Thread: Delta Sheep Hunting

Default Delta Sheep Hunting

I drew DS204 (Delta late season Sheep)

I have been doing my research on this forum and on the internet about Delta Sheep hunting, have learned a lot. My plan was to PM all the people that I have read about on this forum that have hunted that area before, to ask for info. But when i sat down to PM everyone I found out that since I am to new or don't have enough posts, I can't PM any one. So hopefully this will reach a Sheep hunter that is willing to give some helpful advice.

Several area's seem to be common knowledge like Johnson Glacier, Castner, July Creek and Granite Mnt. to name a few. I grew up in Alaska hunting and fishing and am very comfortable outdoors, but have never been sheep hunting. It has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Is there anyone who has hunted this area before that is willing to give me more specific info than I can find on this forum? Any helpful hints will be really appreciated (locations, access points, best time of the season). I will be accessing the area by 4 wheeler and will be spending either the first 10 days of the season out there or the last 10 days. Send me a PM. I am really looking forward to this hunt of a life time and meeting people along the way.

Also any books you recommend reading on sheep hunting up here in Alaska?

Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ. Available on this website.

Default been there

Quote Originally Posted by AKJG View Post
    I drew DS204 (Delta late season Sheep)

I have been doing my research on this forum and on the internet about Delta Sheep hunting, have learned a lot. My plan was to PM all the people that I have read about on this forum that have hunted that area before, to ask for info. But when i sat down to PM everyone I found out that since I am to new or don't have enough posts, I can't PM any one. So hopefully this will reach a Sheep hunter that is willing to give some helpful advice.

Several area's seem to be common knowledge like Johnson Glacier, Castner, July Creek and Granite Mnt. to name a few. I grew up in Alaska hunting and fishing and am very comfortable outdoors, but have never been sheep hunting. It has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Is there anyone who has hunted this area before that is willing to give me more specific info than I can find on this forum? Any helpful hints will be really appreciated (locations, access points, best time of the season). I will be accessing the area by 4 wheeler and will be spending either the first 10 days of the season out there or the last 10 days. Send me a PM. I am really looking forward to this hunt of a life time and meeting people along the way.

Also any books you recommend reading on sheep hunting up here in Alaska?
    send me a pm. i have info that might help

I'm cornfused! To PM or not to PM...? That is the question.....

For the record, I believe you need 20 posts and 30 days as a member to send/receive PM's

6 more posts and your in like Flynn!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

sh, I can't sent you a PM yet. The forum wont let me cause im new.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJG View Post
    sh, I can't sent you a PM yet. The forum wont let me cause im new.
    ........4 more AKJG

Just stack em on this thread... its yours to do as you wish
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

15 posts and 30 days, for what it's worth.

awesome, thanks! 3 more now?...

almost there!... 2 more

I think i'm at 15 now, If you have posted about the Delta Sheep hunt within the past 7 or so years there might be a PM coming your way from me. If you have any info you would like to share, please feel free to PM me. Looking forward to meeting some cool people on here.

Whew
    Welcome to the posts AKJG.
    Dan

Oh sure Brian, get all technical on us...
    Steve

After many, many years of applying was successfully drawn for DCUA in 2006. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

This area and the Tok area have a page at the F&G website. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...phunting.delta. Quite a bit of information here.

Even though this is the motorized hunt, there are sheep within walking distances of the road that you may find. A friend of mine hunted this a few years ago and found a legal ram within a few miles of the road.

I hunted it in 2009 and took everyone's advice and flew in. I was told that 4 wheelers couldn't get into these areas...well, there were 4 wheeler tracks on the strip we landed on. Flying was helpful in that is shaved a bunch of time off our hunt. My partner (party tag) had limited time off. I'd guess we would have spent 1 day traveling in each direction, so it was worth it to us, but some of these areas you can access on an ATV.

Where might one start out for the walk in? I drew a party tag for that this year! I have a bunch of areas in mind but any thoughts would be great. Lots of scouting to do this summer.