Thread: 1 man fly fishing raft

Default 1 man fly fishing raft

What 1 man raft do you recommend fly fishing from for the Kenai and other smaller streams around Alaska? Thinking about getting an electric motor for one so motor across skilak

I'd think twice about an electric motor across Skilak lake. That's a big lake that can change fast. For the small cats I would stay with 9 ft and longer. I like my 11 ft power drifter a lot with 2 hp honda it gets the job done nicely.

Power drifter, thanks for the reply and recommendation.

I have a 10ft that is pretty nice, I would error on the side of caution and go bigger then smaller. I got mine at sportsmans. Anther good place to check out is craigslist. You often find decent deals on there.

I'm repeating secondhand info, but here 'tis anyway:

A buddy of mine has been using them for years on all sorts of rivers big and small, especially around Montana. His rule of thumb is "longer than you think you'll need." He's a big guy like me (6'4" or so and somewhere between 225 and 250) and just like me, uses 9-footers on lakes. But he scared himself silly a few times with it on rough rivers. He told me his latest (I don't recall the brand and model) is 11 feet, and he calls it "just right" for rough rivers. He's off electric motors too, saying between the motor and battery, you're better off putting the same weight in a gas model. Not enough speed when you need it, or life expectancy of batteries.

bigger is better for sure. i started with a 10' and it was really nice but moved on to a 14' having a floor is so nice! way easier to fish while floating and you can take a buddy, have more rods set up and ready to rock when u get snagged and break off