Thread: King Fishing in Anchorage

Default King Fishing in Anchorage

I am new to Anchorage, and would like to know where's the best place to catch kings in Anchorage. Also what is the best rod/reel setup and tackle? I have done a little research on my own, but I wanted to confirm what I found here. I have read that Ship Creek is a great place locally for when we don't feel like travelling far. I have also read that you want to use a casting reel, either Abu Garcia Ambassadeur or Shimano, and an 8-1/2' casting rod such as the Lamiglas Kenai Special with at least a 20# rating. I have also heard good things about Power Pro and Spiderwire Stealth braided line, and that 65-80# will do the trick. Will 150yds. be enough? There seem to be many colors including Green, Red, Flourescent, and White. I have read a lot about the fish being spooked easily, so I would guess that the white might be a good choice. Lastly I have read that many types of tackle will work including: Blue Fox Spoons & Spinners (Size 6???) and Gibbs Wonder Spoon, Crock, Koho, & Silvex. Are these good choices for this area, if not what would be good to start with?

I was at Costco on Dimond yesterday, and they have a rod/reel combo for sale that looked like it would do the job. It is a Fenwick 10-25# casting rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Kalex 60 reel for $98. They have both right and left models. I don't need the best equipment, just something that will last me a few seasons until I can get something better.

I know it's a lot to ask. Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

I have an ugly stik lite with a cheap spinning reel on it. i use 30# braid main line with a 25# mono leader for soaking eggs on the bottom. you don't need expensive gear to fish ship creek.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    I have an ugly stik lite with a cheap spinning reel on it. i use 30# braid main line with a 25# mono leader for soaking eggs on the bottom. you don't need expensive gear to fish ship creek.
    I use the same. You dont need expensive gear to fish any where. For the money the ugly stick is probably the best rod you can get. Its not the most sensitive or fastest action but you cant break it and its cheap and will last a long time. If you've not fished a lot a shimano spinning real will do the trick with 30 lb braid and a 25lb leader. I like the power pro braid with the p-line (cant remember the type) mono leader. If you fish ship you can cast blue fox spinners and pixies but the majority use bait down there and it seems to do pretty well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I use the same. You dont need expensive gear to fish any where. For the money the ugly stick is probably the best rod you can get. Its not the most sensitive or fastest action but you cant break it and its cheap and will last a long time. If you've not fished a lot a shimano spinning real will do the trick with 30 lb braid and a 25lb leader. I like the power pro braid with the p-line (cant remember the type) mono leader. If you fish ship you can cast blue fox spinners and pixies but the majority use bait down there and it seems to do pretty well.
    You ever take your boat out on ship creek? I am going to try it out this year and see if I can pick up some either at the mouth or at the second bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2012 View Post
    I am new to Anchorage, and would like to know where's the best place to catch kings in Anchorage. Also what is the best rod/reel setup and tackle? I have done a little research on my own, but I wanted to confirm what I found here. I have read that Ship Creek is a great place locally for when we don't feel like travelling far. I have also read that you want to use a casting reel, either Abu Garcia Ambassadeur or Shimano, and an 8-1/2' casting rod such as the Lamiglas Kenai Special with at least a 20# rating. I have also heard good things about Power Pro and Spiderwire Stealth braided line, and that 65-80# will do the trick. Will 150yds. be enough? There seem to be many colors including Green, Red, Flourescent, and White. I have read a lot about the fish being spooked easily, so I would guess that the white might be a good choice. Lastly I have read that many types of tackle will work including: Blue Fox Spoons & Spinners (Size 6???) and Gibbs Wonder Spoon, Crock, Koho, & Silvex. Are these good choices for this area, if not what would be good to start with?

I was at Costco on Dimond yesterday, and they have a rod/reel combo for sale that looked like it would do the job. It is a Fenwick 10-25# casting rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Kalex 60 reel for $98. They have both right and left models. I don't need the best equipment, just something that will last me a few seasons until I can get something better.

