Thread: Who has a .50 Alaskan Caliber Rifle?

Question Who has a .50 Alaskan Caliber Rifle?

Who has a .50 Alaskan Caliber Rifle? What do you think of it? Just read a good article at the news stand and it looks interesting for the future...

I ordered a co-pilot chambered in 50 Alaskan 3-4 months ago from WWG but it hasn't been delivered....not sure if there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can't really help you out on the performance stuff, although I have started casting hard core boolits and applying Gas Checks., bought some Starline brass from Mid-way. They are Big Bastaads-- 45-70 case fits right inside the 50 Alaskan brass.

I'll monitor this thread as I have an interest in the subject matter. Hunter what was the article you read? Can you direct me to it?
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    I'll monitor this thread as I have an interest in the subject matter. Hunter what was the article you read? Can you direct me to it?

Yeah me too

Ex If ya call me Ill heck on your status but as most folks know, we are busier than a voting booth in a Chicago cemetery so dont expect joyous news...but the shoulder thump is worth it

I think the article he's referring to is by Brian Pearce in the current issue of RIFLE.
    Now what ?

Never shot the alaskan but I believe it is basically a 50 ex shortened up a little so that it feeds better in your 86 actions. I have shot the 50 express quite a lot and it is a very hard hitter (on both ends). My hunting loads have been with 450 gr. Barnes flat nosed cannelured bullets loaded at around 1950fps. I had some loads up to around 2150fps but the recoil wasn't worth it. You need a good crimp if shooting it in lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    ...we are busier than a voting booth in a Chicago cemetery...
    I don't often laugh out loud when by myself. Thanks for the laugh, Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by wildalaska View Post
    yeah me too

Ex if ya call me ill heck on your status but as most folks know, we are busier than a voting booth in a chicago cemetery so dont expect joyous news...but the shoulder thump is worth it
    roflmfao!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Who has a .50 Alaskan Caliber Rifle? What do you think of it? Just read a good article at the news stand and it looks interesting for the future...
    Don't own one, but for the first time I'm interested. I've been the proud owner and shooter of an original 450 Alaskan on the Model 71, and it's surely a wonder. I've never felt I needed anything more. Gotta say though, that if it wasn't in my rack I'd hungry for the 50. I don't think I really need a 50 with that 450 sitting there, but it sure raises the question of whether it's time for me to retire that sweet original and move on. You can bet if I "re-gun" it will be the 50.

im bumping this...

a buddy here in afghanistan suggested the 50 alaskan to me, since i said that i was pretty much done with new cals, he can be a mean sob. anyway, i am now thinking of this for my encore, i would be going through MGM for it, im just looking for any ideas on this, or if anyone has one id love to hear from you. I plan on reloading from the start (factory ammo is WAY too much).
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.