Thread: First time to Alaska

Default First time to Alaska

Hello,
    I am travelling to Anchorage in mid September and have been granted a leave pass from my wife for 10 days fishing. My budget is pretty tight so I will be self guided for the most part, single fisher. Could any one offer any suggestions on what area I should be targetting. I have been looking at the Denali road system and also the KP. From my research so far this time of year in those systems should be good for the silver run. I prefer to fish smaller free stone rivers, my main fishery here in Australia is for rainbows. I will fish anything you guys suggest.
    In regards to vehicles would you suggest a small RV or is it easier to stay in accomodation and travel each day.
    Thankyou.

Trout fishing and Coho fishing the middle Kenai that time of year, an RV makes it easier to move around the area and not have to be thinking about the time to get back to the motel. It is a long drive from the Denali Road system to the KP.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    It is a long drive from the Denali Road system to the KP.
    A long, LONG drive...!!!....lol

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies, I left myself open there, No I don't plan on driving from Denali back to KP each day, it was intended to get a reply on whether I should be concentrating my efforts on either system. Although where I live here in OZ I drive 160km (100 miles) to go to the big shops.

Thanks again.
    Anyone else have any suggestions.

Denali Hwy fishing would be limited to grayling and lake trout. Mid September is pushing the envelope for fishing in that area. Streams along the Parks Hwy (Willow, Sheep and Montana Creeks) would provide fishing for rainbows, grayling & dolly varden & a chance at some late silvers.
    The Kenai is probably going to be your best bet for silvers, with rainbows & dollies (almost) a sure thing. Since you didn't rule out a guided trip, I get a guide for a day (or 2) & fish either the upper river (Kenai Lake to either Sportsmans or Jims Landings) or the mid river (Skilak Lake to Bings Landing). Spending a day or 2 guided will cut your learning curve for the Kenai by about 75%. If I were going to fish the Kenai, I'd also see about renting a raft for my stay there. Get the raft reserved NOW, as pickings will be slim in September (due to moose season). RV rental is something you may also consider - after Labor Day rentals are usually cheaper than summer rentals). Check the posts mentioning the "Fishpalooza". It would be a great way to meet fellow fisher folks and probably get you a seat on a boat (or raft) fishing with guys that also know the river.

Quote Originally Posted by mickfly View Post
    From my research so far this time of year in those systems should be good for the silver run.
    Thankyou.
    If it's silvers you want, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the KP for that......

Mid-september is a great time to fish the Alaska road system. Parks highway streams (Montana,Sheep,Willow,Goose etc.)near their confluences with the Susitna river for rainbows and grayling. There are lots of places to camp so a small RV is ideal. The Kenai river for rainbow and dolly varden. Also silvers. Further south you have the Anchor river for steelhead at that time. The Denali highway will be very crowded due to hunting season. Like previously mentioned Hiring a guide for one day can really be a huge help on learning the ropes of how to fish the Kenai. Also having a one man cataraft will really open up alot more opportunities for you. Sometimes september brings heavy rains that can make fishing extremely difficult but don't despair. Both the Kenai peninsula and Mat-Su areas have plenty of lakes to fish as well. September is a great month to visit Alaska if you're a trout fisherman!

September is a great time to fish here. If you prefer smaller streams, you will love the parks highway north of Anchorage. It will probably be pretty easy to find someone to fish with if you go north or south. That time of year there is a big fishing/party on the Kenai that is a lot of fun as well.

Other than knowing it will start snowing soon, I love September here.

Thanks for the information.
    I think the plan is to stay on the KP and do exactly as suggested, I'll take a guided trip on the Kenai and also hire a raft. I've also looked at some fly in possibilities (lakes) which will drop me off with a float for the day, can anyone suggest a good day drip and company.
    Thanks again

For a fly-in, check on flights to Cresent Lake. Very close to Cooper Landing & superb grayling fishing (might be the only possibility for grayling on the KP? - regardless, its certainly the best)
    If you feel like a nice walk, it can also be accessed by trail, from the end of Quartz Creek road. About 7 miles, one way.