Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: I'm outta here!

  1. #1
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default I'm outta here!

    Well boys and girls. I've accepted a job in Rock Springs Wyoming. So after 12 AWESOME years in Alaska, I am moving on. It's sad to go, but am also excited for new hunting opportunities. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have helped me out with all of your posts. I'll still stalk the sight but will spend less time at it now that I have A LOT to get done. The scariest part for me is getting all of my trophies through Canada. People have mentioned shipping, but I have a 9 1/2' life sized brown bear, life sized goat and several other heads, rugs, etc. If I don't make it through you can visit me at your nearest Canadian prison. Thanks again for all the info you've all offered up over the years.
    Scott

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Sorry to see ya go Buddy, but best wishes on the new job.

    Here is a link for the required paperwork, looks like you better get started as you are going to need Cites permits and exportation paperwork.

    Feel free to send me info on all your honey holes.

    Best of luck!!!

    Steve


    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.shipping
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    I moved up here 20 years ago from Rock Springs, Wyoming. It's a pretty dumpy little town but there's a lot of good hunting and fishing going on a short drive from there. I figured, if I couldn't make it in Alaska, Wyoming is where I would end up. Wyoming is IMO the second nicest state in the US. I am still not sure whether or not I can make it in Alaska, figure I'll just give it another 20 years and see. Best of luck to you, and be sure and fish the Green River in Utah, it's only a little over an hour drive away.

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I moved up here 20 years ago from Rock Springs, Wyoming. It's a pretty dumpy little town but there's a lot of good hunting and fishing going on a short drive from there. I figured, if I couldn't make it in Alaska, Wyoming is where I would end up. Wyoming is IMO the second nicest state in the US. I am still not sure whether or not I can make it in Alaska, figure I'll just give it another 20 years and see. Best of luck to you, and be sure and fish the Green River in Utah, it's only a little over an hour drive away.
    Well I've lived up here almost 30 and still don't know if I'll make it....lol. Good luck Scott, WY. is indeed a beautiful place...!!!

  5. #5
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Some of us have found that life can indeed get better a bit south of AK...and hunting can be darn good too.
    Godspeed on the move.
    Proud to be an American!

  6. #6
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    And some of them feel the need to justify the move south every chance they get...
    Bon voyage. Life is good wherever you hang your hat... or unhang your hat. It's all about perception.

  7. #7
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    And some of them feel the need to justify the move south every chance they get...
    Bon voyage. Life is good wherever you hang your hat... or unhang your hat. It's all about perception.

    Could not be said any better... I left in 87 and went back to Pennslvania (kicking and screaming) and almost 20 years to the day I returned via Oklahoma and Colorado. Make the best of every place you hang your hat, and we'll see you when you get back.... 😄
    Tony

  8. #8
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    And some of them feel the need to justify the move south every chance they get...
    Bon voyage. Life is good wherever you hang your hat... or unhang your hat. It's all about perception.
    Hmmmm...sour grapes me thinks.
    Long Winters will do that.
    "Justify" leads one to think that there are regrets. Au contraire.



    Goaty drop a PM my way if you get into the north Idaho country....
    Proud to be an American!

  9. #9
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Hmmmm...sour grapes me thinks.
    Long Winters will do that.
    "Justify" leads one to think that there are regrets. Au contraire.



    Goaty drop a PM my way if you get into the north Idaho country....
    Frank, every time someone posts a thread saying they are moving south, you are quick to respond how much better things are in the southland. That just seems a little strange to me. I'm sure things are wonderful for you in Idaho, and good for you that you have no regrets. But Alaska is the only place for many of us, right up to the point when we are laid in the ground. It's just the way we are. And to have Alaska bad mouthed- like you have done several times- because you didn't find the state to be your cup of tea just wrankels me. If you think that is "sour grapes" so be it.
    Clearly Alaska isn't for everybody, and I'm actually happy about that. Still, I'd have a hard time counting the folks I know who have moved outside and then come back, because, like me, Alaska got into their blood and there's no getting it out.

