a few are as far as 1/4 mile off of the beach. The gillnet district runs from the beach to 1 mile offshore so if you have to run somewhere fast try to get offshore aways and you should be clear of most of the nets and boats. I'd say your best bet for some reds would be between the commercial openers. Hope this helps some

Here's some info i received from F&G today on Main Bay
    Eshamy District
    PWSAC’s Main Bay Hatchery forecast is 1.2 million sockeye salmon. In 2012 PWSAC plans to harvest 8,940 sockeye salmon for broodstock. PWSAC announced at the general board meeting on Friday, March 23 that cost recovery would not take place at MBH in 2012. As a result, the management strategy in 2012 will be to provide two extended periods per week in the hatchery subdistrict similar to the strategy used in the past four years. Extended periods may also occur in the Crafton Island Subdistrict provided there are no concerns regarding harvest of wild stocks bound for other districts. Eshamy District will open for the 2012 season during the week of May 28.

You'll be a bit early for the Eshamy red run
    Eshamy River escapement will be assessed with a video monitoring system in 2012. The wild stock sockeye salmon run to Eshamy Lake is forecast at 53,000 fish, 33,000 of which will be needed to meet the midpoint of the 13,000–28,000 biological escapement goal (BEG) range. This BEG range was adjusted at the 2008 BOF meeting from the previous range of 20,000-40,000 fish. Beginning in mid-July, fishing time and area in Crafton Island Subdistrict will be driven by escapement of wild pink and sockeye salmon in Eshamy District, and the strength of wild pink and chum salmon runs to the Northwestern, Coghill and Northern districts. When waters of Crafton Island Subdistrict are closed for the protection of pink and sockeye salmon escapement, there may be concurrent closures of the eastern shore of Chenega Island to purse seine gear to further minimize the interception of wild stocks.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

As far as catching reds on a rod and reel goes - snagging is legal in salt water and a very effective method.

We're still getting the saltwater rod and reel stuff figured out, though they do a lot of it in BC and Washington. Techniques and rigging are all over the web when you play the google game, but as big an issue is finding the right spots. Dunno about PWS, but in our area we have the best luck off headlands and in passes, the kinds of places "cape" seiners work rather than gillnetters or bay seiners. Go slower than you've ever trolled before and figure on all your strikes coming shallower than 60'. Time it right when the fish are there, and you'll be pleased with the results.

As for snagging in saltwater, the only places I've seen the fish concentrated enough for that is right in the river mouths on the flood and a little more offshore on the ebb. On either tide watch for the jumpers and be fast with your casts because they're schooled pretty tight and there's a lot of empty water between the schools.

Catching reds in the saltwater is really tough. Some runs of sockeye will bite, others don't. Troll slow with a red hook. I've caught a few, but nothing steady or that I could count on.

I have flown the cessna 180 over main bay when the commercial guys are there and I would not even think of taking my boat into that dog and pony show .... on the other hand in about 60 ft of water, on anchor halibut fishing near cape clear one of the kids was reeling up to check bait and somehow caught this one .... one in a million!hbut red.jpg

You can use the smallest BUZZ BOMBS made. I have had very good result in Cook Inlet with them, look for jumpers and cast to them.
    Good luck

For what it's worth, a buddy told me when cruising the Culross passage, his friend, using a fly, was catching reds one after the other off the bow.....

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    As far as catching reds on a rod and reel goes - snagging is legal in salt water and a very effective method.
    WOW!!! This is a REALLY bad bit of advice. If you think you can snag fish whenever you feel like it out in Cook Inlet you'd better get a copy of the regs and read them carefully. There are different rules for snagging in different waters and saying that "snagging is legal in salt water" could get someone in very deep you know what if they follow your advice.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Snagging is legal in PWS salt water, as per the question "catching reds in PWS" have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Snagging is legal in PWS salt water, as per the question "catching reds in PWS" have a nice day!
    Like I said. The poster said "snagging is legal in salt water." If he'd said snagging is legal in PWS I would have to agree. For someone reading this thread and seeing a generalized statement like that and thinking it's legal anywhere in saltwater they'd be wrong. Thus my statement.

BTW. If you read the regs you'll also find that snagging is not legal in ALL of PWS. Take a look. Have a nice day, too!

Muttley, you wonder why! You could have said something like make sure you check the regs. That might sound better!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Muttley, you wonder why! You could have said something like make sure you check the regs. That might sound better!
    You could have said, "Snagging is legal in most of PWS. Make sure you check the regs." Then you would have not said the wrong thing in the first place and that definitely would have sounded better!

Mutt, I was referring to your post #9 not what I said or anything you my or might say to me because I could not give a tinkers water stopping project

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    WOW!!! This is a REALLY bad bit of advice. If you think you can snag fish whenever you feel like it out in Cook Inlet you'd better get a copy of the regs and read them carefully. There are different rules for snagging in different waters and saying that "snagging is legal in salt water" could get someone in very deep you know what if they follow your advice.
    MGH55 - Thanks for the support but he's not worth the effort.

I have read enough of Muttley's posts to know I don't give a crap about his opinions or rantings. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I would quit eating fish before I went on a charter with him. I have never been fond of folks with such high opinions of themselves. However, prior to now I have kept those opinions to myself as his rantings were never directed at me before.

I think most of us on here know that Cook Inlet is not in PWS. I think most of us are big enough boys and girls to know we should read the fine print in the regulations and not go by something we read on an internet forum.

Just for the sake of clarification from the regulations:

Prince William Sound Salt Waters (Page 60)

Snagging: Except for the Cordova area and the Whittier Small Boat Harbor, snagging is legal year round in Prince William Sound salt waters

You do also have to assure what is considered salt and what is not as it varies in some areas.

Cap'n Ron - I hope you didn't almost "get in very deep" because of the in depth advice I gave you.
    You have to love catching those PWS Reds on Rod and Reel - They put up on heck of a fight and are great eating

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    MGH55 - Thanks for the support but he's not worth the effort.

I have read enough of Muttley's posts to know I don't give a crap about his opinions or rantings. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I would quit eating fish before I went on a charter with him. I have never been fond of folks with such high opinions of themselves. However, prior to now I have kept those opinions to myself as his rantings were never directed at me before.

I think most of us on here know that Cook Inlet is not in PWS. I think most of us are big enough boys and girls to know we should read the fine print in the regulations and not go by something we read on an internet forum.

Just for the sake of clarification from the regulations:

Prince William Sound Salt Waters (Page 60)

Snagging: Except for the Cordova area and the Whittier Small Boat Harbor, snagging is legal year round in Prince William Sound salt waters

You do also have to assure what is considered salt and what is not as it varies in some areas.

Cap'n Ron - I hope you didn't almost "get in very deep" because of the in depth advice I gave you.
    You have to love catching those PWS Reds on Rod and Reel - They put up on heck of a fight and are great eating

Nice thread hijack guys.

Who hijacked what? Mutt

Having worked at the hatchery in main bay, I would highly discourage you from entering the bay if there is an opener going. It will be more hassle than it is worth. However keep your radio on, as there is plenty of entertainment to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    WOW!!! This is a REALLY bad bit of advice. If you think you can snag fish whenever you feel like it out in Cook Inlet you'd better get a copy of the regs and read them carefully.
    Read the tread Dude, it is about PWS NOT Cook Inlet. Cook Inlet wasn't mentioned till you jacked the thread
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I sat outside the bay a few years ago during a opener, I don't think I would take a canoe in there during that time.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast