Thread: Factory Ammo for Marlin Guide 45/70

Default Factory Ammo for Marlin Guide 45/70

Ended up trading into a 1895G and wanted to get some input from folks who have had theirs a while for suggestions on factory ammo. I will be using it mostly for blackies over bait for right now. My girlfriend may use it for moose in the fall and it may come along a tromp around or two for protection--but I usually carry a shotty for this purpose.

For now, its just blackies (hopefully) at 20-40yrds. I rolled my own for years but do not reload any longer--prefer it but its a time issue. So its off-the-shelf ammo for me. I looked at several places on a trip to Anchortown this weekend and there is quite a selection at $35-$60+ a box, I didn't pick up a box of everything to try. Picked up some cheap Federal 300gr just to shoot this week for fun, but still haven't decided on a hunting load.

On a side note---Sportsman's WH was completely out of 45/70--all flavors. Said they were waiting on an order. Heard good things about Buff Bore and all the shop folk wanted to talk about the Leverlution (sp?) of which they were uniformly out-of-stock and had no idea when to expect more. So, I turn to ya'll for experienced guidance and maybe a debate or two over sp vs. cast, 350gr vs 405gr vs 520gr vs 1430gr. (Made that last number up but it sounded kool--huh)

Thanks for any helpful input--or even entertaining non-helpful comment.

Will

Default ammo

Wildwill:

I picked up some 405 grain Corbon and some 405 gr Remington at Boondocks and Great Northern Guns. haven't had a chance to test on critters yet. If I remember correct they had a good supply a couple of weeks ago.

kingfisherktn

If you want the most out of your 1895 you have to stay away from the mass market loadings. The big manufacturers make bullets that are safe for trap doors which are old blackpowder guns. You can almost get the same performance out of a 44mag. Buffalo Bore and Corbon (I think) make higher pressure loads specifically for the 1895s. These are going to be going a lot faster than the trapdoor safe loadings. If I'm pressed for time I pick up the Buff Bore 420grns. If not, I cast my own 420 and load them up to the same spec's. It's a very stout load. I seem to remember the Buff Bore lead being pretty hard so there won't be much expansion. You shouldn't have any problems poking through a blackie from all sorts of angles. I've never loaded any jacketed bullets for my 1895 and I've shot very little so hopefully someone else can help you in that department.

Good luck on your hunt!

Thumbs up 45/70 factory ammo....

Beers:30....I went thru a similar search to yours. I have a mod.86 xlt that I carry for "comfort" when I'm not hunting moose, etc. I settled on Buffalo Bore's 350grain jacketed load... good, and tough enough for anything that lives in Alaska.

The Leverevolution ammo is more appropriate for deer....Tim Sundle (Buffalo Bore) told me that the 350gr bullet he uses in his load is bonded and a bit heavier jacketed than the similar Kodiak bonded 350gr bullet. It's not as nostalgic as cast bullets, but highly effective, i.e., 350gr at 2150fps.

Happy Huntin'....

I sighted my buddies Marlin Guide gun with Buffalo Bore 405 grain loads. they are a tad hot. After that we fired a few of old regular 405 grain loads. At 100 yards the trajectory was WAY, WAY, low.

It is hard to beat those Buffalo Bore loads for a real hard smack.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up 45-70

I shot the 45-70 325g leverevolution rounds from hornady last weekend and I was very happy with the accuracy, and I think they will have good performance on game. They have had some great reviews. The recoil was a little stiff.

Default Fact Loads

I've been shooting my 1895G with a Williams peep for a year now, and I always liked it but was not blown away by its performance - until I put a 3x9 scope on it which I had laying around "just for grins".

I shot two 3-shot groups with the 300 gr Rem Factory Loads (it looked like a Sierra JSP, but I am not sure), and two 3-shot groups with the 400 gr Factory Loads (they looked like a Speer JSP, but again I am not positive).

All 4 groups went under 1" @ 75 yds, off of sandbags. Which to me is quite good for a Lever Action rifle. It forced me to reconsider whether or not that gun 'needed' a scope. (On my way home I stopped and bought a Leup 2x7 VXII).

I cannot speak at all to these rounds effectiveness on Bears - as I have never hunted one. Chrony'd data iirc was ~1500 fps for the 300s and ~1200 fps with the 400s.

Nate

Currently in Portland, OR - potentially moving to Anchorage this Spring.

Default Leupold 2X7

That little leupold VX-II 2x7 is hands down my favorite scope. The first rifle my father ever gave me was a 30-06 Remington 700ADL (granted I was 8 and it was a kickin' fool to an 8-year-old) and the one thing he did exactly right was put that 2x7 Leupold on there. I have likely killed well over 50 whitetail throughout the 20+ years I have used that gun. The scope has been well beaten by a less than responsible child--then teenager--and never failed. The scope spent a brief period of time on other rifles, but has made its way back to the same ol' 30-06--setting it up for my GF to use this year. Simply love that scope.

Will

Thumbs up sights on lever gun...

I put a Williams Foolproof on my Win86 EL and a Williams fiberoptics front bead - in green....

The combo works great even with my tired old eyes...the rifle is sooo handy and balanced, as are most rifles without scopes.

By the way, Williams doesn't catalogue its front sights in anything but red....however, If you call them up, they will make you one in green - which I prefer over red - for $28 including shipping.

A 45/70 is not a long range rifle, and a receiver sight is excellant within its proper range...atleast in my opinion.

I agree with the above note about williams sights. I have one ready to go in my toolbox if I pull this Leup off at some point. I think if I were to invest more time using it, I wouldn't feel under prepared. My original thought was a scope on such a light handy rifle would seem 'odd' but looking at it the 2x7 is reasonably compact.

I don't mean to hijack the op's thread: (but this all indirectly relates to ammo working will in the marlin 1895...). The factory ammo I mentioned is all loaded to lower trapdoor pressures, but it was a tackdriver for me.

Nate