  10. #10

    Default

    Best of luck down south....Me I'm looking to head north. As has been said, Alaska gets in your soul and short of living there nothing will suffice. I envy so many of you guys and gals that are living the dream in the last great state...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Frank, every time someone posts a thread saying they are moving south, you are quick to respond how much better things are in the southland. That just seems a little strange to me. I'm sure things are wonderful for you in Idaho, and good for you that you have no regrets. But Alaska is the only place for many of us, right up to the point when we are laid in the ground. It's just the way we are. And to have Alaska bad mouthed- like you have done several times- because you didn't find the state to be your cup of tea just wrankels me. If you think that is "sour grapes" so be it.
    Clearly Alaska isn't for everybody, and I'm actually happy about that. Still, I'd have a hard time counting the folks I know who have moved outside and then come back, because, like me, Alaska got into their blood and there's no getting it out.
    easy young whipper snapper
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  12. #12
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Easy there Steve,
    I love Alaska but am enjoying life less demanding; that is all...
    I don't badmouth Alaska.

    Although I did cuss out a flock of skeeters down in Minto one afternoon. Almost carried us away...
    Proud to be an American!

  13. #13
    Member shmobag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Natural gas fields? My father-in-law worked in the natural gas fields in rock springs for awhile. lots of pronghorn out there. He said the town was small but the price of stuff was pretty high, cost of living is pretty high also.

  14. #14
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Easy there Steve,
    I love Alaska but am enjoying life less demanding; that is all...
    I don't badmouth Alaska.

    Although I did cuss out a flock of skeeters down in Minto one afternoon. Almost carried us away...
    I'd have to say "less demanding" is a pretty relative term....

  15. #15

    Default

    Good luck to you. A friend of mine moved to Wyoming a few months ago. Plenty of critters to hunt and longer hunting seasons with more variety of game, both big and small. Gas was under 3 bucks a gallon and no state income tax a long with being the least populated of the south 48 states. Alaska and Canada are still the places to hunt if you want big brown bear, sheep, caribou and moose. Lots of other stuff available in Wyoming that we don't have.

  16. #16
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'd have to say "less demanding" is a pretty relative term....
    Indeed it is....
    After over ten years in the interior, I'd say I have a pretty decent idea though.
    Proud to be an American!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    anchorage alaska
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Yep. My old stomping grounds. 25 years gone from Medicine Bow, Wyoming. The Wind River range is great for hunting and fishing. Just diffrent than here. Good luck, my brother works out there somewhere.

  18. #18
    Member RainGull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The S.E. of the N.W.
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Good luck to you. A friend of mine moved to Wyoming a few months ago. Plenty of critters to hunt and longer hunting seasons with more variety of game, both big and small. Gas was under 3 bucks a gallon and no state income tax a long with being the least populated of the south 48 states. Alaska and Canada are still the places to hunt if you want big brown bear, sheep, caribou and moose. Lots of other stuff available in Wyoming that we don't have.
    Like sheep and cowboys... The best thing to ever come out of Wyoming was Chris Ledoux. The worst was probably the foreman I landscaped under right out of high school.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

  19. #19
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default

    So here's a little background. I grew up in Cheyenne and my parents (and I) moved to Boise when I was in highschool. I haven't lived there since '84. I agree with whoever said it's the 2nd best state for hunting and I'm excited to hunt mulies, antelope and elk again. I'm a teacher and the opportunities in WY are much better than here. (hard to believe, but AK has taken a dive as far as education) I'll be teaching 4th grade there. I used to ride bulls on the rodeo circuit and hope my boys might want to do some of the same. We'll be getting back into horses, I love hunting with horses. I've loved all the opportunities I've had up here, but I'm also excited for the new opportunites I'll be having down there. Oh ya, I've decided to barge my 19' enclosed snow machine trailer. It will cost 2K but it's much more comforting than trying to get all my trophies across the Canadian border. We'll pick them up in Seattle. Thanks for all of your well wishes.

  20. #20
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Best of luck to you brother. Some of my best friends live in WY. and if AK didn't exist, I'd live there too. Enjoy yourself, and make the most of that beautiful place in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •