Thread: Awesome Thursday weather

Default Awesome Thursday weather

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335465040.715817.jpg

Waters great off bluffs. Anyone else out today?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wbeyff

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post

Sure wish I was! Looks fantastic, have a great day out there and let us know what you find!

---
    That is so mean! My boats not in-state yet and I'm getting rained on in Washington!

---
    Unfortunately I am running around town getting ready for a charter this Sat., so I'm drooling over the weather/water wishing I was. If you get this I would be fishing off of the Diamond Gulch area---about 70 ft. of water with herring about 40 ft. down. That's where I have caught all mine lately. I also heard that the south Anchor marker has been very good lately as well. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Charterboat Operator

DOH!!!
    you are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    either you stayed out all night or got skunked??????
    c'mon, wheres the report?????

Lol
    We got sk.....
    Didn't catch a king
    A few cod only

However I did get sun burned hehe

I saw a friend down on the dock earlier today and she caught and released one king about 17 lbs. off the Bluffs this morning. I'll be out there tomorrow with a client.

I was in the office riding a computer.

I bet you had a better day than I did!

Lol
    We got sk.....
    Didn't catch a king
    A few cod only

However I did get sun burned hehe

Out of Seward Thursday afternoon, overnighted in SW PWS, for the most part perfect weather, both ways across Blying sound was at 3600 RPM with a GPS speed of 31-2 mph, some roll, otherwise real smooth. Fishing lots of 8 to 10 lb rockfish, caught 2 days limit, Lingcod where everywhere, released all of them ... but it was not easy to unhook the two big ones both were at least 4 ft long and big around. Still not summer, a very cold at night, ran a cabin heater all night. Early Friday ran into some winds on the east side of Montague about 25-30 mph with 3 to 4 foot seas for a few hours .... then it magically disappeared and back to near calm. From Cape Fairfield east there were Humpback whales everywhere .... great to be back out on the water.

Pretty decent day out on K-Bay today despite the "3 ft. seas" the morning marine forecast was calling for. It actually got almost glassy about mid day. Put 4 halibut in the boat in the middle of the bay and then a 9 lb. king off the Bluffs. Getting back to the harbor from the Bluffs was the brutal part with 3 ft. wind waves coming directly at us. OUCH!

---
    ALL WEEK...!!! I have been driving K-Beach rd. on the way to work looking at the glass out there and wishing I was out there in it... You lucky dogs...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Pretty decent day out on K-Bay today despite the "3 ft. seas" the morning marine forecast was calling for. It actually got almost glassy about mid day. Put 4 halibut in the boat in the middle of the bay and then a 9 lb. king off the Bluffs. Getting back to the harbor from the Bluffs was the brutal part with 3 ft. wind waves coming directly at us. OUCH!
    What do you do with clients on bad water days? Head east?

What do you do with clients on bad water days? Head east?
    That's a really tough one to answer and really depends on a lot of different factors. If the wind is blowing strong anywhere from east to southeast it's going to be pretty rough just about anywhere west of the Spit, but over on the other side (Anisom Pt./Yukon/etc.) it might be protected and very fishable. If the wind is out of the west and blowing 4 ft. wind waves onto the Spit it's going to be pretty bad anywhere you go in the Bay proper, but if you can make it across to the other side it might be nice inside the islands. This sounds pretty obvious, but the more time you spend out there the better you get to know where things are going to be fishable with various weather patterns.

Just an interesting aside. The morning marine forecast for K-Bay today was for "NE wind increasing to 20 kt this morning. Seas 3 ft. rain." At 10:15 the wind at the end of the Spit was WSW at 2.9 kts. and I sure haven't seen any rain yet. In fact if I wasn't dead from a 14 hour day yesterday I think I'd be out fishing. Looks pretty nice out there from what I can see.

Yea I've fished behind the islands in poor water also but the last 1/4 mile as you go past Cohen can sure get rough. We had good three footers till Cohen and then easily hit some 6 footers right there. Maybe circling up from chinapoot would be calmer. Have you fished bear cove for winters? I heard the cruise there often

Yea I've fished behind the islands in poor water also but the last 1/4 mile as you go past Cohen can sure get rough. We had good three footers till Cohen and then easily hit some 6 footers right there. Maybe circling up from chinapoot would be calmer. Have you fished bear cove for winters? I heard the cruise there often
    Yeah, it's always hard to really predict where the water is going to be bad. As you're probably well aware the wind and wave direction can change at the drop of a hat. And combine that with a tidal drop of 28 ft. on a bad day and all bets are off! LOL! I was in "the islands" fishing one day and started back across to the Spit and everything was fine for about the first half mile or so and then abruptly ran into 6 to 7 footers. And those spaces like between Cohen and Yukon can be just like a wind tunnel.

Bear Cove and along the rock faces outside the cove can be great for kings at times. The biggest problem I've had there are the typical afternoon west wind that blows up often times during the summer. You get down there and fish all day and when you head back you're driving directly into 3 ft. wind waves all the way to the harbor. That can be painful.

suck it up and just go!!
    Busting thru.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

PotBuilder,
    Cape Ann Images? I spent my summers in Gloucester where my mother was born, on Long Beach. Know it?

jim

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    suck it up and just go!!
    Busting thru.jpg
    I think your loaded a little heavy lol. 1/2" freeboard is cutting it a little close.

That's Glousta' ain't it ??? Been there on my visits and boat hunt, the new boat came from Rockport moored at the Granite Pier. I really like that part of the world, real fishing town and they take good care of the commercial guys there. I like eating my way through there every time we go back. Lobstah pie and fried clam bellies are my favorites!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692