Thread: Wooldridge xtra plus

Default Wooldridge xtra plus

I've been looking for a Alaskan 17.5 for a while. A 18.5 Xtra Plus with a 115 Yamaha 4s with 125 hrs on boat and motor. 20K What do you think? Am I gonna be dissappointed with the power of a 115? The owner claims about 5 GPH @ 27 Kts. Anyone running a similar rig? THanks

The extra plus is rated to a 175hp I think. That is about 35% more horse power than what is sitting on it now. If you ask somebody in Oregon about what jet to put on their boat, they always pick the smaller size. There are AK 17.5 with 90hp jets all over the place when they are rated to 115. In AK, not some much. Most folks will tell you put as much horse power on it as you can because of the weights carried and glacier rivers. Fuel economy is great, but performance counts too.

You still interested in my AK 17.5 if I can get the top configured real good? Good luck. Looks like there are a lot of boats coming on the market.

That Xtra+ will haul much more weight than the 115 4s will be able to step. It would be a good motor for 2 people, light gear and a dresed out Moose, or 4 people and fishing gear.
    Is it a 60" bottom?
    My gut feeling would be that you will absolutely want more power, but its a fair price on a low time set up, and you should be able to sell the motor and re-power pretty easily.
    I nkow where theres a very low time 150 Opti with pump for sale
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Some good info so far, I think you may be wishing for more juice and I think 5GPH at 31 mph might be a little optimistic. The 115 is a great motor and I had one on a older AK I with the 53" bottom, the EX+ is typically a 60" bottom.

Best I could do and stay on step was 4.3 GPH running 4400- 4600 at ~22mph and fairly light.
    The worst was 6.4 GPH at wide open (5100 rpm)............so 5GPH might be possible if really light, but 31 mph sounds a little iffy at the rpm you would need to be at to burn 5gph. The wider bottom might help some when light but could be a pig getting on step if yer heavy.
    the EX+ is a heavier boat, thicker bottom and all, its a great boat but I think its even heavier than the new wider AK I.

It would be great combo, low hours and all, if you were never planning to haul big loads or go on long trips that require carrying additional fuel.

I would think a 140 would be a min if you plan to hunt wih it, unless your planning to travel real light and maybe make more than one trip, if so that 5GPH starts looking not so good.....

Is it in state and something you can take for a test run?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Yeah- It's in town so I could take it for a test drive. I just know my judgement could be fogged by the excitment of a new boat so wanted some others thoughts. It's is a sweet rig though- I saw one online today brand new with the same motor going for going for 36k.

My 90 does fine for my uses on my 53" wooly AK. The 115 on an EX+ would do the same things I do a little better though. 4 guys fishing and 2 light + moose fine. On step I doubt you would miss the hp a bit. If you want to get in to tight spots and stop/go out of them then more HP would be in order. So far I find I have to pay more attention so where I come off step but I don't think I would get to many more places than I do now with a bigger motor. The smaller motors are cheaper and I look at it like buying a champ vs a cub. Flying a champ would beat dreaming about a cub! Also buying a solid lower hp boat right generally allows you to be on the water without losing $$ in depreciation. I could sell my 17'5 AK today for close to the purchase price 5 years ago.

Theres a 20' Xtra + on Ak list with an IB V-8 jet for 17K.
    Thats what I'd be looking at.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I had an 18 Xtra+ with a 200 Merc for several years. That was a fantastic boat and looking back I never once wished I had less horsepower. With a 115hp motor it'll still a great boat, just not as capable as it would be with more power. Whether its the right boat for you depends on your use and your expectations.

The early Xtra+ hulls had 10* deadrise in the bow and 4* at the stern with a shallow jet tunnel. That was the hot setup for outboards. The later models had more vee all the way back I believe. Somebody else can probably address that better than me. With the greater deadrise at the stern I'd want all the power I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Theres a 20' Xtra + on Ak list with an IB V-8 jet for 17K.
    Thats what I'd be looking at.
    I just bought that boat, it has not been removed from CL yet. It is real nice. Got it to replace my beloved AK 17.5 for yukon trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I just bought that boat, it has not been removed from CL yet. It is real nice. Got it to replace my beloved AK 17.5 for yukon trips.
    Good score on that. What pump does that have on it?
    The cool thing about that boat is that while is an older style Xtra, its so clean that you could put a ton of upgrades on it and make it a real nice rig.
    Post some pics when you get her in the water. I really like the Xtra plus's, like and old F-250.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Hopefully this helps the "Kid" with boat decisions. I don't want to hijack a thread. Ya, it was real clean and well cared for. EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wanted a 20ft newer AK or any years extra plus wooldridge, and POOF there is was. I like the idea of thicker gauge bottom, especially carrying heavy load. I drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back in a day by my self to get it (that sucked). It has the three stage hamilton and a ford 351. She goes in the water tomorrow for a test spin. I am really sad to see the WEE LITTLE 17.5 go, it is a great boat, just not a load hauler. I will have to get used to an inboard. There is something to be said about a little outboard. More room in the boat and easier to get at the jet when things go wonky.

I am not sure in really needs many mods to put on it except to repower it with a new motor for reliability. It all looks good so far, and I am not planning on doing that. It still has the log style risers that I may ditch and put the snails (center rise) on instead. It has over 80gal fuel capacity, lights and drink holders. They put a custom swim deck on it with a stomp grate (an absolute must in my book) I am for sure putting a fuel management system in there and I have to fix up the top. I am not a big one for electronics for river running. A mapping doohicky for sure, but they are getting pretty easy now a days. I have not used sonar in years for anything but novelty and to check water temps. I probably will tear into the jet unit just to be sure it is all good and make sure the impellers are all to spec. That will wait until summer though.

Well- I bought it. It's a 03 with a 66" bottom, 115 yamaha jet and prop lower units an extra foot, and a yamaha 8 hp kicker, full top. The hull is very good shape except one pretty good dent right in the middle about 5 ft in front of the tunnel from the original owner- I'm the 3rd. I'm stoked about the prop- and that's what he was talking about 27kts @ 4700, it will be handy for alot of what I'll be doing. It does not have a jack plate- but it will soon. Come on summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Well- I bought it. It's a 03 with a 66" bottom, 115 yamaha jet and prop lower units an extra foot, and a yamaha 8 hp kicker, full top. The hull is very good shape except one pretty good dent right in the middle about 5 ft in front of the tunnel from the original owner- I'm the 3rd. I'm stoked about the prop- and that's what he was talking about 27kts @ 4700, it will be handy for alot of what I'll be doing. It does not have a jack plate- but it will soon. Come on summer.
    Nice.....! Thats cool it has the 66" bottom most X+ are 60"....get it wet and let us know how you like it.......!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

welcome to the club, congrats. Let us know the mods you put on it so we drool.

Well- kind of embarrassing to admit but turns out it's not a Xtra plus but a AK II 18, I didn't even know they existed until I started researching after looking at the Xtra pluses on the Wooldridge website and thinking that doesn't look like mine. So once again anyone running a 18' AK II? I picked up a CMC jack plate planning to install this weekend.

The 115 might work better on the AK II, lighter and wider. Not so bad, it is still a good boat so long as you are not planning on beating it to death.