Thread: Kenai/Soldotna Spring Lake Fishing

Default Kenai/Soldotna Spring Lake Fishing

Do any of the smaller lakes in the Kenai Soldotna area offer any kind of decent trout fishing in the spring once the ice is off? I would like to take a new to me boat out for a few shake down runs with the dogs and I figured I ought to take the trout trolling gear.

The last time I tried this I got a couple 10-12 inch fish out of Sport Lake and a few 6-8" fish out of Longmere.

I was told these small lakes in town pretty much get fished out during the ice fishing season, thoughts?

Thumbs up Trout . . .

Kelly-Peterson Lakes and Watson Lake all have big rainbows. Check the regs . . I think the limit is two, only one of which may be over 24". Been a while since I fished out there, but all three lakes have really nice fish.

Also check Dolly Varden Lake out Swanson River Road. Some rainbows but, in spite of its name, no Dolly Varden. The fish in Dolly Varden Lake are all arctic char, they've been there since the last ice age, and are of the same genetic stock as the fish in Kamchatka.

Good luck . . .

Kelly-Peterson and Watson lakes are within the Kenai Lake drainages, so the bag and possession limit is two per day and in possession, of which only one per day 20" or longer. Any rainbow trout over 20" also is subject to an annual limit of two and must be recorded on your license. (page 44 of reg book)

Lakes and ponds within the Kenai Peninsula, except for the Kenai River drainage, have a bag and possession limit of 5 per day and in possession, of which only one per day 20" or longer and annual limit of two. (page 41 of reg book)

Marcus: you made me look back through old reg books to see if it used to be 24" instead of 20". I went all the way back to 1960 and lakes and ponds always used 20" as a break point.

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    Kelly-Peterson and Watson lakes are within the Kenai Lake drainages, so the bag and possession limit is two per day and in possession, of which only one per day 20" or longer. Any rainbow trout over 20" also is subject to an annual limit of two and must be recorded on your license. (page 44 of reg book)

Lakes and ponds within the Kenai Peninsula, except for the Kenai River drainage, have a bag and possession limit of 5 per day and in possession, of which only one per day 20" or longer and annual limit of two. (page 41 of reg book)

Marcus: you made me look back through old reg books to see if it used to be 24" instead of 20". I went all the way back to 1960 and lakes and ponds always used 20" as a break point.
    You are no doubt correct, tally, as it's been a few years since I fished any of those lakes, and memory fails.

Attachment 59358

Here's a photo, taken several years ago, of some char from Dolly Varden Lake. The largest one in spawning colors is as big as I've seen from there. Thought about getting it mounted but decided against . . who would believe those colors were real?

Default K/P trout . . .

A nice mess of Kelly/Peterson trout taken one spring some years back . . trolling a Rapala . . .

Attachment 59359

Catch and release in bacon grease . . .

anyone know the state of hidden lake right now? still a ways to go until open water?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks for the input! Two more weeks 'till the boat gets here, where is the pacing smiley...