Thread: Flattop

Default Flattop

Just move to ANC and am itching to get on the trail. Can I hike to flattop yet or us there still too much snow to hike safely at this point?

People hike Flattop all winter long. If my hike up Baldy (Eagle River's version of Flattop) last night is any indication, expect punchy snow that makes you work a bit. You'll be fine with regards to safety, though. There is always a trail up Flattop.

I have friends that have been up twice this week. They said it was in good shape, but like was said already, it's used all winter long.

I went partway up on Tuesday. There is still snow all the way to the top, and it's wet, loose snow, so it's hard going. You posthole (sink to your shins) pretty much the whole way. In the areas where the snow has melted off, it's muddy. (Go figure, right.) It doesn't look dangerous, but it's slow going. (For me at least; a group of 3 college guys blew past me in running shoes, shorts, and no shirts. To be young again I guess.)

I went up friday and the trail is good almost all the way to the top. There is a trail beaten into all the snow patches. If the top is icy you may want some kind of ice traction to get by the last little bit.

On that last ten yards at the top even a three-pronged garden tool helps increase your security. Actual security as well as mental security.
    On that last ten yards to the top my greatest concern is that somebody above me will slip and take me down a path I would rather not go.

Flattop is a nice hike. The first time I did it, the last 20 yards or so was glare ice from people slidding down it...I did not have crampons, so I enjoyed the view and turned around at that point...no reason to kill myself if the conditions were bad. All the other times it has been great. I wear gorttex shoes year round as there is always "wet" to be found. The biggest problems I have had on Flattop is finding a parking space on a beautiful day
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger45 is right on all points.

I'm REALLY hoping the snow and Ice clear by June 9th. I want to pack my ham radio gear up there for a contest weekend; it's an awesome place to operate from-it's like having a 3500' antenna, but I'll be working from well below if it's still iced in.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Roger45 is right on all points.

I'm REALLY hoping the snow and Ice clear by June 9th. I want to pack my ham radio gear up there for a contest weekend; it's an awesome place to operate from-it's like having a 3500' antenna, but I'll be working from well below if it's still iced in.
    Yoou could always set up on top of Blueberry Hill, I am sure it is clear now. The small hill you walk around on the way to the top.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Yoou could always set up on top of Blueberry Hill, I am sure it is clear now. The small hill you walk around on the way to the top.
    I have done that once before and with good results. It's a nice, flat area, and I guesstimate it to be about 2800'. I'll probably be up there tomorrow testing some new antennas. The drawback to Blueberry Hill is Wolverine Peak blocks everything toward Eagle River/Wasilla.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I have done that once before and with good results. It's a nice, flat area, and I guesstimate it to be about 2800'. I'll probably be up there tomorrow testing some new antennas. The drawback to Blueberry Hill is Wolverine Peak blocks everything toward Eagle River/Wasilla.
    If that is the case, have you considered Bear Mountain just off the Peters Creek Exit? Shorter hike than Flattop, and what a view!