Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Taxidermy!!!

Default Stolen Taxidermy!!!

Sometime in the last few days somebody broke into one of the shops that had been used by a now notorious taxidermist in the North Pole area. The thieves, who are likely disgruntled customers, took a 55" (5-brow tines on each side) moose that belonged to the 62 year old man who actually owned the building. Also believed to have been taken are two sets of sheep horns that belong to my wife and I. The sheep are sealed with numbers 4177 and 2872. The sheep number 4177 also has a bullet hole through the right horn, with about a silver dollar sized chunk taken out of the back. Who knows what else was taken at this time, but the troopers have been notified and a case opened. Anybody that has had issues with this taxidermist should contact me through the forum, or contact the Alaska State Troopers at 451-5100. Trooper Stewart is who is leading the investigation. If you took these items, please understand that you didn't rip off the taxidermist you ripped off the other people who were in the exact same boat with trying to get their animals back. If you have or know who has the two sets of sheep horns, they can be returned to me absolutely no questions asked. They are considered stolen property and possession of them is a crime, regardless of what this unscrupulous taxidermist has done to you.

If you were having work done through this taxidermist and need to inquire about your animals please contact me and I'll help you out as best I can.

Thanks,

Jeff

Photo of the two sets of sheep horns. Note that the ram on the right has frost on the horns, so they appear lighter colored than they actually are. Thankfully I at least know where the capes are and they are being held by a third party until this is resolved.

Sheep Heads.jpg

those are beautiful sheep. i really hope the person reads this and gives them back. terrible to have memories stolen by somebody they mean nothing too and like you said maybe did it to get at the taxidermist. hope you recover them.

Jeff, that blows! First the boat, now this? I'm sorry to hear, I know a lot of time and effort went into those hunts. You know if I hear or see anything, I'll be all over it. I'll put the word out where I can. Did you call Al at the tannery to let him know?

Are all of the animals that are nissing already mounted or are they just Horns / Antlers ???

I will keep my ears open , & pay attention to your photos when sheep start rolling in here this year.

Sounds like the taxidermist is in trouble from every dirrection.

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Jeff, that blows! First the boat, now this? I'm sorry to hear, I know a lot of time and effort went into those hunts. You know if I hear or see anything, I'll be all over it. I'll put the word out where I can. Did you call Al at the tannery to let him know?
    Thanks Jerry. Hopefully somebody knows something and will speak up. I haven't called Al yet, but I will. I was busy with the troopers, the tannery that has the capes, and Fish & Game today. Now it's a matter of notifying taxidermists.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Are all of the animals that are nissing already mounted or are they just Horns / Antlers ???

I will keep my ears open , & pay attention to your photos when sheep start rolling in here this year.

Sounds like the taxidermist is in trouble from every dirrection.

RJ Simington
    I honestly don't know what exactly is missing. The gentleman that let me come over to look for my sheep just owns the building. He said his moose antlers were unmounted when he last saw them earlier in the week. The taxidermist in question skipped town and apparently won't be back until October. There was a nice set of sheep horns in the shop, but they weren't mine. The reason I started this post is so others that had trouble will hopefully speak up so we can figure out what exactly is missing and we can go from there. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me RJ. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

What a friggin' drag.....hope you the best Jeff......

I heard from a good source he was still in state working as a cook for a gold mine.

Jeff,
    I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full (it says anyway). I will try again later....... Sorry to hear about the B.S. you and your Wife are going through. Hope all works out for ya Brother.......

Bruce
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan_mtnman View Post
    Jeff,
    I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full (it says anyway). I will try again later....... Sorry to hear about the B.S. you and your Wife are going through. Hope all works out for ya Brother.......

Bruce
    Sorry Bruce. My inbox must have just filled up. I cleaned it out so you should be able to send now.

Thanks,

Jeff

Really sorry to hear about this Jeff I hope you and your wife get your sheep horns back, dealing with crappy taxidermist is bad enough.

Based on what I've gathered these are some of the other forum members that are trying to get money/mounts out of this clown:

Bravo4hunter
    mandengle
    tjv1974
    cowboyfan
    hoythunter
    Graybeard
    JTWild
    jacobet
    adeluca

I've sent PM's to those that I could, but if you know any of these people give them a heads up and have them contact me. This is obviously a widespread fraud involving a lot of money and many mounts.

Jeff

If you're part of this mess, it's case number 12-34388 with the troopers.

Jeff

Crying shame for sure. I recently had worry of my own first moose mount disappearing, definitely disheartening being such a strong memory.

Hope this comes with positive resolve.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Things like this are horrible, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE for those reading this. Take the time before your hunt to research your choice of Taxidermist. This is at least the 3 rd time something like this has happened that I know in Alaska in recent times.

I hope it all works out for those effected.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well, I called the troopers to discuss the issue since like many of you I have business with this guy. From what I got out of them, it sounds like they are only investigating the theft, and still are not doing anything about him taking everybody's money and animals and never returning them. So please do call to add yourself to the list of people who may have had things stolen, but if it wasn't stolen it is still probably a civil matter, as we have been told so many times by the troopers.

I do hope what was stolen is returned to the rightful owners, and the people who did do the stealing were only trying to take justice into their own hands since the troopers won't make a move.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was all staged by the taxidermist as a cover up for him selling everybody's horns and hides.

Good luck to everybody, hopefully everybody gets their animals back.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.stigen View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if this was all staged by the taxidermist as a cover up for him selling everybody's horns and hides.
    That thought sure crossed my mine......
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Which place?

Just trying to clear this up, Did they break into his place in Salcha and North Pole? Sounds to be North Pole but just clarifying. It's amazing the troopers will jump to action when guys try to take justice into their own hands when the system failed them. We all knew this was coming and I suspect more of it in the future.

If a guy shoots an animal and leaves it to rot the troopers will be all over it.

If a guy takes his hide to a taxidermist and he leaves it to rot in his shop/house, it's a civil matter, that doesn't pass on my moral compass.

The troopers need to seize everything from this guy and try to return everything they can.

As much as I'd like to believe something is going to happen. I know I'm up a creek without a paddle.

Good luck guys. This is garbage. I hope you all get your animals back. This guy should be in prison.

Let's also not forget the lack of action taken by the troopers during the Tanana Valley Meats (where this guy is a butcher) issue a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    Just trying to clear this up, Did they break into his place in Salcha and North Pole? Sounds to be North Pole but just clarifying. It's amazing the troopers will jump to action when guys try to take justice into their own hands when the system failed them. We all knew this was coming and I suspect more of it in the future.

If a guy shoots an animal and leaves it to rot the troopers will be all over it.

If a guy takes his hide to a taxidermist and he leaves it to rot in his shop/house, it's a civil matter, that doesn't pass on my moral compass.

The troopers need to seize everything from this guy and try to return everything they can.

As much as I'd like to believe something is going to happen. I know I'm up a creek without a paddle.
    To my knowledge it was only the place in North Pole that was burglarized. I've been calling the troopers since yesterday and have yet to get beyond talking to dispatch. I do hope the troopers seize everything before anything else gets stolen. By my quick count there are at least 15 people involved in several states. There are numerous animals unaccounted for and many thousands of dollars in stolen payments. This isn't some petty issue, this is a substantial fraud (probably wire fraud too) that should be a felony based on the amount.

If you were involved in this, again I encourage you to call the troopers (451-5100 and case #12-34388). The more people get involved the more attention this will get.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast