Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Creek Lodge out of business??

Default Sheep Creek Lodge out of business??

Overheard a fella whilst out to dinner speaking to a tune that SCL was shut down and that the owners are done. Huge bummer as I've enjoyed stopping in after every northern trek.

Apparently on April 11th the State DEC closed them down under some sort of water restriction.

Call the lodge and listen to the message...

907-495-6227
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

that sucks...used to stop in there for a beer or two after fourwheelin upper kashwitna or fishin on Montana for bobos!!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

907-495-6227
    That is a way-sad message...... :-(

That really sucks. I wish they would have let us know. My boss is a water/wastewater engineer and there's often a way to fight or fix these things. I'm going to call my contacts at the ADEC tomorrow and ask for more info.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

seems all they would have to do is get within codes again..right?

Am I missing something here?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Unless it was way too expensive or they were looking to get out of it anyway. They might have seen how much it would cost to get their system up to DEC standards and decided they'd let someone else take the cost as part of the buy-in.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of a "boil down" can share some info. Something with the ground water interfering with surface water or vice versa.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    seems all they would have to do is get within codes again..right?
    From their message, at that phone number, it seems that they are not aware of what exact rules/regs are being unmet. ??? If true, that sure doesn't look too good for DEC.

The owners abandoned their year round customers in "Lieu" of the seasonal Tour bus customers. Who prefer "Steel Cut Oats" for breakfast instead of Bacon and Eggs. And they think that drinking and playing Pool is offensive. So they got rid of the Pool table. And "last call" is before the fun used to START! The water issue seems like it could be easily resolved. But, it probably gets more mileage for them as an excuse for Failure.

20yr Customer

The Gov't strikes again. And it will only get worse....First they came for ...and I said nothing....
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    The owners abandoned their year round customers in "Lieu" of the seasonal Tour bus customers who prefer "Steel Cut Oats" for breakfast instead of Bacon and Eggs. And they think that drinking and playing Pool is offensive. So they got rid of the Pool table. And "last call" is before the fun used to START! The water issue seems like it could be easily resolved. But, it probably gets more mileage for them as an excuse for failure. YMMV

20yr Customer
    Sounds about right.

Anyone got any owner contact info or selling info..PM me if you do.

I sent them an email..

Thanks,
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Overheard a fella whilst out to dinner speaking to a tune that SCL was shut down and that the owners are done. Huge bummer as I've enjoyed stopping in after every northern trek.

Apparently on April 11th the State DEC closed them down under some sort of water restriction.

907-495-6227

This link goes to a facebook page with the whole story...http://tinyurl.com/bqrkpm3

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of a "boil down" can share some info. Something with the ground water interfering with surface water or vice versa.
    Ground water under the direct influence of surface water is the same as surface water. A Boil Water Notice just means the owner is required to boil water before he uses it to cook with or serve to customers.

Googled. http://www.caslab.com/Ground_Water_U...Water_Meaning/

What is a Boil Water Advisory? Is it the same as a Boil Water Notice?
    A Boil Water Advisory (BWA) is a public statement advising customers to boil tap water before consuming it. Advisories are issued when an event has occurred allowing the possibility for the water distribution system to become contaminated. An advisory does not mean that the water is contaminated, but rather that it could be contaminated; because the water quality is unknown, customers should assume the water is unsafe to drink and take the appropriate precautions. An advisory is different from a Boil Water Notice, which is issued when contamination is confirmed in the water system. During a notice, all customers must boil their water before consuming it or use bottled water.

It sounds he was not forced to close but rather closed on his own.

Outside of the folks whom have posted here suggesting they were already looking to close - the rest of the world believes it was because of the state.

Perhaps the issue simply curbed their timeline.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Outside of the folks whom have posted here suggesting they were already looking to close - the rest of the world believes it was because of the state.

Perhaps the issue simply curbed their timeline.
    That might be because the rest of the world heard what they wanted to hear (did anyone think to ask the state what's up?) In any case, it really doesn't matter, it's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That might be because the rest of the world heard what they wanted to hear (did anyone think to ask the state what's up?) In any case, it really doesn't matter, it's closed.
    Agreed. The State doesn't go around throwing closures of this nature at random people. Likely more tonthe big picture.

Way of the times boys. Eureka lodge is up for sale, a lodge at Lake Louise has been for sale for years plus another is for sure closing for the winter next year and now this. I heard even a lodge over at Crosswinds has been repo back to the original owners. Takes a heck of a lot to just keeping these places warm and lit up not to mention all the State licensing and codes. Support your local favorite lodges or they could be next...

They've had a hard time keeping it open since they bought it. Frankly, if I received a notice like that from the State it would just be time to hang it up. SuperCub can complain about how they operated the bar, but at least they ran off the meth and pot sales that happened there before they bought it. I wish Fred and Phenie all the best in the future.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The only way I'm shutting down or leaving is if they haul me out in a bag... It's a tough business for sure. I sure never got into it for the money, just a way so that the family could live in a place like that and enjoy every day. It is tough with all these massive corporations running the tourism industry in the State. Hard to compete, for sure. Wish there was a way to keep all the small lodges going... The regulations are built for these massive lodges, and I can tell you first hand, it's really expensive to stay in line with them. If there ever is a profit, it'll probably just cover another requirment or regulation. Really hope they work it out, as we enjoy stopping at Sheep Creek every time we go by.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast