Thread: Green Island

Default Green Island

We have a trip planed to Green Island at the end of June. Any advice on fishing or shrimping in the area from the forum? I appreciate any info you have and I'm looking forward to seeing the area. Thanks, - Doug

Fishing should be good off the South end of the island around the needles. I would not expect paticularly good shrimping around there, but didn't get a chance to drop my pots last time we were there. I imagine in addition to bottom fish the silvers will probably be starting to make their way back, as well as the pinks.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for te info Paul.

Never had a problem picking up Butts, lings and rockfish there. Drift the numerous pinnacles around the island and you'll get something. But be careful, its easy to get hung up on the bottom. I've also had good luck at the needles, nothing big, but very consistent action. Coordinates don't always pan out, I've never gone back to a specific spot the next day or trip and killed them like the last time.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

More good advice....hoping for the right weather to get there.

You can always hide out at Disk Island and fish the N end of Knight on the Lee side if it's too rough to make it to Green.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The cove inside Green, next to the cabin is a good place to tuck into for the night. If the weather turns and u can't make it to Disk, thats always been a good place to hide..till the weather improves. Be weary of the weather, it can change from glass to hell in no time. TRUST ME, I've been there and its no fun.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    The cove inside Green, next to the cabin is a good place to tuck into for the night. If the weather turns and u can't make it to Disk, thats always been a good place to hide..till the weather improves. Be weary of the weather, it can change from glass to hell in no time. TRUST ME, I've been there and its no fun.
    DITTO!!

When you heading out there? We have the cabin rented June 24 - 26. I read in the PWS Crusing Guide one thing to watch out for is the minus tide in Gibbon anchorage. They don't advise anchoring there during minus due to rocks and eelgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasuun View Post
    We have a trip planed to Green Island at the end of June. Any advice on fishing or shrimping in the area from the forum? I appreciate any info you have and I'm looking forward to seeing the area. Thanks, - Doug

We have the cabin from the 26th through the 28th so it looks like we are right behind you. Good to know about the minus tide, thanks. We are looking forward to the trip!

I'll try to let you know how it goes before you leave. You might be coming in as we are heading back home though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasuun View Post
    We have the cabin from the 26th through the 28th so it looks like we are right behind you. Good to know about the minus tide, thanks. We are looking forward to the trip!

I read in the PWS Crusing Guide one thing to watch out for is the minus tide in Gibbon anchorage. They don't advise anchoring there during minus due to rocks and eelgrass.
    AKluvr95,

The inner bay southwest of the cabin is an excellent and secure anchorage. Here is a Google Map link with the anchorage in the center of the satellite image:
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=60.291449...52142&t=h&z=15
    The bottom is clay/mud with good holding properties. I have always used the anchorage during the 4 or 5 trips I have made to Green Island. There is a shoal at the mouth of the inner bay that you should take your time going over. I think the shallowest depth sounder readings I have seen over the shoal was 4-5' at lowest stages of the tide.

Navigating around Green Island is spooky the first time there and I would not do it with out a good chart plotter and depth sounder. My Garmin charter plotter's mapping of the channels you need to follow seems accurate. Always pay attention to the plotter and stay in the channels.

Doug

Thanks for the info ~ the wife will be along so you can bet we'll be extra careful. We are really looking forward to this trip and pray for good weather. Our chartplotter is a Garmin as well and it does seem highly accurate though we are always extra cautious in unfamiliar territory.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    AKluvr95,

The inner bay southwest of the cabin is an excellent and secure anchorage. Here is a Google Map link with the anchorage in the center of the satellite image:
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=60.291449...52142&t=h&z=15
    The bottom is clay/mud with good holding properties. I have always used the anchorage during the 4 or 5 trips I have made to Green Island. There is a shoal at the mouth of the inner bay that you should take your time going over. I think the shallowest depth sounder readings I have seen over the shoal was 4-5' at lowest stages of the tide.

Navigating around Green Island is spooky the first time there and I would not do it with out a good chart plotter and depth sounder. My Garmin charter plotter's mapping of the channels you need to follow seems accurate. Always pay attention to the plotter and stay in the channels.

Doug