Thread: What would you take for mountain siwash camping?

Default What would you take for mountain siwash camping?

I'm packing ultra light for a foothills black bear hunt, my boy and I. Two nights. I want to compare my list with your responses.

A light duct tarp like painters use for floor protection. Coffee pot and coffee,peanut butter, crackers,spam/corned beef, oro wheat sandwich thins bread.Two extra pair of socks and a half dozen candy bars your choice and a wool military blanket.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like that duck tarp Idea, because I hate plastic tarps and I'm basically old school. Your ideas match mine.

TiGoat bivy gets a big thumbs up. Throw in a ultralight tarp and go.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

4 MH each
    3 oatmeal ea
    assorted cliff bars
    2 candy bars ea
    GoLite SL3
    Western Mountaineering bag
    Kids TNF Tigger bag
    Tigoat bivi x2
    neo air x2
    hunting pack x2
    Normal hunting clothes worn (mostly merino wool) No spares
    Puffy jacket x2
    Rain gear x2
    skinning knife
    MSR hyper flow
    Soto stove w/ 1 small cylinder
    Platypus bladder x2
    nalgene bottle x2

Gun/5 shells, knife, magnesium fire rod, small tarp or poncho for shelter, light rain jacket/pants or 35Gal black trash bag, bino, rangefinder, good boots, 4 MH meals, canteen cup, waterbottle, 50ft of 550cord, 2500 or simiular size pack for hauling the hide and or meat.

Sounds like one of my survival trip outings...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I smear some Filson oil finish wax on the tarp to help water proof and put four gromets on two ends for stakes or tie downs.You find the Filson wax in the same area as shoe polish or mink oil.One can is plenty. I have two trapper nelson packs and a WWII pack board I made a canvas bag for all have tump lines.For bear I would use the pack board as I learned from elders like you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd bring things up in modernization a little and add a gps and spot as well.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thanks for all the replies. I'm basically going to do an "old timer " hunt in the spirit of Andy Simons. Don't need a GPS or SPOT because on the Kenai you can nearly always hear cars on a highway in the distance no matter how far you go in or up (unfortunately).
    The dietary and clothing suggestions are appreciated as are the others. I will probably be taking a small stove inside a coffee can "tea billy".
    Will, I am going to bring my Trapper Nelson. I'll be picking up a canvas drop cloth today for my siwash shelter.

Might find this video of use, shows how to make a shelter from a paint tarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSVYvNsE88
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I like these pyramid tents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xbCrcMD0Y

I think if you go minimalist without zippers, sod cloths, etc. it might not weigh much more than a canvas tarp.

I've used mine with a stove which would be more base camp-like, but they're really comfortable.

Hmmmmmmmm, the usual, please......my canvas tent 1/2 , sleeping pad, sleeping bag, German internal framed rucksack or a pack frame, rope and gunnysack. My possibles bag,( fire, asswipe,cleaning kit,small tools and 'stuffs') grub for the trip and coffee for a couple days, my canteen and tea billy, trencher plate and table where, spare clothes and socks, trashbags, rope, plastic tarp/ground cloth, Mosin M-39,20 shots, knife and bug dope............what the Wife carry's will be up to her, but I'm sure it would fillin the gaps...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm basically going to do an "old timer " hunt in the spirit of Andy Simons. Don't need a GPS or SPOT because on the Kenai you can nearly always hear cars on a highway in the distance no matter how far you go in or up (unfortunately).
    The dietary and clothing suggestions are appreciated as are the others. I will probably be taking a small stove inside a coffee can "tea billy".
    Will, I am going to bring my Trapper Nelson. I'll be picking up a canvas drop cloth today for my siwash shelter.
    I think you're down here by me somewhere.......just curious where you're headed? Not your exact spot of course, but general area? I've been milling over a few places here local as well.....

Man, its been years since I've actually done a true Siwash. No sleeping bag, not tent, etc. But, when I was guiding sheep hunters it was a regular practice for me. From my recollection I think this is just about all I would bring. Hip boots, Fleece pants, long underwear, fleece jacket, parka, rain coat, mad bomber rabbit fur lined hat, wool gloves, msr stove, cook pot, nalgene bottle, spoon, mountain house dinner or two, maybe a candy bar or two, lighters and firestarters, gun, bullets, binos, knife and sharpener, camera. That's just about it. Bare bones. That way if we knocked down a sheep, it was just one pack outta there. No multiple trips. Good on ya Sayak for taking someone out there with ya to show em how its done. Good luck.

Only thing I add: bug net for over my face at night. I hate the buzz of skeeters, but sleep if I know they can't eat me.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Only thing I add: bug net for over my face at night. I hate the buzz of skeeters, but sleep if I know they can't eat me.
    That's is why I use my TI Goat Bivy with bug net, at 6ozs it keeps me and my sleeping bag dry and bug free.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That's is why I use my TI Goat Bivy with bug net, at 6ozs it keeps me and my sleeping bag dry and bug free.
    Makes me think of one time when I was a kid in Tahoe. We were camping out in Desolation Wilderness. I had (still have) a canvas military over bag over my down bag.....no tent. It's not water proof, of course, but I did wake up snug and warm that morning with about an inch and a half of snow all over me. I was impressed.

I just looked yours up......looks like a good product.