Thread: Stalking

Default Stalking

When your stalking a bear or moose under a 100 feet do you use a face mask or paint, and what do you use on your feet?

No bother with face covers, and my biggest concern with feet is where I put them rather than what I wear. My life-long preference is for stalking, reflected in 50 years of bare-bow archery, open-sighted revolver, and traditional muzzleloader hunting. Hanging from a tree blind or lurking in a ground blind, yeah, I have used face coverings. But nah, stalking is about wind and knowledge of animals and care, and no amount of face coverings or magic shoes will make up for flubs.

No face cover and often a pipe going which helps with wind and scent,real slow and watchfull and footfall is more important than foot gear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The rifle up and sighted betweeen me and the animal usually covers my face by 100 feet.

As for foot wer, I get there useing whatever I started my Hunt with that day, depending on season and conditions, but dry comphy feet is my preference, little else matters
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Moose generally don't care. I've gotten within 20 yards just walking in lightly and laying light grunts. A good mock set of antlers on the head confuses the hell out of them, a bow, paddle etc tends to work.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I generally wear a beard on my face, and boots on my feet. Just walk quietly and wait to move as they put thier head down to feed, or look away from you.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Last moose I stalked and shot with a bow -- I was wearing blue jeans, flannel shirt, work shoes, and a hunting hat. Ending up shooting at about two yards...Maybe less! Had to wait till it turned broadside, since I just casually walked behind and up to the moose. Just kept looking at the south end of a easy going north bound feeding moose. Was sooooo much prettier when left with an arrow sunk up to the nock in the ribcage.

Stalking Black bear; it seems to be more important how fast and how quiet you move.

Chris

I'd have to agree with everybody.......never even considered putting anything on my face. Don't use scent lock either. I just wear good boots, and have jumped many moose out of their beds and stalked up on feeding moose as well. As what was stated, just watch watch where you put your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'd have to agree with everybody.......never even considered putting anything on my face. Don't use scent lock either. I just wear good boots, and have jumped many moose out of their beds and stalked up on feeding moose as well. As what was stated, just watch watch where you put your feet.
    I might add though....that I have watched bowhunters take their boots off for their final stalk..... That swamp water can be pretty cold sometimes.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I might add though....that I have watched bowhunters take their boots off for their final stalk..... That swamp water can be pretty cold sometimes.....lol
    I knew an old Eskimo out in Aleknagik who hunted in canvas sneakers for speed and stealth.

For the better part of the 20th century people hunted and stalked in red/black plaid and killed perhaps millions of animals w/o the aid of camo. But camo is just darn cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I knew an old Eskimo out in Aleknagik who hunted in canvas sneakers for speed and stealth.

For the better part of the 20th century people hunted and stalked in red/black plaid and killed perhaps millions of animals w/o the aid of camo. But camo is just darn cool!
    Reminds me of a time when me and a buddy were in Pay & Save, (I'm sure you remember when they were where Sportsman's is now), some guy walked into the sporting goods section completely decked out in camo. I wasn't paying attention, but I hear my buddy say "I can't see him". When I looked at him and said "huh?"....my buddy said again...."I can't see him, can you?" I didn't know what the hell he was talking about till I saw the camo guy look over at us cause my friend said it loud enough for him to hear it too. I was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

The only camo I have is my goretex rain gear. Other than that I usually hunt in charcoal, or black fleece. I have been known to put tyvek whites on when sheep hunting though...

under 100 ft? so i guess 33 yrds i probably would discontinue my stalk and proceed with the shot on those critters you're talking about. when going after muleys i used to take my boots off and do the final 100yrds or so with my wool socks especially in the fall when things are dry and crunchy. situation would dictate but a little face mask in your pocket to use up close couldn't hurt. like most said i don't think clothes and every thing camo'd to the hilt is going to be a deciding factor. limiting movement and scent maybe more critical. ol fred bear used a flannel and a hat and he seemed to do ok. i was wearing all black (klim bibs, baffin boots, black shirt and i was within bow range of the sheep in my avatar pic.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I have only been using camouflage clothes in the last few years because of all the rain. Wool paint and shirts are quieter than most camouflage outfits, it would be nice if wool was also water proof.

The main reason in my opinion most hunter do not need to be use camouflage clothes is they are hunting with a rifle and shooting at long range. I hunt moose in a heavy brush, antler restriction area and the only way to find a animal is by calling or going after him. When a moose knows where you are you need all the help you can get. I'm getting really tired of getting busted.

If leave are wet from the rain they do not make noise try moving through an area of dry leaves and not making any noise now that hard.

I like the idea of using fake antlers except for the problem. The lasted three or four bulls that I called in have come in to fight and sense I have been charged by several moose in the passed and I was not wearing antlers, I do not want to find out what would happen if I had antlers on.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I do not want to find out what would happen if I had antlers on.
    Of all the bulls I've called in to close range, I've only been charged by a bull once, and that was around Thanksgiving when I got too close to him and his cows for a pic. I can't imagine a big bull during rut that decided he wants a piece of you.

Oh....and I was charged by a cow that chased me into my shop and wouldn't let me come out for awhile.

my face there's no point in covering....that close i've got such a huge cheesy grin, i'd have to paint my teeth to keep hidden.

had bulls in super close as well and never been charged, i've only been charged by cows, never bulls in the rut.

agree with others, where i set my feet and what i do with the brush around my legs is more important than what i'm wearing.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Dont think I even own any camo.. Never wear face paint even when really close with a bow. Dont matter what you are wearing if you get caught moving you are busted... dont skyline yourself,dont try standing upright with no brush.simply move slow and methodical and as said watch where you walk.... oh and be Patient on a stalk never rush well unlss you have to

only bull moose I nearly had an issue with was when we shot the bigger bull he was gonna fight with and we had to chase him off...

Amigo Will, BRWNBR, and Bear....you guys are awesome...that's true hunting, no need for $200 sitka pants (I bought a pair this year BTW, pretty sure they're gonna make all the difference...haha)
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I stood among four deer this morning at about ten feet for probably fifteen minuets.I backed out as my dog was starting to get close.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I use a face mask while still hunting in the rainforest. In the dark thick nasties when I'm looking all the time my white face really stands out. It's like those while throat patches or white rumps. So to see game before being seen I'll use camo. Of course wind and movement are considered too. Goats and sheep have keen sight. Good camo can help in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    When your stalking a bear or moose under a 100 feet do you use a face mask or paint, and what do you use on your feet?
    For the last 100 feet, usually a caribou skin loin cloth and a stone tipped spear.