Thread: white king!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default white king!

yesterday I trolled up 2 cod, had one king about 15-20lber, I thought it was another cod, then when he got close to the boat I saw it was a king an as he ran it came off. Today this one bit at 35 ft and hit like the cod it just tugged and tugged, this time I let it pull free from the release on its own, verses me cranking up the rigger then it coming free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    yesterday I trolled up 2 cod, had one king about 15-20lber, I thought it was another cod, then when he got close to the boat I saw it was a king an as he ran it came off. Today this one bit at 35 ft and hit like the cod it just tugged and tugged, this time I let it pull free from the release on its own, verses me cranking up the rigger then it coming free.
    That's a beauty! And funny you mentioned the tugging. All 3 of the kings I've caught in the last week took about 10 to 15 seconds to pull the line out of the clip. The one I caught last week I actually had to pull the line out of the clip myself. I think they're getting lazy.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I love the bloody pictures.. Good job.

Nice fish man!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I love the bloody pictures.. Good job.
    I use a Aftco gaff when fishing for myself, some guests don't mind but most want the net. The net slows e erything Down.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Nice fish. I like smoking the whites.

Same thing with this 17-lb. my Ruth caught on Weds. I had to pop it loose, she set the hook, then it was off to the races!

RKingLR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Same thing with this 17-lb. my Ruth caught on Weds. I had to pop it loose, she set the hook, then it was off to the races!

RKingLR.jpg
    All right Ruth!!! Nice one!

I don't know if it's just a weird coincidence or what, but why so many fish with such a lethargic strike and all in the same size range? And then they take off like a freight train once you set the hook on them. The first one I caught I really thought it was either a cod or a rock fish tugging on my line, but as soon as I popped the line free it just headed for Augustine like it was late for a date.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I use a Aftco gaff when fishing for myself, some guests don't mind but most want the net. The net slows e erything Down.
    same here, except I use a wood handled gaff so I can give them a good tap on the head before I toss em aboard. Most everything gets gaffed when I'm sport fishing out of my skiff. I've been known to gaff a lot of kings on charters too if I don't want to draw any attention from nearby charter boats. Wave a net and be prepared for things to get crowded.

nice fish

Boy, I sure love your post/pics of your feeders down in Kodiak. What fatties! Those fish are like footballs. What girth! thanks for your post/pics....
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!