Thread: 1/2 way home.....

Default 1/2 way home.....

This trip started a couple weeeks ago, with the wife, Tlinketwarrior and I heading to Deering, with a bit of some adventuresome rideing, where He and the Wife almost caught a 8 foot long Oogruk'Bearded Seal' on the ice, but it got to his hole, and we though gone for good...... while we marveld at his size and his hole, he came up a couple times for breath and a good look at all of us. It would have been an easy catch, but for lack of a Harpoon or hook, there was no way we could have hauled up the Huge bag of Blubber, so we just smiled back at him. Then we had some seriuos trouble with me ride eating glycol....and on we rode, stopping, cooling adding coolant till we were makeing our own with a pan, snow and torch......later we encounterd a FRESH Polar Bear Kill with blood, bits and prints strewn about ,(I was too stupid to take a picture) and this on a foggy trip acros the ocean, 'till we hit the coast a Point away from the one we wanted and trail choked with Muskoxen was our final look at wild beasts before we arrived, towing my ride, and both sleds 6 miles outta town.
    A day later and a rebuild, we had to replave the engine with my sons spare engine, as there is no substitute for a base gasket that blew, except factory made. Just the next morning, as we finnished the ride, a change of plans was apon us, and I rode Tlinkett to Kotzebue to catch a jet due to a real need at home.

The ride back up to Kotz was a 90 mile treck, but with a fat Caribou to Tlinkett's credit, almost dead on the Arctic CircleThe ride I was on wasnt reliable,(I dont know the type at all) so I waited an extra day and my friend Brett was set to go, and that we did.........the Weather was perfect, the snow machiine co-operating, and we blasted a couple Arctic Jacks, and came in ready to go after long nights nap.

The ride south to Deering city was uneventfull, and we arrived in good order, but with suspiciously low clouds that obscured anything above 300 feet....not good for mountain hunting......

Vince would likely remeber how good the hunting is from th oldest son's window, and we watched him ,rifle in hand, and his huntin'n partner Pat with the harpoon, go get a nice fat delicious Ring Seal that was sleeping close on the Ocean....

With 375,000 Caribou moveing through, we never were out of sight of Caribou................
    Seen plenty of Wolves looking "Fuzzy" now, so we passed them all up, although a Black Monster was very tempting, still I was a week too far, and Fur is over 'cpt the water fur......
    Caught up on the Caribou Meats situation, shot up the local Jack Rabbit population and returnned to Deering after a couple hours, due to a bad clutch on one ride and blowing clouds comming on in as the afternoon progressed, covering the mountains we wished to hunt......but the Coast was clear....litterally ~~LOL!!~~
    The next morning, things we fine, 'cept the weather......and we waited, and waited and waited..~~LOL!!~~we blew Fri, Sat, Sunday untill Monday morning, and we were unleashed .

We came across several BrownBears, though not as Fat as I want, so we drove on, and they live. Ill have a fat one or wait till next Spring and although Brett settled in on an 8-1/2 foot BrownBear, it wasnt very fat at all.......

My son made a load with 4 Caribou and went home , his partners doing as well .

Talked with fellow Hunters too..........T.R., the fella on the far right scored the first Goose of the season yesterday Lucky ,Lucky,Lucky...

Now theres tomarrow for repairs on the ride,as both my ski's are toast after a trail through some vlcanic rocks, and a day off for my sunburn and my frost bites.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

as usual, your life of subsistence is very interesting and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I really enjoy threads like this. Thank you for sharing. Keep it up please.

Awesome! Good times! Thanks for the great write-up and pics!

Sounds like with all the repairs that meats getting pretty expensive this trip! Hopefully your luck will change!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

WOW.......for only an 8.5' b-bear, he sure looks like a beauty...!!!

Chip, glad that Tlingitwarrior made it for a visit, great pics and stories as usual, thanks for posting,

Great story as always Chip! Looks like spring is treating you and your family pretty good in the meat department but sticking it to you with mechanical issues, hope you get those sorted out. Great looking bear!

Always good threads and the bride right with you is great
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm glad ya like the 1/2 story ~~LOL!!~~

The ride is revived, with parts from a Busted up tub RMK, like mine, but 40,000 less miles and while we were out the son rebuilt my base gasket ordeal and my original engine is back in and running fine. Parts are always an issue for any work machine, and Im long on trade for such, so its the time it takes to get them that kills good hunting days. I had good help geting a narly impossible to find cylender earlier this spring, and its the major reason I roll today. At least Ive been caught up now on my fishing and Meat makeing, an placeing a load of "Stuffs" in my summer hunting area cache, so I and the family will have an much easier time come summer with loads.

Now the ride home might be a different deal, as it seems that its 'water, water,....everywhere" now and we hope it gets a bit cooled down again, but well see.

Ill le ya know how it go's.

I'm looking forward to the next half!

I had a blast hunting with Stranger, even though the trip was cut short due to family emergency back home. I'm hooked on hunting the ice pack, as my seal hunts to date have been in open water. Sure wish we had a camera going on the ooguruk expereince My snogo needs work and its in good hands with Stranger, and I found out the hard way that so does my scope. Had the 30-06 dead nuts in town, then something happened on the way to Kotz and it was shooting a foot or two low. Tried to get it sighted back in while in Noorvik, but bad scope. Looking forward to some caribou meat and can't wait to get up that way next year to do it right! I'm born and raised Alaska, and have hunted all over the state, but Stranger's back yard is some incredibly rich country, as his stories and pictures have shown over the years.

You guys run out of salami and cheese yet Stranger? Hope the smoked fish was good and next time I'll wrap the stuffed olives in bubble wrap!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The Salami is gone, Tlingit, and the cheese is almost history Great stuff indeed!!

This place is hard on Man, Machine and scopes as well. I personally dont use a scope, and have previously damaged good iron sights insted Yes, net year will arrive before ya know it. Its not always easy haveing a ride last hrough a hard cold winter intact, repairs are like romance, a daily happening ~~LOL!!~~
    The wife and you had me fairly entertained with the shooting, youll have to try a Seal hunt with the real spear chuckin' expert, my oldest son next time that boy is at home in the shifting ice and leads.

Well, today we parted company with Brett, he should be home soon, and were gonna double up through the mountains till Kiwalik then over Uncle hill to Escholts and home.........might take a couple days, as we mosey along, we returned today due to the white out, but trail rideing is doable, just not huntable, but no problem, another day with the grand kids is a good day indeed.

Hard on machine and scopes and especially man, even more so when Stranger runs the 1,000 lb frieght sled over the small of your back LOL!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

That was an accident, running you over, honestly Tlingitwarrior.

I was actually trying to park, but the ride just wouldnt stop ~~LOL!!~~

Leupold is a VERY popular Arctic scope. They are the only 'old' scopes I see in use as everything else craps out with even moderate use in just a couple years. If a guy needs an all around rifle, with open sites, buy an M-39 version of the Mosin Nagant, an M1Garand, or to scope a Winchester M-70 or a Remington-700, what ever it may be as to your peticular caliber, and get run over by freight sleds on ice and still do it right.