Thread: 358Win - 225gr Accubond - TAC Powder - Awesome!!!

Default 358Win - 225gr Accubond - TAC Powder - Awesome!!!

My Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win is not a long range gun, and BC out to 300 yards means pretty much nothing so I decided after reading some comments on the 358Win again last night to actually reduce my powder charge of TAC by 2 grains and go see for myself the accuracy and velocity.

Three shot group at 100yds 225gr Accubond just a little more accurate than my 2556fps load

Note: No pressure signs at all.

It is a shame that Ruger dropped this cartridge and it is not available with Ruger, they stopped a couple of years ago, and dropped them from their line. The 358Win has been a very impressive cartridge in taking game. At this moment, so far, not a single animal has moved from where they stood when I shot them.

You do not see that ripple wave move up and back the length of the animal when you hit them with the 358win like you do with some magnum cartridges, but what you see is an animal that just folds up like a stack of cards that has been knock down. The animal just collapses in their tracks.

Let me put it this way, if Nosler chambered one in a M48 TGR, and gave it a magazine long enough like the Ruger Hawkeye so the 225gr Accubond could be used, I would go straight to the bank, borrow the money and buy one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice! A hugely under-rated cartridge.

So what you are saying is you are driving a 225 grn bullet in excess of 2500fps at the muzzle. That seems hard to figure as I cannot get 2300 fps with my 225 noslers. Admittedly I am a bit of a coward and will not go above suggested powders. I wonder if that load would push my 225 grn noslers that fast? What is your powder in grains with TAC?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    So what you are saying is you are driving a 225 grn bullet in excess of 2500fps at the muzzle.
    Actually my load was two grains higher and I was getting 2556fps at muzzle, but was not as accurate as this load.

That seems hard to figure as I cannot get 2300 fps with my 225 noslers.
    I guess it is hard for you to figure since you do not go through what I do to make sure I am not over pressure and even I cannot drive the Patition as fast as the Accubond using the same powder.

Admittedly I am a bit of a coward and will not go above suggested powders.
    All of my loads using powder that is not listed in manuals and is at the near Max load in Quick/Load I use a strain gauge from Southwest Products, so it has nothing to do with me being a fool and trying to push the envelope on pressures while you claim to be a coward implying (and I hope not in subtle way), that you are wise and I am practicing reloading on or over the edge.

I wonder if that load would push my 225 grn noslers that fast? What is your powder in grains with TAC?
    I have no idea what my load would do in your rifle with a different chamber and barrel without using a strain gauge and since that is the case with me using TAC, being a load specifically developed for my rifle, in my testing, I will not give out the powder charge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

As soon as I get one of my three rifles I am waiting for: .300 RUM, .375 Weatherby or .223 Remmie upper, I'll post some pix of what the Southwest Products Pressure Trace looks like and how to use it. It is pretty much the definitive way to go (outside of a SAAMI testing set-up), when testing out new loads. You can mount the strain gage on the bottom of the barrel to connect to the unit so the gage isn't visible too.

Beartooth is an experienced, published reloader and hunter. He has been putting up photos of his rifles and the results on here for years, so it would be a good idea to listen to what he has to say regarding a particular rifle/load.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Heck I have a pound of TAC sitting around. Retubing a Kimber Montana to a 358 win sounds like a sweet project!!

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have no idea what my load would do in your rifle with a different chamber and barrel without using a strain gauge and since that is the case with me using TAC, being a load specifically developed for my rifle, in my testing, I will not give out the powder charge.
    As they say in "Indian Jones"..."you chose....wisely"

Too many good reasons not to give out powder charges. Stick to the books and improvise at your own expense and (possibly) peril!

BearTooth,
    Whoa! I am really quite happy you can get that type of performance out of a 358 WIN. I have both a 358 WIN and 358 JDJ. Trying to retire mt 375 WIN MAG due to the gun's heaviness. My apologies to responding to your post, as I am always interested in 358 loads, especially 225 GRN Noslers.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

For those that are really interested in the performance and the positive attributes of the 358Win, and in case you did not get a chance to read this, here is an article on the 358Win I wrote for Nosler, hope you enjoy reading it. http://www.nosler.com/articles/2011/...just-wont-die/
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

How many grains above the reloading books max charge is this load and what's your OAL for this cartridge?

If there were book max loads for this powder and bullet and I gave grains above the max load (whatever that might be) I would be giving out my load that works fine in my rifle, but don't know if it would in another one, but there are no reloading manuals using TAC with the 225gr Accubond to my knowledge, hence I used the strain gauge and so I will not be posting a powder charge. Now my COAL is 2.804" for this specific load.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I tried TAC in my 350Rem mag recently using the Sierra 225gr game king. I'm getting right at 2800fps with groups around 5/8" and no pressure signs. I'm done looking for a better load. I was thinking it would work well in the 358 Win.

Anything the 338 Federal can handle, the 358 Winchester can handle at lower pressure because of the larger bore. Max load of TAC in the Federal is 44.1 grains, so I'd start at about 42 grains in the .358 and work up.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...dgun_rifle.pdf