I know it's a lot to ask. Any advice or comments will be appreciated.
    Don't venture too far downstream if you're not familiar with the area. You can get into some real trouble in that mud especially with how fast those tides go. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    You ever take your boat out on ship creek? I am going to try it out this year and see if I can pick up some either at the mouth or at the second bend.
    No I havent done that yet. Maybe I will try it this year. I did pretty well from the bank last year after figuring out how to fish the water properly down there. I had a hook up almost every time I went once I learned a little.

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Don't venture too far downstream if you're not familiar with the area. You can get into some real trouble in that mud especially with how fast those tides go. Be careful!
    Yes to this. I have seen a lot of people get stuck in that mud. If you get stuck dont be afraid to leave your waders or ask for help. Your almost never alone out there unless its silver season.

I'll second everyone else. I have a quantum setup and it works great. I use 50lb mono straight up. (Green for some reason). I like to throw blue fox spinner (size 5 or 6 try both). I like a split shot above the lure to get it down in the water, and a little bit of yarn (hot pink) on the hooks.

There are different "zones" at Ship creek too. There are the waders and followers that seem to go from the wire then walk downstream. Good technique at low tide, pretty annoying at high mid-tide (only so much creek and they will horn in on you) , not really possible at high tide. then a bunch of bait folks from the covered bridge to the road bridge. Then people throwing hardware from the road bridge to the railroad bridge, then bait people agian, then a mixed bag in the floodplain. So knowing what you will fish will sometimes put in one of these gear "zones" or another.

Another thing is plan to get there well before high tide. I like to fish the incoming tide (as much of it as possible) then about 2 hours after slack tide I stop. Also it can be hard to get one of the better spots if you show up right at high tide. I usualy fish by the road bridge (there is a nice hole uncer the bridge), and get there before I even plan to fish. I sit in the sun, and get my gear right. Watch the walkers for a while, then start fishing. Nice way to get a good spot. Once you fish there for a while you will see some spots are just better for whatever reason. I also like the rip-rap (the manmade rock embankment) near the railroad bridge.

Last hint, once you hook one get that sucker in as fast as possible. People will do dumb things sometimes like cast over your line if they think you are taking to long. I line them in and drag them on shore usually. People will generally offer to net them, but sometimes I'd rather others not try. Up to you.

Then mainly, have fun. I love fishing ship creek. No where near as bad and crowded as Willow and Montana creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Then mainly, have fun. I love fishing ship creek. No where near as bad and crowded as Willow and Montana creeks.
    It can get stacked up in there but I have only run into one guy that needed a fist in his suck hole and it was during silver season. I love going there because its close to home and the people are generally really nice. I fished with a few people so many times last year I was on a first name basis with them.

lets us all kno when they show up down there

Thanks for all the great tips "akbrownsfan". I can't wait to start seeing some rollers down there.

I'm also interested in how to read the tides for the area. I was down there last night, and noticed that slack tide was at 8:15pm. Low tide as published by NOAA was at 5:07pm. That means there's over a three hour delay between low tide, and flood tide. Do you think that is due to the dynamics of the creek, or the difference in location between Ship Creek and the closest area where the tide is measured? Is it possible that the slack tide will differ with the size of the tides? It seems like based one that observation, that a great time to be down there, would be three to three and a half hours after low tide. That way it gives you time to get to the spot and sort out your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2012 View Post
    Thanks for all the great tips "akbrownsfan". I can't wait to start seeing some rollers down there.

I'm also interested in how to read the tides for the area. I was down there last night, and noticed that slack tide was at 8:15pm. Low tide as published by NOAA was at 5:07pm. That means there's over a three hour delay between low tide, and flood tide. Do you think that is due to the dynamics of the creek, or the difference in location between Ship Creek and the closest area where the tide is measured? Is it possible that the slack tide will differ with the size of the tides? It seems like based one that observation, that a great time to be down there, would be three to three and a half hours after low tide. That way it gives you time to get to the spot and sort out your gear.
    Best to go to Sportsman's Warehouse and get a tide table.