Thread: Accubonds?

Default Accubonds?

Been trying to work up a load for my new XBolt in 308 using 165gr accubonds. I have not had the most friendly of windless days so trying to be patient as I have shot some great 2 shot groups but having a hard time holding that third shot in there with its friends!

Anyway, I loaded some out to 2.82 (Saami is 2.81 ), and they were feeding a bit hard - had to push bolt forward a bit hard to get them to close. I can't say I see any rifling marks so not sure I am against the lands - however I had a box of factory Nosler 165's and they were set back to 2.70? Hmmm, got me wondering if do to the ogive shape this style needs to be backed off as the factory loads chambered very nicely.

Anybody else play much with the accubonds and have any input?

Thanks
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I load Accubonds in at least 5 different calibers, it has been my experience that they are more accurate close to the lands, 005 off is the sweet spot on most of my loads. Being an old aircraft mechanic I measure everything and know how far to the lands for everything I load for. I also use the RCBS precision Mic to measure my fired brass to know what to set the shoulder back to.

The bolt being hard to close could be from contact on the shoulder of the case as well as ogive contact with the lands. I would try to cycle some brass after sizing and see what happens. If that is good maybe seat the bullets farther in .005 at a time until the bolt closes correctly.

Having used my tools to measure several different factory loads I can say it has been my experience that many factory loads are seated deep and the shoulder pushed back beyond SAMMI specs to ensure proper cycling in a variety of rifles. With the focus being on function over accuracy.

Every animal I have taken in Alaska has been shot with either a Barnes TSX or Accubond, and after seeing dozens of wounds caused by both, that TSXs tend to poke holes through and the Accubonds deliver devastating wound channels.

I have a 180 grain Accubond and ReLoader 17 load for my 06 that flies at 2917fps and is sub MOA, I have Leupold make me some CDS dials for that load and it has proven to be deadly at 500 yards.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I found that 180gr Accubonds in my 300 SAUM do not fit in the magazine if built to fit close to the lands in the Model 7. The OAL for the 300 SAUM is 2.825 and the 180gr Accubonds were well over that when pushed out to the lands - 2.95 I think. It appears that the throat in the Model 7 is way down deep for some reason. Well beyond what the magazine box dimentions would allow.

Factory Remington ammo is only available up here in 165gr corelock, and that ammo OAL is 2.73 well short of the OAL that fits in the magazine box.

If you are not noticing marks on the bullet and not able to measure a change in OAL from a pre and post chambering of the loaded case you may have a chamber size issue, or a case resizing issue.

Does once fired and neck sized only brass chamber better?

Good input Ray & Steve - thanks.
    I reloaded the cases I used once before this firing and don't recall the issue of the bolt not wanting to close smoothly like the second batch. I FL resized and did not change any die settings so case/shoulder lentgh I would think would be fine. Now, last night I reloaded some of the fired cases and set the accubonds back to 2.77 and they functioned fine. I started with a variety of powder loadings and just set the original loads to 2.80 to break in the gun and see if any load set up showed promise to focus on. The second batch was based on one of the first loads printing under 1in and was going to see if it was a fluke or I had hit a winner as the first day was under rather gusty winds.
    I did notice the factory Nosler Accubonds had a cannalure which the Nosler bullets I bought to reload did not???
    I tried some 180gn TTSX's last night and they would not work - mashed 9 cases trying - just too long a bullet for the 308 I guess...

I will try to establish the OAL I have with this gun over the weekend by smoking some test rounds and playing with seating depth... I just thought it was a rather large set back at 2.70 for the factory rounds and that made me think it pointed toward bullet shape...
    I shot 2 - 3 shot groups with the factory loads and plunked 2 rounds of ea group under .4in and then threw the third out to 1.50 so factory round has a lot of promise and I need to test it again under better wind conditions.
    Surely shaky hands and old eyes can't be the culprit on the groups?
    I sure like the BC of the Accubonds and hope I can stay with them, I did order some 150 grainers today to try also.

I have about 2 1/2 boxes of Barnes 30cal, 180gr TTSX's if anybody wants to swap some 150 - 165 Accubonds for? I will never shoot them up in my 300win mags....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey,

I was leaning in the direction of the shoulder touching a little hard. I haven't had any issues with Accubonds touching when loaded to maximum spec length in any rifle. Generally the pointed bullets don't touch as soon as the rounded bullets do.

Unlike Stid I have had better luck jumping Accubonds .075" - .100" than loading them long. Just another example of the stuff re-loaders test to find the magic in their combination.

I'm puzzled at your TSX being to long comment? Mashing 9 cases has nothing to do with the length of a bullet. It almost sounds like your seating die is set incorrectly and pushing down your neck causing your shoulder to bulge. Do you have any pics?

Another issues you may be having with the TSX is the grooves catching your neck while seating and pushing it down crushing your case. If you are reloading crimped cases with out prepping the necks, (sizing, trimming and chamfering) they will catch the grooves while seating. Even cases that were not crimped should be chamfered when seating Barnes bullets.

You can color the bullets with a magic marker and it makes it much eaiser to see if the bullets are touching the lands.

OK, curiosity got to me and after the Cubs ( America's Team ) won tonight, I headed to the basement for some investigative work!

You guys nailed it, operator error! Geez The retaining nut on the seater die was loose and I was sticking them in too far - Hmmm wife has never told me that - ? LOL That would also explain the TTSX issues - DUH!

Cast Iron you read my mind, I use a marker most of the time - especially on the plastic tipped boolits....This XBolt had free room out to 2.938 - I loaded up 9 rounds tonight at 2.87 and they fed like champs - will try to poke some holes this weekend but we have stormy weather predicted for next 4 or 5 days...

I appreciate all the inputs fellas - it should be a point taken by new loaders to ask some questions to others when something does not seem right as even seasoned reloaders miss some obvious signs on occasion... Now, where did I leave those glasses???